REAR END REVAMP : Inspecting & Rebuilding a DTD EVO Lever System

Terry4130

The real question you should be asking is what spring rate are we running as that would make a difference as to how much pre-load you set. Also, these are really old springs and ones that we've abused. I've noticed over the years that I've had to add a bit more pre-load to get me back to where I was and that's about 3.5" or so of lift. I'm already thinking I may need to replace them with a newer set or maybe ones with a heavier rate.

Ever worry about the coils binding after re-adjusting?

Terry4130

Not sure why they would bind. No, I can't say that it's ever been a concern of mine.

When adjusting it down to regain the lift height, the overall space available for the coil is shrunk. If this goes beyond what the compressed length of the coil is, then it will bind. I only ask as I used 8" coilovers on a Tacoma in the past and always checked that when adjusting them as the sagged. Some vendors and King recommended it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When adjusting it down to regain the lift height, the overall space available for the coil is shrunk. If this goes beyond what the compressed length of the coil is, then it will bind. I only ask as I used 8" coilovers on a Tacoma in the past and always checked that when adjusting them as the sagged. Some vendors and King recommended it.

Sorry, maybe it's the term "bind" that you're using has me confused. I don't understand how a coil can "bind" but if you're referring to it going "solid" as in, the winds of the coil touch each other, the answer would be no, I am not concerned as there is no need for me to add that much pre-load. Fully flex, I still have plenty of space between the winds of my coils and my ride is still awesome :)

main.php

Terry4130

Sorry, maybe it's the term "bind" that you're using has me confused. I don't understand how a coil can "bind" but if you're referring to it going "solid" as in, the winds of the coil touch each other, the answer would be no, I am not concerned as there is no need for me to add that much pre-load. Fully flex, I still have plenty of space between the winds of my coils and my ride is still awesome :)

main.php

Cool. The term "coil bind" is used often in the desert community. That's awesome to see you have that adjustability at full bump. Thanks for the write up, it showed some great workings of the evo kit and that you've ran it so long is a great show of course their craftsmanship.

BlackDiamond_JKU

main.php

Coil bind is a term used to describe when a coil spring is fully compressed.
Used a lot in NASCAR, flat track, and Baja Racing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. The term "coil bind" is used often in the desert community. That's awesome to see you have that adjustability at full bump. Thanks for the write up, it showed some great workings of the evo kit and that you've ran it so long is a great show of course their craftsmanship.

Sorry, I'm just a guy who plays with Jeeps and not real familiar with the "desert community". The EVO kit has served me well for a long time and I anticipate it will continue to serve me well for some time to come. :cool:

Coil bind is a term used to describe when a coil spring is fully compressed.
Used a lot in NASCAR, flat track, and Baja Racing.

LOL!! Um, yeah, I kinda deduced it might mean the same thing as what I like to call, "going solid". But hey, I'm just a joe blo who likes to play with Jeeps and not real big into NASCAR, flat track or Baja Racing. I apologize for being out of the loop when it comes to the cool lingo. :blush:

BlackDiamond_JKU

Sorry, I'm just a guy who plays with Jeeps and not real familiar with the "desert community". The EVO kit has served me well for a long time and I anticipate it will continue to serve me well for some time to come. :cool:

LOL!! Um, yeah, I kinda deduced it might mean the same thing as what I like to call, "going solid". But hey, I'm just a joe blo who likes to play with Jeeps and not real big into NASCAR, flat track or Baja Racing. I apologize for being out of the loop when it comes to the cool lingo. :blush:

Fixed it for you. ;)

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Astroman

Definitely does help Eddie -- thank you for the bump! I must say the clarity and detail you put into your tech write-ups is second-to-none! Really appreciate all you do to increase the knowledge base of this forum :thumb:

Hey Astroman, I'm giving this thread a bump for you. Hopefully it'll help you out. :yup:

Gobicon2017

Camera angle. We're actually running about 180 psi and no, we've not seen this to be a problem. We drive hard and fast across the desert and the extra pressure seems to soak up the hits a bit better. If you've ever seen the end of our PNW JKX video where we're bombing across the whoops at 65+ MPH, it was smooth as anything. A guy running 6 pak shocks tried to do the same thing and got his ass handed to him so bad that his spare tire broke off the tire carrier.

Great write up... what kind of charging manifold do you recommend, as I am unable to find someone to check my shocks locally. Thank you. Maybe a pic of your set up[emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great write up... what kind of charging manifold do you recommend, as I am unable to find someone to check my shocks locally. Thank you. Maybe a pic of your set up[emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can buy one from King but they're really in love with their parts and price them accordingly. I ended up making my own. I'll try to post up a pic of my setup later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's what my setup looks like including the crazy expensive King clamps and nitrogen bottle.

charging-01.jpg

Here's a closer shot of my homemade charging/pressure check manifold.

charging-02.jpg

bhaner

Very good write up! 100K+ miles of abuse and this system seems to have held up well!

I am seriously considering the DTD system for my 2016 JKUR.

It looks like it can handle any and all the abuse I could ever think of tossing its way!

My only question is about on highway use. How does this kit feel? I think I have seen videos of this Jeep on the highway quite a bit. I figure you would be the one to ask!

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very good write up! 100K+ miles of abuse and this system seems to have held up well!

I am seriously considering the DTD system for my 2016 JKUR.

It looks like it can handle any and all the abuse I could ever think of tossing its way!

My only question is about on highway use. How does this kit feel? I think I have seen videos of this Jeep on the highway quite a bit. I figure you would be the one to ask!

Thanks!

Honestly, better than any other suspension system I've personally ran on my JK's and I've run quite a few.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
What Eddie said and living in the east where the road are crap with pot holes and chatter bumps, it handles unbelievable on the windy roads. It makes me want to constantly push the pace.

Top Bottom