Do I need to?

Kalums

So I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially with all the accessories I've installed on my Jeep, do I need to upgrade my ground wires? I remember back in the day anytime I upgraded a stereo or added accessories to other vehicles I would always upgrade the ground wires (engine to body/frame and battery/starter to frame and alternator ground) ide usually upgrade it at least 2 sizes. The theory is that it makes the passage of electricity more efficient. it would also help with the "fade" you get when adding high wattage amps and subs. (this can also be corrected by a capacitor but that always seemed like a bandaid fix to me) So would it benefit me in anyway or would it be a waste of time?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
"The Big 3" upgrade is commonly refereed to in the car audio world. It's something that is super easy to do, and they usually sell kits online that have the wires and proper connections already soldered on. Of course, you could just make your own too :) I've always done the "Big 3" upgrade, because my truck has a nice stereo system in it, and the Jeep has quite a few electrical accessories as well.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I just bought the heavy wires and did it myself. With aftermarket stereo blasting, headlights on and ac/heater - my lights would dim with bass. After big three they stay solid. In my opinion it's an inexpensive but worthwhile upgrade.

Kalums

So in my case the problem I'm having is, I turn on the jeep, headlights, stereo, daylighters and rock lights... Everything is fine... (no upgraded stereo here, still 100% stock) but when I go into reverse with all that on and the reverse aux flood lights go on, the dash dims noticeably... So I'm wondering if this upgrade will fix that issue.

WJCO

Meme King
If you have pillar style lights for backup, those don't draw much amperage at all. So my guess is you have high resistance in the circuit somewhere, which may indeed be in the main cables, however very strange that the reverse circuit would trigger that symptom. I would do a draw test with an ammeter to see what's causing it. It's a pretty simple test.

WJCO

Meme King
Where would I test from/at I've got a cheap ammeter but I know where I can borrow a good fluke if need be.

Make sure the meter is set on amp setting. Disconnect one of your battery terminals and install the ammeter inline (one probe on the battery terminal and one on the cable you just removed). Then check the reading. It should be near 0 with everything off. This is just a parasitic draw test.

Next step, turn on the light circuit that's giving you problems and take your reading. Then turn it off and turn on another light circuit that works normally and take that reading. Compare the 2. If indeed the backup leads are pulling considerable more amperage, start looking for the problem, especially check grounds and connections you've made when wiring the lights. Not only can you visually check, but if you're able, with the reverse light circuit on, wiggle wires and see if your meter reading drops significantly. That's where I would start.

Here's a thread showing the parasitic draw test: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34108-Electrical-draw-batteries-keep-dying
Although it doesn't appear you have a parasitic draw with the Jeep off, it still sounds like your reverse circuit is drawing too many amps.

Kalums

Make sure the meter is set on amp setting. Disconnect one of your battery terminals and install the ammeter inline (one probe on the battery terminal and one on the cable you just removed). Then check the reading. It should be near 0 with everything off. This is just a parasitic draw test.

Next step, turn on the light circuit that's giving you problems and take your reading. Then turn it off and turn on another light circuit that works normally and take that reading. Compare the 2. If indeed the backup leads are pulling considerable more amperage, start looking for the problem, especially check grounds and connections you've made when wiring the lights. Not only can you visually check, but if you're able, with the reverse light circuit on, wiggle wires and see if your meter reading drops significantly. That's where I would start.

Here's a thread showing the parasitic draw test: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34108-Electrical-draw-batteries-keep-dying
Although it doesn't appear you have a parasitic draw with the Jeep off, it still sounds like your reverse circuit is drawing too many amps.
Thanks will do. 👍

Kalums

So no "parisites" 0 draw with ignition off. I did forget to up the fuse when I installed the bumper flush mounted flood backups changed it from a 20A to a 25A and... Surprisingly all is well. *shrugs*
Apparently I wired the lead for the rock lights into the same circuit... That's where I go the drain it was pulling 19.2 amps all together.

Top Bottom