Real advise on 37's

deezus

Honestly, any chromoly shaft will get the job done well SO LONG AS you make sure to get them with full circle clips. Revolution is a good company that comes to mind but I've run Ten and Alloy USA in the past with no problems.

LOL!! I know that's part of the big sales pitch but I'd have to wonder when was the last time your axle shaft were bound up and to the point it was a real problem for you on the trail. Of course, if it really is something you experience all the time, I suppose a $400 premium is nothing to address it. I've run RCV's in the past and couldn't stand the way the snap and pop loudly after hard use. RCV will tell you this is totally normal just like they'll tell you twisted splines is totally normal. Don't know what the point of a warranty is if everything that seems wrong is normal.
Snapping and popping and 1200 dollars? I don't think so....why full circle clips and what is that? And I'm gonna take your advice ✌

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Snapping and popping and 1200 dollars? I don't think so....why full circle clips and what is that? And I'm gonna take your advice ✌

Factory front axle shafts have bearing caps that are held in place with c-clips. Over time, the yokes of your shaft can wollow out a bit and that can allow your bearing caps to rotate. Often times, this rotation of the bearing cap causes the c-clips to pry off. Once the c-clip is gone, there is nothing there to hold the bearing cap in place and it can fall out. Once the bearing cap is gone, the trunion can and will tear through the yoke ears - this is the most common break you will see with factory front axle shafts.

Full circle clips wrap entirely around the bearing cap and cannot come free. This alone will help prevent the most common form of front axle shaft failure and it's what serious off roaders have been using well before there was a JK and or fancy super expensive RCV's. They work, they work well and can be had for about $400 less than RCV's.

JoeB-JKURX

How critical is it to upgrade your ball joints. I am at about 50k mile with about 20k of that with 37's. Still running stock. I just checked today and there isn't any play in any of them, I do have a squeak when turning the steering wheel that has been on and off for last year now, I can't really figure out where its coming from. I have been looking at Prosteer ball joints, are they really that good and supposedly will last forever? I also assume I can take them out and install in new axle when that time comes?
I am planning to gusset the c's in next few weeks, should I just get the ball joints done at the same time? I found a guy that claims he can weld the gussets on without destroying balljoints, and by looking at his own build I really believe that he CAN (NecessaryEvil) !!!!! I don't want to spend money if I don't have to anymore...... please chime in

Relative to re-using the ProSteer BJs in a new axle. I believe Dynatrac sells the PR-44 with either a stock (OEM) BJs or ProSteer BJs. I don't recall no BJs being an option (though Dynatrac may well agree to a discount if you get it without BJs). Having replaced stock BJs with ProSteers (seemed like a huge effort that I'd not like to repeat), I believe I'd opt for a PR-44 with the ProSteers installed. This is especially true if you were to pay someone to remove the ProSteers from your old axle and install them in your PR-44.

WJCO

Meme King

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely do the full circle clips if you upgrade axles. This was on one of our recent runs. When he got home he checked his other side (the side that was still in tact), and his c clips were walking out. That's what likely broke the joint in the picture.

DSC04739.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info I'm sold because with the money I save I can now get that new PSC steering box!!!

That's what I would do :thumb:

So that it isn't missed, the advice guys like me offer are based on past experience and the mistakes we've made.

MOX4x4

It's what I'm running in Rubicat right now. ProRock 44 front axle with ALL my factory Rubicon parts. e-Locker, shafts and knuckles. I am running ProSteer ball joints but I was running them on my factory axle too. I'm surprised that more people don't know about this affordable option.

Same here except I upgraded the shafts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My dealer was trying to sell me the mopar kit with break booster and master cylinder. Is all that necessary? It is only for the front, the rear will stay as is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No. None of that is necessary and you will have a lot of nose diving with that kit. Watch the video I posted. Trust me, the ProGrip kit WORKS, keeps you flat when braking and does a better job of stopping compared to the Mopar kit.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
No. None of that is necessary and you will have a lot of nose diving with that kit. Watch the video I posted. Trust me, the ProGrip kit WORKS, keeps you flat when braking and does a better job of stopping compared to the Mopar kit.

I agree on the nose dive. Fucking Stealerships, not only do they want to steal my hard earned $$$ but they also want to make my jeep unsafe lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Quote Originally Posted by VeruGE*144 View Post
I like your honest opinion wayoflife!! if you look on other forums, everybody will tell you that you need to upgrade pretty much everything underneath there and weld on bunch of unnecessary parts and after reading all of that crap you are left worried that you need to get all that done, and if you are not doing 'all that' yourself you are in for a lot of $$$$ for services. I was once in those shoes, trying to believe everything I read online. I wish I signed up with Wayalife long time ago"
Nice people here

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't this the truth!! I read several forums, gather insight from each, learn new things, but the same thought of "go big or go home" is everywhere. I'd love to build a Jeep with all the latest and greatest on it from Dynatrac, EVO, ICON, Teraflex, etc. but like most everyone else, I have a other "priorities" (dang house, kids, wife, job, and even the dog!). I've spent 3 years building my JKU Rubicon by researching, deciding what I need, then waiting for the right deal to come along. I've learned to appreciate the Journey in the quest of building the right Jeep for me.

Enjoyed both these comments. As most of us know, its absolutely true. Same deal when I delved into getting our first pure-bred dog. Breeders are equal to 'go big go home' types. Your dog will xyz if you don't zyx.

Am thoroughly enjoying having entered the Jeep/wheeling realm. And, unlike the motorcycle side of things, I have avid family engagement with the Jeep. Even after ripping a fender off a couple weeks ago, my wife's like, "it's the price we pay in order to play." Gotta love her :). So as we continue to live, learn, and research, building Stitch is just an ongoing saga. Albeit slower at times than we might like.

Top Bottom