Lost to History Forever - Before & After Photos

Jersey_Devil

This is such a shame.... When watching the Vengeance video I said to my gf "look at all these cool abandoned places, there untouched! If they were in jersey they would've been destroyed" but I guess ur getting that problem there too.... It stinks when ppl destroy the places that are so interesting, for no reason whatsoever except drunken fun..... It's bs!

Skid_Kid

That's Wild DEVIL DOG!! I have an old 5x7 printed picture with me in the exact pose on that same gun implacement taken in '97. Now I'm going to have to go rumaging through my garage to see if I can find it.

Oorah! and thanks for the cool memories!

Semper Fidelis!

jelliott076

I'm trying to plan doing a tour of the ghost towns out in Inyo some time around the 22nd or 23rd of March. I hope there something left to see! This is horrible that people's destructive nature has gotten this out of control. Not to mention the "Reinvestment Act" appears to be preventing the full use of any of these sites.

If anyone has any ideas for cool places to hit in Inyo or Riverside Counties let me know.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Was just watching The Florence, AZ Fun Run video from last May and decided to check out the Martinez Mine and Box Canyon. They're reported to be passable challenges for stock JK's. While doing research on how to get to the traihead I discovered the BLM bought the property from its long time owners and closed the trail about 1/2 mi. from the mine. That could be good or bad. It could keep vandals out (not likely), but it could keep out folks who wish to see an important part of Arizona history. Lost to history? Gonna wheel the trail and find out.:idontknow:

Skid_Kid

I'm trying to plan doing a tour of the ghost towns out in Inyo some time around the 22nd or 23rd of March. I hope there something left to see! This is horrible that people's destructive nature has gotten this out of control. Not to mention the "Reinvestment Act" appears to be preventing the full use of any of these sites.

If anyone has any ideas for cool places to hit in Inyo or Riverside Counties let me know.

So what your trying to say is that your putting a wheeling trip together..... HAHAHA.

Conman

We have a trip put together next month for Death Valley. One of our favorite stops was barker ranch. Now with nothing much left to see we will forgo that stop and visit lesser known locations through out the valley. It's no surprise that this stuff is happening all around us. As society declines and selfishness and lack of respect replaces morals its up to me as a father to teach my children to respect people and places around them.

Ok my rant is over.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
We have a trip put together next month for Death Valley. One of our favorite stops was barker ranch. Now with nothing much left to see we will forgo that stop and visit lesser known locations through out the valley. It's no surprise that this stuff is happening all around us. As society declines and selfishness and lack of respect replaces morals its up to me as a father to teach my children to respect people and places around them.

Ok my rant is over.

I'll second that! It really is a shame that some people grow up without learning respect and morals.

jelliott076

Ok my rant is over.

Brother, I couldn't have said it any better!! Thanks

LBrito

I fear it might only get worse.

I took a good friend of mine, who I consider a respectable person, on a trip with us through the Mojave Road. We made our way over to the remnants of Fort Piute, and stopped there to admire the site. Part of my buddies admiration included a few kicks to the rock walls and tossing of a few stones off the structure. I was baffled, and a lecture ensued. To him it was just old junk in the desert, and he just didn't get what the big deal was. Took a bit of explaining on my end, and really trying to drill in the historical significance of the site and the privilege it even is to be able to drive right up to it and see it. It really got me thinking about why we saw things so differently, both being college educated professionals and all.

The only thing I can think of is that society imprints in us the need to be out with the old and in with the new. A new cell phone every year, a new car every year in some cases, in general, new trumps old and old is just junk that should be trashed.

I spend the rest of the trip really trying to drive the point home, how everything tells a story, how awesome it is that it is preserved, and how important it is to keep it that way for many generations to enjoy.

I think its up to us all to share that message, since society isn't drilling in these important basics to some folks. I don't assume people appreciate things for what they are anymore.

Jersey_Devil

Here's one near me.... History lost over time... It's a shame.

1185163805_10200431475247843.jpg

Newkirk Viaduct Monument designed by Thomas Ustick Walter, the architech for the Capitol Building 1851-1865

There it is currently along the Amtrak line at Gray's Ferry Bridge in Philadelphia

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

There it is currently along the Amtrak line at Gray's Ferry Bridge in Philadelphia

Even the government destroying history. Funny I dont hear about any of that on the news, but offroaders do it and land rights are yanked. :thinking: (neither should be acceptable)

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

2012jkfng702

Enjoy it while you can unfortunately. I'm from the place that loves to destroy history and replace it with new "Bigger and Better" buildings, Fabulous Las Vegas!!! As long as my lungs hold oxygen, I will teach as many people that will listen how to respect the trails and history we have out this way...

gsmoak

Even the government destroying history. Funny I dont hear about any of that on the news, but offroaders do it and land rights are yanked. :thinking: (neither should be acceptable)

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Hmmm, so the government sent out taggers to spray paint the monument? Somehow I doubt there are roving gangs of government vandals out there. Or do you mean Amtrak, which is partially funded by the government but runs on lines neither built by nor owned by the government. All of that aside your are right that in sometimes our governments - federal, state, and local - destroy parts of our history. But those actions are few compared to those of private developers or thoughtless individuals. The one thing that links the actions of private developers and government agencies is the belief that "progress" trumps heritage. We Americans love the latest and the greatest, but as many on this thread have pointed out, respect for our past is not taught so effectively. As for the thoughtless assholes who destroy for the sake of who knows what, they have no excuse . . .

LGPow2006

Lost Arch Inn
Back in 1922, a prospector by the name of Charlie Brown moved out to the Turtle Mountains and lived at what is now known as the Lost Arch in until his death in 1948. For a long time, this desolate location had several cabins standing and in good condition along with a myriad of mines that went deep into the ground and were open to explore. This is a shot of what the two main cabins used to look like back in 2005...
main.php

This is what the cabins look like today - as you can see, one has collapsed...
main.php

This was one of the main mine shafts just behind the cabins that you could explore...
main.php

main.php

Thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, this is what has become of it today...
436.Par.27726.Image.427.640.1.gif

I know that restricting access into the actual mine shafts sucks, they a great places to want to explore etc. At least here in AZ one of the reasons they are blocking them off is because it can be ery hazardous to explore them. Cases of unstable TNT have been located near me. Atmospheres with O2 levels unable to support human life etc. Other gases (methane) The one I tried to explore had a ladder that was more rotted out than solid.

The grates are designed to continue to allow wildlife (bats) access in and out of the "cave".

I would recommend exercising extreme caution before entering into any abandon mine shafts... the thrill of discovery can be shortened very quickly if things go south.

Back to the topic... seems like no one remembers any more... it is all about what is new and better over what was once a simpler more peaceful life. Bravo Zulu to those that have taken the time to help restore or clean up these great sites

ksk

......and its only gonna get worse Eddie. Next generation have no respect for diddly squat....Parents are shit imo..

KSK

Last edited:

CandAMudders

That was actually from 2013, but someone did recently do the same thing to another rock formation, claiming the week prior a friend broke their leg on it and that it was a safety hazard..

yeah, like that makes sense. Fall down the Grand Canyon, better fill it in...safety hazard...wouldn't surprise me.

Top Bottom