To Sell or Not to Sell

WillyRockIt

My first Jeep is a 90 YJ that has the 2.5L and a salvaged title. I bought it on the cheap from a good friend that was just looking to unload it after buying himself a new TJ. My wife and I loved putting around town with the top off and it was nice to have a manual vehicle again. Then I bought 14 JKU and I've pretty much lost all interest in building or keeping the YJ as I'm dumping all available Jeep fund $$ in the newer ride.
It was sitting in storage for about a year so I decided to bring it home and post it for sale. Well I guess it's true that "absence make the heart grow fonder" (or something like that). Now my wife is back in love with it and wants to clean it up and paint it a pretty blue and drive it all summer....

It needs some suspension/steering work. It has a new (in 2013) 4" RE lift that my son installed in auto shop his junior year. It needs some tweaks but doesn't ride too bad. The steering is pretty sketchy but manageable. Needs new tires and I hate the wheels that are on it. It has a new soft top, bar pads and front seats.

Now my question for you guys and gals. What would you do? Is it worth dumping a few grand into it to make it road worthy so I can sleep well at night knowing my wife will be driving it on So Cal freeways? Or should I sell and maybe save for another already dialed in beach/mall crawler she can have?

Thanks in advance for your advice and/or opinions!

Image1488346473.620055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

Personally I would keep it, paid for is the best kind of Jeep. Fix the little things to make it road worthy, parts are cheap and plentiful for YJs. Don't worry about wheels and paint right now. Save for those. The wheels are ugly but they hold the tires fine and the paint isn't flaking off as you drive 55 down the road. They aren't a necessity. To me it would be nostalgia. There are a few vehicles I regret getting rid of, like the TJ I drove when I took my now wife out for our first date.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JMac79

I would keep it and invest. I sold my truck when I moved overseas just to return and wish I kept it. It needed some work so I just took the money. I still wish I had it. Nothing is better than having a car paid for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that it's paid for, I'd keep it. Of course, this is coming from a guy who has a hard time selling any of his Jeeps :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
Personally I would keep it, paid for is the best kind of Jeep. Fix the little things to make it road worthy, parts are cheap and plentiful for YJs. Don't worry about wheels and paint right now. Save for those. The wheels are ugly but they hold the tires fine and the paint isn't flaking off as you drive 55 down the road. They aren't a necessity. To me it would be nostalgia. There are a few vehicles I regret getting rid of, like the TJ I drove when I took my now wife out for our first date.

In all seriousness ^^^This^^^. However if you do sell I call dibs..;)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

YJJK

As I found with my beloved YJ, and my hated JK, $5000.00 into a YJ gives you wondeful returns. The same amount into a JK, and you get not much. I wont sink any sink any more money in my JK until it is just a body and frame left of it. Then I sill make the lifted minivan (JK) a real Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

I have owned many Jeeps over the years. I regret getting rid of them all. While it was not practical for me to have kept them, I miss them and wish I still owned them. But if I were in your shoes, I would keep it. Especially since the wife loves it.

WillyRockIt

All good points. Keeping it really seems to be the best option. I hung on to it this long thinking I would do something with it it like a small block and 40's someday. Maybe it's better to make it a reliable fun Jeep for the misses and have an extra vehicle. Too bad my parking situation isn't ideal for another Jeep. That's one if the main reasons it ended up in storage.

Kalums

All good points. Keeping it really seems to be the best option. I hung on to it this long thinking I would do something with it it like a small block and 40's someday. Maybe it's better to make it a reliable fun Jeep for the misses and have an extra vehicle. Too bad my parking situation isn't ideal for another Jeep. That's one if the main reasons it ended up in storage.

You can park it at my place... Although it might not be practical... For you to drive it. :cheesy: :chessy:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
If the wife has another car, sell that one and sink that money into making the YJ a daily driver.

WillyRockIt

I'll be bringing it home in a few weeks when I take my camper back to storage. I'll probably tear into it once I get it home and get a better idea of what it really needs. Thanks for the advice all! I'll update after I get a game plan. Might need some more info from the experts!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Good decision to keep it in my opinion. I wish I still had my CJ7 more and more everyday. It's paid for and whatever you end up putting into it at this point is to improve your quality of life with it. Good position to be in.

Top Bottom