REAR END REVAMP : Inspecting & Rebuilding a DTD EVO Lever System

ljlackey

Definitely looks new going back in. Maybe one day... On a different note is there any video of the guy with 6-paks going through the desert and the damage? It would be interesting to see.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone! It was a bit of a pain to document things but I hope that this write-up will be helpful to someone out there.

Mahalo...also, what length sway bar end links are you using?...I am assuming that they are EVO HD end links...

We are running a factory sway bar in the rear and have 9" links attached to them.

Nice write up! I definitely need to do maintenance on mine... My coilovers are on the inside which caused a bad rub on one of the bypass hoses. Is there any inherent benefit for the coilovers being on the outside verses inside?

Honestly, I don't think there should be a difference. We've always had our coil overs on the outside and on both our JK's.

Definitely looks new going back in. Maybe one day... On a different note is there any video of the guy with 6-paks going through the desert and the damage? It would be interesting to see.

Nothing published. In the interest of not trying to make anyone who attend the JKX look bad, we left the footage of him trying to take on the whoops, breaking, quietly picking up his spare off the sand and disappearing into town to have it welded back up before anyone noticed. Oh, except for Cindy and I who saw the whole thing :crazyeyes:

You just can't take 2 standard shocks, strap them together in a fancy housing and believe that they could somehow perform anywhere as close to what a coil over with a remote reservoir can. Of course, we're running 2.5 triple bypass shocks on top of that. But, fanboys will be fanboys and they will choose to believe whatever it is they want to believe. :crazyeyes:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
In the interest of not trying to make anyone who attend the JKX look bad, we left the footage of him trying to take on the whoops, breaking, quietly picking up his spare off the sand and disappearing into town to have it welded back up before anyone noticed. Oh, except for Cindy and I who saw the whole thing :crazyeyes:

You just can't take 2 standard shocks, strap them together in a fancy housing and believe that they could somehow perform anywhere as close to what a coil over with a remote reservoir can. Of course, we're running 2.5 triple bypass shocks on top of that. But, fanboys will be fanboys and they will choose to believe whatever it is they want to believe. :crazyeyes:

[emoji38][emoji38] That had to be funny to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Flat Top

Finished at last. Here's a few shots of Moby's revamped rear end.
20170217093539-295867fa.jpg

Morning wood.... :D:D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, what rear break line extensions are you using?

Honestly, I want to say Crown or Goodyear as that's what I had been running prior to the EVO Lever being installed but as I recall, I think they were replaced with whatever EVO uses with the kit. Sorry, it's been so long ago since we installed all this.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Honestly, I want to say Crown or Goodyear as that's what I had been running prior to the EVO Lever being installed but as I recall, I think they were replaced with whatever EVO uses with the kit. Sorry, it's been so long ago since we installed all this.

EVO MFG was using Crown lines. Not sure if they changed out.

ralfman5

Nice write up. Would have been useful when I installed my Evo Lever. How much lift do you have in the rear? I have my coil over at 1" inch on the collar, i dont have a spare.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice write up. Would have been useful when I installed my Evo Lever. How much lift do you have in the rear? I have my coil over at 1" inch on the collar, i dont have a spare.

The real question you should be asking is what spring rate are we running as that would make a difference as to how much pre-load you set. Also, these are really old springs and ones that we've abused. I've noticed over the years that I've had to add a bit more pre-load to get me back to where I was and that's about 3.5" or so of lift. I'm already thinking I may need to replace them with a newer set or maybe ones with a heavier rate.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
REAR END REVAMP : Inspecting & Rebuilding a DTD EVO Lever System

The real question you should be asking is what spring rate are we running as that would make a difference as to how much pre-load you set. Also, these are really old springs and ones that we've abused. I've noticed over the years that I've had to add a bit more pre-load to get me back to where I was and that's about 3.5" or so of lift. I'm already thinking I may need to replace them with a newer set or maybe ones with a heavier rate.

That's good info right there. I'm going to measure mine to see how much lift I have, to keep an eye on it. I'm at about 1 1/2 inches of threads showing now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom