EVO High Clearance LA vs LA upgrade

I read back through the posts about the High clearance vs regular LA kits. I know that you can have the High Clearance ones installed with a little extra work on a non EVOLever setup.

In talking with Drew at EVO. He suggested that the ride is *slightly* worse with the High Clearance version vs. the regular.

As he put it the regular is more for a daily driver, vs. the high clearance for *true off road* - read between the lines there of course.

So, for those that might have the EVO High Clearance LA upgrade, do you have any feel for what this *more offroad* feel is like. Or put another way, how bad is the ride? Not interested in those that have the DTD unless you did the LA upgrade first and have some experience with it minus the DTD. I'm not planning to go to DTD just yet, but the TF stuff that on this 2008 JKUR has got to go, even if it is the LCG LA upgrade :)... And I"m thinking of having Drew do the High Clearance setup only along with the 60/60 dynatrac kit... (it has EVO BO CO's already btw).

Looking for some through, encouragement, discouragement, etc :)...

Thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The DD long arm kit will relocate your rear control arms in a way that will restore their geometry back to stock or at least, a lot closer to it. This is why they provide a "better" ride. The high clearance brackets mount considerably "higher" up on the frame rails and that makes them sit at an angle that is NOT similar to stock and will therefore cause your ride to be a bit off in the back. We ran the high clearance brackets with bolt on coil overs and didn't think much too much of it in terms of it being good or bad. Granted, ride quality is 100% subjective.

The DD long arm kit will relocate your rear control arms in a way that will restore their geometry back to stock or at least, a lot closer to it. This is why they provide a "better" ride. The high clearance brackets mount considerably "higher" up on the frame rails and that makes them sit at an angle that is NOT similar to stock and will therefore cause your ride to be a bit off in the back. We ran the high clearance brackets with bolt on coil overs and didn't think much too much of it in terms of it being good or bad. Granted, ride quality is 100% subjective.

Thanks Eddie (btw, see my other query in the forum support section - cuz it's just driving me crazy :)...)... So what you are saying is that while there is a change, its not a black/white thing, in that it doesn't go from Cadillac to hay wagon ride, but there is a slight change.

(meaning it's subjective. :)...)

I mean after all these things are *off road vehicles* with highly modified suspension, steering, etc... I'm not expecting it to ride like a Cadillac or Buick, etc :)...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie (btw, see my other query in the forum support section - cuz it's just driving me crazy :)...)... So what you are saying is that while there is a change, its not a black/white thing, in that it doesn't go from Cadillac to hay wagon ride, but there is a slight change.

(meaning it's subjective. :)...)

I mean after all these things are *off road vehicles* with highly modified suspension, steering, etc... I'm not expecting it to ride like a Cadillac or Buick, etc :)...

We used to run a Full Traction long arm kit and the EVO DD is almost a carbon copy of it when it comes to the rear brackets. What I can tell you is that you will feel more bucking in the rear with the high clearance brackets especially when you're unloaded and are driving across a concrete highway that is evenly segmented. Does that make sense? I don't know if I could say that I felt this sensation with the Full Traction kit. With that, what I'm saying is that it never bothered us or enough to matter. Of course, it might bother others.

We used to run a Full Traction long arm kit and the EVO DD is almost a carbon copy of it when it comes to the rear brackets. What I can tell you is that you will feel more bucking in the rear with the high clearance brackets especially when you're unloaded and are driving across a concrete highway that is evenly segmented. Does that make sense? I don't know if I could say that I felt this sensation with the Full Traction kit. With that, what I'm saying is that it never bothered us or enough to matter. Of course, it might bother others.

I know exactly what you are talking about. We have a section of raised interstate here that even in Cadillacs, you feel the Ka-thunk, Ka-thunk, Ka-thunk, etc as well as hear it...

Ok, that helps... Sounds like it wouldn't be a terrible thing to do. Drew said the price to do the HC LA's was very small vs. the regular ones... Besides, it means one less thing to do when/if we go DTD :)...

Appreciate all the comments.

AdrockTT

I was just in a similar scenario/decision point and talked a lot to Evo and NR about it. I am surprised to hear that they (and Eddie) quantified the ride quality as having a meaningful difference...as when I spoke to both companies (esp Evo) they basically said it was a moot point. Hopefully I chose right as I went with the high clearance setup myself and I'll need to do 1-3 hours highway driving a minimum to wheel it right...def ride quality is important. I am pleased to hear Eddie chime in that it never bothered him (hopefully it won't bother me/the family as well).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just in a similar scenario/decision point and talked a lot to Evo and NR about it. I am surprised to hear that they (and Eddie) quantified the ride quality as having a meaningful difference...as when I spoke to both companies (esp Evo) they basically said it was a moot point. Hopefully I chose right as I went with the high clearance setup myself and I'll need to do 1-3 hours highway driving a minimum to wheel it right...def ride quality is important. I am pleased to hear Eddie chime in that it never bothered him (hopefully it won't bother me/the family as well).

To be clear, I never said there was a "meaningful" difference in the ride. I just noted the difference in the suspension geometry that you will see with the high clearance brackets and pointed out what I had observed with them vs. a long arm kit with proper drop brackets. To ME, there wasn't enough of a difference to matter but as I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

I agree with your guys decision based on what Eddie said, because I know in the rocks the high clearance is going to be a lot nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AdrockTT

To be clear, I never said there was a "meaningful" difference in the ride. I just noted the difference in the suspension geometry that you will see with the high clearance brackets and pointed out what I had observed with them vs. a long arm kit with proper drop brackets. To ME, there wasn't enough of a difference to matter but as I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective.

Great, glad to hear it's a minor difference at best. Can't wait to get it all installed and be more qualified for an opinion on this! :thumb:

ak49

I've had the regular double D long arms and the high clearance. It's not entirely a black and white difference because I also went from coilovers to DTD at the same time. To me the ride is a little more stiff now, but in my opinion the difference is negligible. But as previously said.....ride is subjective.

Top Bottom