Rust!!

10abadilla/jk

Things are starting to rust little by little. And all this rain we have been having here in California seems to have sped up the process. I paint what I can. But other things can't always be painted easily. Does anyone have remedies? Or suggestions. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of how bad it has gotten.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

Knuckles. Ball joint castle nuts. Stock exhaust pipe is really bad. Especially the spacers and bolts. Parts of the axle here and there. It's mainly the front axle. Most of the hardware. I redid my track bar today and noticed the oem hardware was rusting. Just things here and there. I just don't want it to go from this to worse. I know I can replace the hardware. Just interested in what people are doing to prevent it.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

Here on the east coast rust is a huge problem. Especially with the crappy winters with all the salt and mystery chemicals they spray on the roads. You just have to keep after it with rattle can. There was a few other options that was on another thread but they all were labor intensive and wasn't a complete fix.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Fucking west coasters

lol seriously tho just try and paint what you can. If it's a light rust there is also a rust converter spray that works well. I try to grind everything back down after winter and paint it all for the sunner

Ddays

Hooked
Never thought I'd see the day when folks in Ca complain about rust! :crazyeyes:

The rust you're getting is cosmetic mostly. It's not like the shit we deal with over here on the Fucking East Coast.
WD-40 makes a rust inhibitor spray that works well.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Never thought I'd see the day when folks in Ca complain about rust! :crazyeyes:

The rust you're getting is cosmetic mostly. It's not like the shit we deal with over here on the Fucking East Coast.
WD-40 makes a rust inhibitor spray that works well.

I believe it was Crocodile Dundee that said, "that's is not rust, this is rust!"

IMG_6416.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
All of that rust sounds very common and normal. Don't sweat it. You can coat parts with fluid film though if it worries you that much.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Fucking west coasters

lol seriously tho just try and paint what you can. If it's a light rust there is also a rust converter spray that works well. I try to grind everything back down after winter and paint it all for the sunner

that one time rust formed on my gussets 10 minutes after jim welded them :cheesy:

Ddays

Hooked
See none of this shit would happen if you coat your undercarriage with your used motor oil :thumb:

Blackhawkip

This may be REDNECK and OCD at the same time but I learned that using "NoTouch" spray-on tire dressing stops rust from forming on suspension components. It is easy to apply and works well.

Ddays

Hooked
My grandpa made a living in the 60's and 70's doing that in New Springfield Ohio [emoji23]

LOL - I know it was common as hell back then. My buddys dad owned a bulk oil distributorship back then and he had a rig he setup to do this to peoples cars. Had a wand system where he'd do just like Ziebart used to except with shitty old used motor oil.
He did it out in the gravel parking lot. That place is probably classified as a Brownfield site now :icon_crazy:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
LOL - I know it was common as hell back then. My buddys dad owned a bulk oil distributorship back then and he had a rig he setup to do this to peoples cars. Had a wand system where he'd do just like Ziebart used to except with shitty old used motor oil.
He did it out in the gravel parking lot. That place is probably classified as a Brownfield site now :icon_crazy:

7&14 truck stop just up from 4wd use to spray motor oil in the parking lot to keep the dust down. Hell they did that into the 90's [emoji44]

Top Bottom