Jack stands and the like, tools

Chris1015

Hey, everyone.

I have a whole laundry list of products I'm gonna be finally installing in the coming weeks to months.

I'm currently stock. Any recommendations on jack stands or floor Jacks? Or what extra tools to consider springing for to have that will come in handy? Where to buy?

I've never worked underneath a car or jeep before so the whole idea of being under one is a bit creepy. The forum has definitely helped give me the confidence to tackle something like this though, so thanks to all in advance for that.

If you have pictures of your rig raised up that would be cool too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I asked for Jack stand recommendations. Overwhelming concensus was to buy them from Harbor Freight. I did so and they've worked well.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hey, everyone.

I have a whole laundry list of products I'm gonna be finally installing in the coming weeks to months.

I'm currently stock. Any recommendations on jack stands or floor Jacks? Or what extra tools to consider springing for to have that will come in handy? Where to buy?

I've never worked underneath a car or jeep before so the whole idea of being under one is a bit creepy. The forum has definitely helped give me the confidence to tackle something like this though, so thanks to all in advance for that.

If you have pictures of your rig raised up that would be cool too.

eek... sounds like you need to find a friend to help you get started... maybe one of the locals can help you out with the basics.

as far as jackstands, I have 4 6-ton stands from harbor freight. :idontknow: I'm not dead

Jack, I use the bottle jack i carry in the jeep mostly, its a 12-ton; also some knock off cheap POS from Walmart i think? and occasionally I use a highlift jack. :idontknow: again, I'm still not dead

But I do wish I had a nice floor jack from time to time...

Tools... the best advice I can give you blankly for tools is "use the right tool, for the right job. If you need it, buy it. If you have it, use it. If you don't have it, and cant buy it, don't do it" :yup:

Hope that helps?

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
I have 2ton jack stands that I bought with a jack from napa auto for about 100 bit any time I need to do axel work they are to short as for a jack I like the bigger jacks that lift higher IMG_4605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

I bought a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands, and a creeper from Sears for $110 as a package. The stands aren't very tall so I use some 2x6s to boost em. Get a good torque wrench. Also $110 at sears. Your likely going to need a 1/2" & 3/4" ratchet & a 12" long 3/4" extension. Don't try to use 1/2" sockets with adapters for anything above 16mm. Get 2 specific sets for each ratchet type. Also get like 6 10mm wrenches & sockets cause gnomes steal them.

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

And a huge tool box, Mechanics gloves, and some kind of a light so when it gets dark and you're still not done you're good to go.

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Tools... the best advice I can give you blankly for tools is "use the right tool, for the right job. If you need it, buy it. If you have it, use it. If you don't have it, and cant buy it, don't do it" :yup:

This ^^^^ also keep in mind, it's expensive to be cheap. I've busted more cheap Chinese sockets in the last year than I care to admit.

Sent from my duck blind.

jeeeep

Hooked
i use a harbor freight 2 ton heavy duty floor jack, it's got a 23" max height and makes it nice to be able raise it up and get jack stands under the frame rails when needed.

for jack stands i prefer the double locking style northern tool sells

black pearl

Hooked
I bought a 3 ton jack, 2 jack stands, and a creeper from Sears for $110 as a package. The stands aren't very tall so I use some 2x6s to boost em. Get a good torque wrench. Also $110 at sears. Your likely going to need a 1/2" & 3/4" ratchet & a 12" long 3/4" extension. Don't try to use 1/2" sockets with adapters for anything above 16mm. Get 2 specific sets for each ratchet type. Also get like 6 10mm wrenches & sockets cause gnomes steal them.

Sent from my duck blind.

Mine is always 18mm they steal ... but maybe I don't notice the 10mm because I have 15 of em [emoji23][emoji23]

Chris1015

eek... sounds like you need to find a friend to help you get started... maybe one of the locals can help you out with the basics.

as far as jackstands, I have 4 6-ton stands from harbor freight. :idontknow: I'm not dead

Jack, I use the bottle jack i carry in the jeep mostly, its a 12-ton; also some knock off cheap POS from Walmart i think? and occasionally I use a highlift jack. :idontknow: again, I'm still not dead

But I do wish I had a nice floor jack from time to time...

Hope that helps?
Absolutely man, thanks a lot

Chris1015

Sent from my duck blind.
God damn gnomes.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 12 ton set of stands that I really like because it raises the vehicle really high. And a good floor jack is a fast and useful tool to have. Mines a 3 ton.

And agreed on the 10mm knomes. Watch out for those little fuckers.

aermotor

While I've used the Harbor Freight stands for 5 or 6 years now (sometimes in shadier conditions than I would like to admit) they have never failed me, but I've been nervous on many occasions. I recently was doing a lot of work on the Jeep and wanted to feel safe while under it so I ordered up a pair of the 6 Ton US Jack jack stands D-41610. Made in the USA. Huge locking teeth/lugs, wide platforms, they are awesome, and not that expensive. I figured it wasn't worth skimping on safety anymore.

Chris1015

While I've used the Harbor Freight stands for 5 or 6 years now (sometimes in shadier conditions than I would like to admit) they have never failed me, but I've been nervous on many occasions. I recently was doing a lot of work on the Jeep and wanted to feel safe while under it so I ordered up a pair of the 6 Ton US Jack jack stands D-41610. Made in the USA. Huge locking teeth/lugs, wide platforms, they are awesome, and not that expensive. I figured it wasn't worth skimping on safety anymore.
I'll check them out. Probably a good idea.

JRUnlimited

I use harbor freight tools for my weekend Jeep projects and they've worked out well. Not necessarily what I use if I was a pro mechanic.

Heavyhaul07

Harbor freight for floor jack and stands. I've used craftsmen tools for years. Harbor freight tools for making a special tool out of one. I've broken them all Matco snap-on and so forth.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Most people don't realize but harbor freight actually has a lifetime warranty on their hand tools. I've used their sockets even on impact and not broken one. I know they sell a lot of shitty stuff but I think the hand tools are pretty fair quality. I also use their floor jack and jack stands.

Top Bottom