TJ Inner Axle Seal Leak??

pip

Hey guys, new here. Just noticed that I have some oil leaking around the axle knuckle / lower ball joint. I know that the picture may be hard to see, but I think that it is the Inner Axle Seal. Can post more pictures later tonight.

I know that I would be able to replace it myself. Just want to get a second opinion if you guys think this is in fact the INNER AXLE SEAL.

Thanks!! rsz_120170220_100210.jpg

Last edited:
That is definitely the inner axle seal. Just did mine twice in two weeks. It's not too bad if you feel comfortable pulling your carrier from the differential. I'll post a picture of the tool I used to press in the seals. Also, just replace both at the same time or you may be doing double the work as I found out....might as well do whatever else you gotta do in there too. Are you doing it on the 04? That will be way easier than a 13+. They changed the seal to a two part for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

pip

That is definitely the inner axle seal. Just did mine twice in two weeks. It's not too bad if you feel comfortable pulling your carrier from the differential. I'll post a picture of the tool I used to press in the seals. Also, just replace both at the same time or you may be doing double the work as I found out....might as well do whatever else you gotta do in there too. Are you doing it on the 04? That will be way easier than a 13+. They changed the seal to a two part for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app
Ya, I'm doing it on my 04 Rubicon. I hit everything real good with brake cleaner, and ran it through an undercarriage wash earlier. Going to check back and see if there's any oil later today. Looking forward to see what you used. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

pip

Yup, looks like an inner axle seal that's bad.
Okay, so I'm not thoroughly convinced that it is the axle seal. If it is, it's not leaking very bad. I hit everything with brake cleaner, ran out through an undercarriage wash, drove it a while, and now there's no residue anywhere. The oil level is good as well. Anything else that it may be? Brake fluid from somewhere?

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, so I'm not thoroughly convinced that it is the axle seal. If it is, it's not leaking very bad. I hit everything with brake cleaner, ran out through an undercarriage wash, drove it a while, and now there's no residue anywhere. The oil level is good as well. Anything else that it may be? Brake fluid from somewhere?

Based on your picture, it is definitely an axle seal leak, maybe just slow seepage over time. Keep an eye on it and I bet residue comes back. As far as testing for brake fluid leaks, just push on the pedal and hold it there several times. Then go look at the caliper bolt, bleeder screw, and hose for that wheel for leaks. However, ANY brake fluid leak and you would feel the symptom in the pedal immediately and fluid leak would be much more obvious and freshly coating everything around it.

Top Bottom