Notes for Mud Terrain Newbies

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hi all,
I switched to mud terrains a week ago & it was a bit of an adjustment. I'm running the same diameter, but different width than I was so it should be a good straightforward comparison. I just wanted to put up a bit about the differences so other folks like me can understand a bit about what that's like after being on a "normal" tire. Some of this might seem obvious, but it's a big overall difference. Also I hope some of this helps anyone considering MT vs AT like a KO2 or a KM2.

They're noisy & vibrate. You've got these huge voids in between the treads now. You'll literally feel tread especially at lower speeds like at red lights. You're going to hear more noise all round & a bit of a bass tone hum on the highway.

Adjust your driving style. I had to change how much gas I give it from a complete stop now because they loose traction a bit. Also it feels like my braking distance is way longer. Give yourself some extra room while you get used to them. Also, take it easy on exit ramps and the like for the same reason.

MPG is going down. This one is obvious, but still don't get caught off guard. I was a bit surprised at first. I lost a mile & a half according to the computer.

They're softer & bouncier (?). This may be more because I switched from 18" to 17" wheels, but I feel like the tire bounces a bit more and isn't as stiff. Just a difference in ride quality.

Anyone got anything to add??

Sent from my duck blind.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A lot of other things add into your comparison. One of the major ones is that they could even be different load ranges from an 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. Also number of plys will play a huge roll. So your soft and bouncier plays into all of that.

WJCO

Meme King
As others have stated, if this is your first time going from an AT tire to a MT tire, you will hear and feel things that are different to you. Eventually, you just get use to it.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I didn't notice much of a difference on the road when I went from street tires to my Dynapro M/Ts. I noticed the biggest difference when I switched from the stock wheels to a set of wheels with negative offset, and wider.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
When changing tire width the vehicle can track different (follow ruts, groves in the pavement, etc.)

The vehicle will also squirm under corner loads before it settles down in a turn. However when they waer down a bit they can feel better because they tend to have thicker sidewalls.

An MT usually is worse on wet and icy roads than an AT, however they can be better in slush and deep snow.

jeep670

... and if you feel those slow speed vibrations getting worse after a while, you already cupped them. Avoid cupping muds by rotating more often.

Top Bottom