Tire carrier comparison, pros/cons?

zachsch

Just curious what the primary differences are (other than just aesthetics) between vertical versus slanted spare tire carriers, and also between body mounted versus bumper mounted carriers? Not particularly interested in comparing different brands here, just generalities, unless using a specific carrier as a "case in point."

Seems like the pros of slanted would be better departure angle and better weight carrying load distribution for big, heavy spares. Cons would be less usable space in the rear (not a loss if you're running a fastback top anyway).

Pros of a bumper mounted carrier would seem just to be less body/tub modifications and drilling than body mounted. Cons would be separate opening mechanism apart from the actual rear door (though some body mounted carriers might be designed this way too?).

All of these are being posed more as questions than statements as I'm just taking a stab at some guesses. Haven't done any mods to my stock carrier/bumper yet so I'm just looking for some insight! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Well you have crawler concepts as well as poison spyder who make bumper tie carrier conical that will open with one hand operation. Meaning they open with the tailgate. I think the LOD destroyer series does this as well.

sent from your basement

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Well you have crawler concepts as well as poison spyder who make bumper tie carrier conical that will open with one hand operation. Meaning they open with the tailgate. I think the LOD destroyer stores does this as well.

sent from your basement

Believe the AEV one does too but could be wrong.

OP- the slanted ones that are on the outside will put more weight higher up. Plus make it more of a chore to get it mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

I couldn't imagine lifting my spare on a slanted carrier, in my garage, with all the cold beer in the world waiting for my failures.

Attempting that on a trail? I'd rather find a nice tree to hang myself from.

Evo and crawler concepts make a nice body mount single action carrier that can hold up to 40's. Really convenient and easily reversible if you want to change it up at some point.

OhNoTheJiggies

The slant back ones are a pain even with a stock tire let alone a 35+ and usually just are a regular carrier with a bracket that allows for that angled look to match the trektop look if that's what you want... But hopefully you blow a tire under a tree so that you can use a snatchblock and winch to swap your spare.

Bumper mounted are nice for one handed operation if you get it integrated to your tailgate and can usually hold a lot of accessories on them(LOD destroyer and the signature one can have rotopax, gas cans, co2 tanks, beer cooler/gym bags(trail rack), high lift)

Body mounted cage carriers can require lots of drilling if you get the EVO one(which is super rugged), or less but still some body drilling if you get the poison spyder one. But mounting accessories on them isnt as easy. You can usually find a few ways to mount rotopax(ratchet strap system, or driectly bolt a pax mount onto it), and can sometimes put some other stuff on them or behind them too like on the tailgate hinge if you still have room around your tire for a high lift to squeeze in.

Body mounted hinge based carriers like the EVO or the crawler conceptz ones can solve your basic problems with a big tire on a stock carrier like rattles and eventual tailgate sag but don't offer too much in the accessory mounting potential.

Or you can toss your spare in the back if you got room for it but then you don't have room for much else back there.

OhNoTheJiggies

Also, to help with the worry of slamming your tire on stuff, I've seen lots of people use some square tubing in the hitch to slide down a rock instead... I know several people have done this, but the one from Clifford's tire carrier build was the first to come to mind...

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=848565

^^^And shout out to Jackal01 for informing me on how to point someone straight to a specific post in a thread :beer:

Last edited:

scrota76

I run the AEV, which opens with the tailgate. My only complaint is that i have to adjust it every time i hit the trail because it moves when i hit bumps, and makes a very loud thud (sounds like it might fall off). Could be due to 7 gallons of gas and a high lift. Overall i am happy. Works with a stock bumper i believe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Siebermd

I did a lot of Video and forum research before taking the tire carrier plunge. My primary focus was squeaking and rattling. Looking at most bumper based carriers, they have a tendency to have those traits. I cant stand squeaks and rattles... touch of OCD I guess. I finally settled on the OR Fab carrier. I am very pleased with its performance (no noise) and cost effectiveness. Price and performance cant be beat.

http://wayalife.com/asset.php?fid=179014&uid=11495&d=1475117566

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Slanted carriers will raise your centre of gravity and pretty much completely block your rear vision

This ^^^

The whole concept of the slanted tire carriers is simply retarded to me and designed entirely for looks. Completely impractical both on and off the trail, impossible to manage by yourself and puts extremely heavy weight high up effectively raising your center of gravity and only on the rear end.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Yep, you'd need to be one strong dude to mount 35s on a slanted tire carrier. They look cool, but just aren't functional. Also, mounting a big tire in the driveway is a bit different than out on uneven terrain.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I run the AEV, which opens with the tailgate. My only complaint is that i have to adjust it every time i hit the trail because it moves when i hit bumps, and makes a very loud thud (sounds like it might fall off). Could be due to 7 gallons of gas and a high lift. Overall i am happy. Works with a stock bumper i believe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have run the AEV as well for over two years with some hard use and have never had an issue or had to adjust. I too run with 7-10 gallons of gas in the reserve, a high lift, and a anchor. I couldn't be happier. The only issue is limiting to a 37" tire when you have the reserve installed

zachsch

This ^^^

The whole concept of the slanted tire carriers is simply retarded to me and designed entirely for looks. Completely impractical both on and off the trail, impossible to manage by yourself and puts extremely heavy weight high up effectively raising your center of gravity and only on the rear end.

Gotcha. I didn't know if the shift of the weight slightly forward and also improving the departure angle offset this setback any if at all. Don't have enough wheeling experience to know. Thanks!

Top Bottom