Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Ok, here is what I got in writing from Geico.

This is just on our general policy paperwork, stating you must declare the custom items:
    Attachment 244323

And this is what I got the other day as proof that my items are itemized:
    Attachment 244322

No idea what "Mag wheels" are but that's how they coded it. It's just my wheels that are in the mail right now.
    This is what I've been trying to get out of Geico for the past few years! My policy states a specific dollar amount of blanketed aftermarket parts . I still find it odd that they told me no on the gears and yes on the tires but the opposite for you. Unfortunately in most cases we really don't find out what they truly will cover until a claim is filed.

Quote Originally Posted by xxJWPxx View Post
    This is what I've been trying to get out of Geico for the past few years! My policy states a specific dollar amount of blanketed aftermarket parts . I still find it odd that they told me no on the gears and yes on the tires but the opposite for you. Unfortunately in most cases we really don't find out what they truly will cover until a claim is filed.
    I had to call 4 times in the same day before something finally showed up in my email.

Knows a Thing or Two tdougherty81's Avatar
    This thread got me questioning my own insurance. I've been with USAA for 12 years and my rate has gone up past couple years and I wasn't covered for my mods. I priced out Geico and was able to reduce my premium, add additional coverage for my mods to both Jeeps, lower my deductible and still came in $100 less a month. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.
    2013 JKU Rubicon Commando Green
    Hound
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...-Green-Rubicon

2016 BU Renegade Trailhawk Anvil
    Mamahawk
    Build Thread -

Sold-2008 JKU Red Rock Crystal Pearl
    RedRock
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...dRockJKU-Build

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Ok, here is what I got in writing from Geico.

This is just on our general policy paperwork, stating you must declare the custom items:
    Attachment 244323

And this is what I got the other day as proof that my items are itemized:
    Attachment 244322

No idea what "Mag wheels" are but that's how they coded it. It's just my wheels that are in the mail right now.
    Thank you so much for this update and info. I will get with Geico for a quote and have them go through my mod list. I really appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by tdougherty81 View Post
    This thread got me questioning my own insurance. I've been with USAA for 12 years and my rate has gone up past couple years and I wasn't covered for my mods. I priced out Geico and was able to reduce my premium, add additional coverage for my mods to both Jeeps, lower my deductible and still came in $100 less a month. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.
    Glad I was able to (semi) help Tom I guess I'm your gekko today...

Caught the Bug
    I just looked at my Chubb insurance policy details:
    Agreed value is $64,000 and annual premium is $1,295.00 with Chubb.
    $1,000 deduct on comp and collision. comp coverage is $1,000,000
    Zero deductible on glass.
    This is on a 2015 AEV JKUR that stickered at $64,000.
    We have some other insurance through them, so likely less than a separate policy would be.

Agreed value required window sticker and sales documentation along with photos, likely easier because aev issues a VIN number and Window sticker in addition to the jeep one?

Both myself and my wife don't have moving violations or at fault claims on our records for 15 years plus.

Been Around the Block
    Some of you with issues locking in an answer may have better luck asking your provider about a separate rider for stuff not covered with your normal policy, rather than simply trying to get a policy for $XXXXX in value.

most companies will cover a set limit for things like custom wheels or a nice stereo, but once you get into the $$ some have in their Jeep, a rider for the parts separate from a depreciating vehicle is sometimes a better option, and may also be cheaper than a stated value/agreed value policy.

It also gets away from the "will my policy cover $15k above book value" questions that will invariably not get the answer you want unless you get a good agent who understands the underwriting and wants to do some follow up work, and you might get a "yeah, we cover customization" without the person realizing that their idea of custom is $1500 in wheels, and a $3000 stereo where receipts will cover the parts (not install labor), vs what you actually have.

As to the OP - some companies, frankly, do not want to play in the world of stated value/large modification insurance. They make money on essentially economy of scale and common and easily found book value stuff. State Farm may be in that situation.

While the Jeep world has a lot of higher value customization, you might check with some other car groups - an example that comes to mind off the top of my head is Posrche 911 owners. They have experienced a phenomenon recently with GT3, GT3 RS, and some other models being "worth" 50-100k over book value, so they may have some answers on the insurance front.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 03-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.