How to drill large holes

GraniteCrystal

I consistently suck at this. Near the end of pushing thru the metal, the drill bit will catch. Either rips the drill out of my hand, breaks the bit, or both. What am I doing wrong? Need to work up to the larger diameter holes even more gradually?

IMG_20170218_123301.jpg

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
I consistently suck at this. Near the end of pushing thru the metal, the drill bit will catch. Either rips the drill out of my hand, breaks the bit, or both. What am I doing wrong? Need to work up to the larger diameter holes even more gradually?

View attachment 244701

Lubrication is your friend. you can also try a step-drill/unibit as well as high quality drill bits that are made for whichever specific medium you are drilling through.

JKbrick

View attachment 244701

I saw in your thread you were done but step bits work really well for larger holes or even making existing holes larger

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
When drilling for my nutsert installation, I started slow and steady until nearly all the way through and just until the thin body metal was just about to catch and tear on the bit. I then reversed the drill and switched to high speed. A full reverse fast spin with moderate pressure would pop through and leave a perfect hole every time.

Top Bottom