2014 JKU ESP / Traction Control "Kill Switch" question

Frydaddy

Just did it this weekend, So far So good! Leave the switch ON during the week, then flip it OFF to disable all the automatic safety crap for the trails! When you flip it back on, you have to restart the engine to reconnect the module, again, these features ARE VERY USEFUL on the highway, so don't leave it off!

I spliced into the purple wire with the light blue stripe. Though, I suspect both purple lines are communication wires (LT blue is Transmit, DK blue is receive?)
Front console snaps out, Pull the ebrake, pull the transfer case handle, pull down the tranny handle sleeve, then pull the tranny handle.
Lower console has four bolts down low, two rear, two front.

If you use my switch location, Measure down 1" from the top. My switch location ran in to the lid latch. And be sure to use a male and female connector on the purple wires, that way, if you want to remove your switch, just plug the two ends together.

IMG_20170226_113030874.jpg IMG_20170226_115321854.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Just did it this weekend, So far So good! Leave the switch ON during the week, then flip it OFF to disable all the automatic safety crap for the trails! When you flip it back on, you have to restart the engine to reconnect the module, again, these features ARE VERY USEFUL on the highway, so don't leave it off!

I spliced into the purple wire with the light blue stripe. Though, I suspect both purple lines are communication wires (LT blue is Transmit, DK blue is receive?)
Front console snaps out, Pull the ebrake, pull the transfer case handle, pull down the tranny handle sleeve, then pull the tranny handle.

If you use my switch location, Measure down 1" from the top. My switch location ran in to the lid latch. And be sure to use a male and female connector on the purple wires, that way, if you want to remove your switch, just plug the two ends together.

View attachment 246022 View attachment 246023

Looks good,
Am doing mine this weekend. I am still trying figure out the location for the switch since my wife drives my jeep a lot, I don't want her to accidentally hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DanDub

I installed a kill switch some weeks earlier and love it. Not sure how useful it is for other situations as in the desert I am used to drive here though.

Before I decided to install the kill switch I had a drives and disabled all the electronic stuff by removing the "J6" fuse. With that the same features are disabled as with the kill switch but didn't need to install a switch before I was sure I would like it.

Believe if you want yo kill ABS and friends only very rarely that's actually good enough. I am going almost weekly off-roading so it's much more convenient to have the switch.

Kill switch was installed in a matter of minutes (less than a hour) as already described earlier by cutting the purple-light blue wire below the center console.

Kalums

View attachment 246022 View attachment 246023
I was planning on doing this this week, is there enough current to run a lighted switch or do I need to tap into a different circuit for light? Or would it be better to not worry about it? I was planning on running the switch to my daystar switch panel at the bottom of my center dash console.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

I was planning on doing this this week, is there enough current to run a lighted switch or do I need to tap into a different circuit for light? Or would it be better to not worry about it? I was planning on running the switch to my daystar switch panel at the bottom of my center dash console.

Like I said, I believe it could be a communications line, so you do not want to put any load on it at all.

Besides, you might want an indicator when it is OFF, since that is the abnormal situation. Do those daystar switches accommodate externally powered lights?

I would suggest putting it in a place where it cannot be accidentally bumped. (my location may not be ideal for that), maybe a captive cover?

Kalums

Like I said, I believe it could be a communications line, so you do not want to put any load on it at all.

Besides, you might want an indicator when it is OFF, since that is the abnormal situation. Do those daystar switches accommodate externally powered lights?

I would suggest putting it in a place where it cannot be accidentally bumped. (my location may not be ideal for that), maybe a captive cover?
Yeah off is when I want it lit, being a communication wire is why I figured ide have to pull power from somewhere else to light the diode. I was thinking about the weapons system switch that has the cover built in(flip cover than flip switch) but I don't know if those are lit or not

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Or get one of these

IMG_3938.JPG

I agree, no one should be messing with trying to add any power to that switch to make it illuminate. It's just asking for trouble.....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

Last edited:

Kalums

Nm I just a a duh moment if I connect the one I was looking at you guys are saying it might change/interfere with the signal being sent /Recieved,as it would change from the load of the led.... Wow I wasn't even thinking. I guess it will be a regular toggle with the protective cover

Slimebones

Do I understand it right that when using this switch to interupt the circuit, that the ABS, ESP, AND TRACTION CONTROL lights will all illuminate on the dash while driving in that condition?

Kalums

Do I understand it right that when using this switch to interupt the circuit, that the ABS, ESP, AND TRACTION CONTROL lights will all illuminate on the dash while driving in that condition?
That is my understanding we will see when I get mine in, but I believe Frydaddy has his in already

Frydaddy

That is my understanding we will see when I get mine in, but I believe Frydaddy has his in already

Yep, When you hit the trail and turn it OFF, you hear one *ding* and four lights illuminate, it turns off all the automatic safety driving features.
When you get to the end of the trail and turn it ON, The lights stay illuminated, and the features are still disabled, you must restart the vehicle.
When you restart AFTER, turning the switch ON, everything goes back to normal.

BONUS: I reprogrammed my tire size (superchips) without restarting my vehicle, the speedometer stayed at zero and my odometer never changed. Oh god, I found a loophole.

Slimebones

Yep, When you hit the trail and turn it OFF, you hear one *ding* and four lights illuminate, it turns off all the automatic safety driving features.
When you get to the end of the trail and turn it ON, The lights stay illuminated, and the features are still disabled, you must restart the vehicle.
When you restart AFTER, turning the switch ON, everything goes back to normal.

BONUS: I reprogrammed my tire size (superchips) without restarting my vehicle, the speedometer stayed at zero and my odometer never changed. Oh god, I found a loophole.

Thanks for the quick response. Going to do this immediately. I live in Colorado and tired of the ESP/TRACTION CONTROL kicking in even on moderate curves here in the mountains. Jerking around the way it does is alarming at times. Will be nice to disable this when necessary. I realize those are SAFETY features, but at times it feels like the Jeep will be thrown out of the intended lane. My ride is an '07, don't know if others experience this or not, but I am all in on this mod.

Frydaddy

Thanks for the quick response. Going to do this immediately. I live in Colorado and tired of the ESP/TRACTION CONTROL kicking in even on moderate curves here in the mountains. Jerking around the way it does is alarming at times. Will be nice to disable this when necessary. I realize those are SAFETY features, but at times it feels like the Jeep will be thrown out of the intended lane. My ride is an '07, don't know if others experience this or not, but I am all in on this mod.

I strongly discourage using this at highway speeds. There might be something else thats causing your traction control to kick in. Is the steering wheel centered when going down a straight road? If its an icy situation, i would recommend just hitting the ESP button to lessen its effect.

Top Bottom