Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jack stands and the like, tools

Hey, everyone.

I have a whole laundry list of products I'm gonna be finally installing in the coming weeks to months.

I'm currently stock. Any recommendations on jack stands or floor Jacks? Or what extra tools to consider springing for to have that will come in handy? Where to buy?

I've never worked underneath a car or jeep before so the whole idea of being under one is a bit creepy. The forum has definitely helped give me the confidence to tackle something like this though, so thanks to all in advance for that.

If you have pictures of your rig raised up that would be cool too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I asked for Jack stand recommendations. Overwhelming concensus was to buy them from Harbor Freight. I did so and they've worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1015 View Post
    Hey, everyone.

I have a whole laundry list of products I'm gonna be finally installing in the coming weeks to months.

I'm currently stock. Any recommendations on jack stands or floor Jacks? Or what extra tools to consider springing for to have that will come in handy? Where to buy?

I've never worked underneath a car or jeep before so the whole idea of being under one is a bit creepy. The forum has definitely helped give me the confidence to tackle something like this though, so thanks to all in advance for that.

If you have pictures of your rig raised up that would be cool too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    eek... sounds like you need to find a friend to help you get started... maybe one of the locals can help you out with the basics.

as far as jackstands, I have 4 6-ton stands from harbor freight. I'm not dead

Jack, I use the bottle jack i carry in the jeep mostly, its a 12-ton; also some knock off cheap POS from Walmart i think? and occasionally I use a highlift jack. again, I'm still not dead

But I do wish I had a nice floor jack from time to time...

Tools... the best advice I can give you blankly for tools is "use the right tool, for the right job. If you need it, buy it. If you have it, use it. If you don't have it, and cant buy it, don't do it"

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by DWiggles; 02-16-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Knows a Thing or Two black pearl's Avatar
    I have 2ton jack stands that I bought with a jack from napa auto for about 100 bit any time I need to do axel work they are to short as for a jack I like the bigger jacks that lift higher IMG_4605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two ScoobyCarolanNC's Avatar
    I bought a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands, and a creeper from Sears for $110 as a package. The stands aren't very tall so I use some 2x6s to boost em. Get a good torque wrench. Also $110 at sears. Your likely going to need a 1/2" & 3/4" ratchet & a 12" long 3/4" extension. Don't try to use 1/2" sockets with adapters for anything above 16mm. Get 2 specific sets for each ratchet type. Also get like 6 10mm wrenches & sockets cause gnomes steal them.

Sent from my duck blind.

And a huge tool box, Mechanics gloves, and some kind of a light so when it gets dark and you're still not done you're good to go.

Sent from my duck blind.

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    Tools... the best advice I can give you blankly for tools is "use the right tool, for the right job. If you need it, buy it. If you have it, use it. If you don't have it, and cant buy it, don't do it"
    This ^^^^ also keep in mind, it's expensive to be cheap. I've busted more cheap Chinese sockets in the last year than I care to admit.

Sent from my duck blind.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyCarolanNC View Post
    get like 6 10mm wrenches & sockets cause gnomes steal them.

some kind of a light so when it gets dark and you're still not done you're good to go
    when hour 6 rolls around on your 2 hour install

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

i use a harbor freight 2 ton heavy duty floor jack, it's got a 23" max height and makes it nice to be able raise it up and get jack stands under the frame rails when needed.

for jack stands i prefer the double locking style northern tool sells

Knows a Thing or Two black pearl's Avatar
    I bought a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands, and a creeper from Sears for $110 as a package. The stands aren't very tall so I use some 2x6s to boost em. Get a good torque wrench. Also $110 at sears. Your likely going to need a 1/2" & 3/4" ratchet & a 12" long 3/4" extension. Don't try to use 1/2" sockets with adapters for anything above 16mm. Get 2 specific sets for each ratchet type. Also get like 6 10mm wrenches & sockets cause gnomes steal them.

Sent from my duck blind.
    Mine is always 18mm they steal ... but maybe I don't notice the 10mm because I have 15 of em

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app