Windshield sealing (2010 TJ)

JeepManX

Hey folks,

A couple of months ago I noticed that my windshield leaks, not badly, but the seal was loose or damaged somewhere near the upper corner (driver's side). And I did not pay much attention as usually I either drive it or it sits in a garage. But recently I had to leave it outside overnight, and it rained heavily. So when I got into the vehicle, there was a huge puddle on the floor! And the worth thing, a night after I wiped it off strong odour appeared.... That is what I've got now, and Wanted to ask you folks something. First, does anyone know a good way to get rid of the smell? Second, what do I do to re-seal the windsheild? My TJ is 2010, and I believe the OE seal may be no good already...

Thanx...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey folks,

A couple of months ago I noticed that my windshield leaks, not badly, but the seal was loose or damaged somewhere near the upper corner (driver's side). And I did not pay much attention as usually I either drive it or it sits in a garage. But recently I had to leave it outside overnight, and it rained heavily. So when I got into the vehicle, there was a huge puddle on the floor! And the worth thing, a night after I wiped it off strong odour appeared.... That is what I've got now, and Wanted to ask you folks something. First, does anyone know a good way to get rid of the smell? Second, what do I do to re-seal the windsheild? My TJ is 2010, and I believe the OE seal may be no good already...

Thanx...

Do you mean a 2001 tj or a 2010 jk?

Not really sure how to seal the windshield but for the smell they make a vent freshener that will help remove the musty smell

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I would check to make sure its not your soft/hard top seal leaking. As far as the smell, pull the carpets and clean them.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Sounds like your top may be leaking. Are you sure it's the windshield?

I only ask because my windshield leaks. But only when I'm going down the highway in a rain storm, and when my Jeep is parked in the rain it all drips down and not in because there is no wind blowing it into the windshield. It's because when I flip the windshield down offroad, I think the hood gets so hot it just melted the sealant and my seal is coming out on the top.

JeepManX

Man, it's 2001, my bad, just a typo... It's a TJ. I took a bpttle with water and spilled it all around the windshield seal to discover what's leaking... And it appeared the windshield seal.
Thans for replying, folks, I'll try washing the carpets, because I can't stand that smell. Or maybe will grab new ones. And as for the windshield seal, I saw a new weatherstrip (https://www.carid.com/windshield-seals/), so perhaps will replace the OE thing, as I believe it leaks due to its age.
Cheers! :beer:

Last edited:

Oreo_penguin536

My yj has the same issue except I think the hard top is cracking/ separating from itself (where it’s screwed in to where it isnt if that makes sense). I’m going to run some silicon over it this weekend to help keep things at bay

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom