Rear Upper Shock Relocation + King 2.5s

Ddays

Hooked
Running the air bags, even just in the coils with little to no air pressure makes a massive difference. I had my air line get snagged on something and broke but the bags are so rigid they still helped a lot for when loaded down.

I don't know if coilovers are a full fix either. Going to definitely need to stiffer springs and lots of preload. With the air bags you can dial it in a bit and keep the rear nice and firm.

What brand airbags are you going to run? Thinking this may be a help when pulling a travel trailer we've been looking into....

aermotor

Oh, trust me, I've done air bags and I currently run coil overs - they ARE a great fix. Sure, you'll want to run a heavier spring rate but with that, there is no need to add "lots of preload". Of course, on something like bolt on coil overs, you're running 2 different springs so you can arrange them in a way that will give you a good ride and still be able to take on big hits. The biggest downside to coil overs is their price.

Yes very good points. Price aside, coilovers are clearly the best choice. I've run the airbags before and really like what they give, especially for $100.

aermotor

You just have to make sure you get the right kit depending what springs you are running. From Drew at EVO this is the correct part number for the 4" Plush Coils that I used on my previous JK, have ordered them again for my new one.

AIR LIFT 80590 1000 Series

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Air bags...
main.php

Holy crap, I never knew Moby had air bags! Must have been a short while running them. Did you suffer a from a puncture?
Or just wasnt what you were wanting when wheeling/driving?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap, I never knew Moby had air bags! Must have been a short while running them. Did you suffer a from a puncture?
Or just wasnt what you were wanting when wheeling/driving?

LOL!! At times, it's even hard for me to believe that Moby is over 10 years old. Over those 10 years, we have run him in a myriad of configurations from stock to multiple 3", 4", short arm and long arm lifts and all before we got him up on coil overs and then upgraded from that to DTD's. We ran air bags back in the day because we always carry a ton of gear and were really heavy in the rear end. This caused substantial sagging and I used the air bags to help make up the difference. At the time, it was the only thing I could try as there wasn't much in the way of aftermarket products for the JK.

I have always wondered, do these limit flex at all?

Yes, they do a bit but not as much as much as you'd think. When off roading, you'd run them at a very low psi and they will squash down quite a bit. The bigger problem is that your ride quality will be compromised - like running really stiff springs. They're cheap and they work but I personally wouldn't recommend them.

aermotor

Eddie pretty much has it. Lower the PSI to almost nothing when off-roading and they won't limit it too much. They do increase the stiffness in rebound in the rear no doubt, but when carrying 1000lbs, I'll take the trade off. it may not be the perfect solution, but for running coils and if you carry a lot of weight frequently, they are a cheap and effective solution vs $2K for coilovers in the rear.

Ddays

Hooked
I asked Air Lift's tech support how to determine what bags to use on a lifted vehicle and they sent this back:

"They would not fit with longer springs. We can get a fit by measuring the inside diameter and inside available height of the spring. Take these measurements with the vehicle on the ground at ride height. With these measurements we can fit you with a kit."

spring.png

Pretty easy. I plan on getting a set of these but only running as needed (trips loaded with a trailer)

JAGS

Hooked
Why not just run a 3/4 spacer for the coils? Several folks have done this to help give the shocks a bit more room to breath before bottoming out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I asked Air Lift's tech support how to determine what bags to use on a lifted vehicle and they sent this back:

"They would not fit with longer springs. We can get a fit by measuring the inside diameter and inside available height of the spring. Take these measurements with the vehicle on the ground at ride height. With these measurements we can fit you with a kit."

Pretty easy. I plan on getting a set of these but only running as needed (trips loaded with a trailer)

Back in the day, this was the only way to determine what air bag to use. That being said, I still would NOT recommend running them as it WILL compromise the quality of your ride.

Why not just run a 3/4 spacer for the coils? Several folks have done this to help give the shocks a bit more room to breath before bottoming out.

^^^ This is what I would recommend. Sure, you would sit ass high when unloaded or without your trailer hooked up but it would not compromise your ride quality.

aermotor

I'm going to add in coil spacers first to see if that will give me enough lift, but I have to run more than 3/4" as I will still bump all the time. If that doesn't do it, I'll go back to the air bags.

The only instance I saw the bags compromise my ride before was when driving fast and hitting large dips. The normal, DD on road driving didn't change at all for me.

aermotor

An update on this, I did take a look at the how the King 2.5s would work with the brackets, and while they can be made to work, with some significant modifications, I decided against it. Ended up adding a 1.75 spacer in the rear and .75 in the front for now. I also didn't want to permanently cut away the stock brackets in case I ever decide to go coilovers.

There are also going to be clearance issues with the sway bar and shock body. The bracket would have to be notched in the rear for where the hose is, but you would also have to notch the front part of bracket quite a bit to clear the top of the shock. I suppose one could add washers as spacers to move the shock down a bit, but not sure. Even if you could clear the bracket, you will lose back 1" of clearance. Not worth it.

IMG_2373.png

IMG_2069.png

IMG_1353.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom