MAINTENANCE : Bleeding the Brakes on a Jeep JK Wrangler

jman_12

I'll be installing teraflex 1 inch front spacers soon and was wondering if brake bleeding was required?

dwilkening

Great Write-Up

Here it is June 2015 and this tread is still helping Jeep owners. I am doing my own brake pad (front & rear) and fluid change this weekend and this is just what I needed to do it confidently.
Thanks for all the help.

DMF

I did mine 2 weeks ago with a home made bleeder. Can't believe how easy it was to follow these steps and I use to pay to have this done.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Been reading this a few times just to make sure I do it right when I install my longer brake lines! Thanks for the great write up as always Eddie!

cbmatt66

Changed out my rear drivers side caliper last weekend. The procedure worked perfect. Thanks for the write-up.

DozerTheJeep

I have a 2012 jku and I blew my passenger side right caliper. So I replaced my front brake calipers rotors and brake pads as well as master cylinder (all teraflex, the big brake kit). I bled the brakes back to front as you should. I still have a soft brake pedal like I did when the caliper blew. Basically no brakes. Could this have anything to do with abs or anything I'm unaware of? Did I break my brake booster? Computer need to be reset or something? I'm kinda clueless at this point, anything helps, thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heavyhaul07

I have a 2012 jku and I blew my passenger side right caliper. So I replaced my front brake calipers rotors and brake pads as well as master cylinder (all teraflex, the big brake kit). I bled the brakes back to front as you should. I still have a soft brake pedal like I did when the caliper blew. Basically no brakes. Could this have anything to do with abs or anything I'm unaware of? Did I break my brake booster? Computer need to be reset or something? I'm kinda clueless at this point, anything helps, thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did u bench bleed the master before installing? You should every time when doing a master cylinder. If you didn't then get a friend over and bleed the master in car. With your friend have him pump peddle and hold while you loosen the brake line at master to remove air then re bleed the rest of the system starting at the right rear.

If you don't have a friend to help Take a small bottle of brake fluid and put it in your reservoir and leave it in there upside down go to your right rear wheel and open your bleeder and bleed the brakes that way "gravity bleeding " until u know you have no air bubbles coming out. Do the other 3 the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just coming back to it but this thread actually helped me after I installed my lift and couldn't get the breaker to work wasted a bit of 3 dot but once I found the thread I was good to go needed that plastic tubing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jknikos

Thanks for the writeup. I will bleed my brakes for the first time and I know probably it is a stupid question but better be safe than sorry. Should I have the engine running and have vacuum or not?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the writeup. I will bleed my brakes for the first time and I know probably it is a stupid question but better be safe than sorry. Should I have the engine running and have vacuum or not?

No. Not necessary. Your vacuum booster has nothing to do with the hydraulic part of the brake system.

Top Bottom