Maggie the Yellow JKU

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The good stuff

This is where I did what mattered the most. Taking into consideration our budget and how we use the Jeep, coilovers were not really required. Also, my logic for what it is worth, was I can't fix or replace a broken coilover. I can put in a new coil easily and even put in any generic shock to get me home. Odds of me ever breaking a coilover... probably not high at all, but simple is better in my book. I did want to make some changes to what I had been running to make thing more durable. To start, I removed the Teraflex body lift and replaced the 3.5 RE springs with 4.5 RE springs. This was done to solve a host of issues including body gap, better installation of sliders and raise the frame for clearance. I also purchased some King bypass shocks and front speed bumps. In the front, I added a Currie anti-rock and for the rear just the extensions also by Currie. I kept the rear drive shaft but replaced the front with a J.E. Reel. The best thing I did since my jeep is a Sport model was to ditch the Dana 30 in favor of a Pro-rock 44. I threw in Synergy ball joints and drag link flip. For gears I went with 5.13 and G2 chromoly axle shafts all around. The rear axle has the stock Trac-lock but I opted to run an Eaton E-locker up front. To strengthen the rear housing I added a Dynatrac diff cover. The only thing I need to get still is the heavy duty tie rod and the new PSC steering box, and of course better brakes. One day I will likely bump up to a Pro-rock 60 in the rear but that is a few years off.

IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Other goodies

A few other improvement I made was to get rid of the temporary Smittybilt parts. I put in a Poison Spyder brawler-lite with a Warn 10-s. I liked my old fairlead so I kept it. but did add a Prolink as referenced in an earlier post. I added Poison Spyder side armor. This was one of the things in retrospect where I wished I would have gone with EVO. The is more coverage under the flares with the EVO part. For sliders I chose the VKS Prerunner version. Kinda bummed I found out they copied the other style from EVO before I bought these. I can't say I like the idea of that at all. Anyhow, I do really like my rear tire mounting system. It is very solid and gives my Jeep the look and function I wanted. It fits under my soft top just fine I did add the new rear crossmember to clear it better. The Rancho tube door are something I love when I can use them but they are hard to take anywhere so I just have them for around town in good weather. Overall, I am pleased with how the Jeep "Maggie" has turned out. I did have a good time at the Off Road Expo and spent some time with the guys from Rock Hard and will be getting their cage kit before the year is done.

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
A few more things

When I think of stuff on my Jeep, it is kind of like after Christmas after you take everything down and put it away. Then, a week later you see a couple of things sitting out that you somehow missed and keep walking by without seeing. Then again, maybe that only happens to me. Anyhow, I forgot to mention on the suspension stuff that along with the 1 inch longer springs I needed to push the axle housing back a bit so I got upper and lower Rock Krawler rear control arms.

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG

I wanted to get rid of the low hanging exhaust but I didn't wan't any extra noise so I purchased an AFE axle back muffler. It fits nice and tight and really doesn't sound any louder or different than stock. Funny thing is I haven't done any thing really hardcore, but I still had dents in the original muffler so I guess I needed this.

IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

Here is a look at the full top on.

IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0090.JPG

And finally a little thing I got for christmas, some door inserts by Drake. Useless, but they look nice and dress it up and at least they are the black ones.

IMG_0099.JPG

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
One sweet transformation(s)!! I love the yellow! those king shocks are :rock:

Thanks! I know what you mean about ORF going out of business. I was going to do their corners and when I went to place the order I was told they went out of business like just the week before and no one had any in stock. I grew up in Lambertville Mi down by Toledo OH and my wife is from Kalamazoo. What part of the state are you in? This is actually my second yellow Jeep and both I bought new. I had a 2001 Cherokee similar to yours. It was stolen 3 weeks after I moved to AZ the first time and I never saw it again, it had 8,500 miles on it and was a year old. I was a ton of fun while I had it though.

sc0034dab7.jpg

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
its kind of funny when i found my yellow jeep i never really noticed how many there were out there and i was excited that it was going to be "rare" hahah. now that i have it i seem to notice how many more yellow jeeps there are. but i don't mind cause i love the color and they all look great!

your jeep is awesome and im really jealous of your hood! that is a sweet addition! just don't get half doors or paint your bead locks black then we will look too similar :cheesy: You, Defcon3JKU, and i should meet up so we can do a yellow jeep photo shoot!

I am picking up a PR44 next week and will be doing the install the following weekend. did you install yours yourself?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
That is one awesome looking Jeep.... I'm a little biased based on the color, but easily in my top 10 favorite rigs! Great build.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
A few other improvement I made was to get rid of the temporary Smittybilt parts. I put in a Poison Spyder brawler-lite with a Warn 10-s. I liked my old fairlead so I kept it. but did add a Prolink as referenced in an earlier post. I added Poison Spyder side armor. This was one of the things in retrospect where I wished I would have gone with EVO. The is more coverage under the flares with the EVO part. For sliders I chose the VKS Prerunner version. Kinda bummed I found out they copied the other style from EVO before I bought these. I can't say I like the idea of that at all. Anyhow, I do really like my rear tire mounting system. It is very solid and gives my Jeep the look and function I wanted. It fits under my soft top just fine I did add the new rear crossmember to clear it better. The Rancho tube door are something I love when I can use them but they are hard to take anywhere so I just have them for around town in good weather. Overall, I am pleased with how the Jeep "Maggie" has turned out. I did have a good time at the Off Road Expo and spent some time with the guys from Rock Hard and will be getting their cage kit before the year is done.

View attachment 248997

oh and where did you get that decal? i want need a decal made for my jeep!

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug

View attachment 248997

oh and where did you get that decal? i want need a decal made for my jeep!

I actually made it and took it to the mall where a decal place did the cut in black vinyl. Maybe I can pm it to you.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Didn't see a way to attach it in a pm. I'll post it here and maybe you can drag and drop or at least get an idea to do one yourself. Maggie skull.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
its kind of funny when i found my yellow jeep i never really noticed how many there were out there and i was excited that it was going to be "rare" hahah. now that i have it i seem to notice how many more yellow jeeps there are. but i don't mind cause i love the color and they all look great!

your jeep is awesome and im really jealous of your hood! that is a sweet addition! just don't get half doors or paint your bead locks black then we will look too similar :cheesy: You, Defcon3JKU, and i should meet up so we can do a yellow jeep photo shoot!

I am picking up a PR44 next week and will be doing the install the following weekend. did you install yours yourself?

Thank for the compliments! Yellow is awesome, it really makes us stand out. I'd love to get together one day when I am out that way. As far as the install goes, I had it put in. Being that I can't do gears and lockers plus still living in an apartment complex just made it impossible. Otherwise, I know I could have put the axle in were it already assembled that's super easy except for the lifting. I got what I think was a smoking deal for the while thing. $6,500 out the door for the front housing, Synergy ball joints, 5.13 gears front and rear, chromoly axles all around matching rear diff cover and the front eaton e-locker and complete installation. I left the factory trac-lock in the rear as I will get a 60 for the back in a couple years, hopefully plenty strong enough for now. Oh yeah, I am thinking of getting my rings painted but I am going back and forth between color match yellow and a dark metallic red like the pro-link. That will have to wait until I have the house so I can have all the tires off for the few days it will take at powdercoat.

Last edited:

cforgerson

Man. This is an awesome rig. I'm not a huge yellow guy but wow that jeep is beautiful. Hopefully I'll have the time and money to get my jeep looking that good. Definitely one of my favorite jeeps

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Man. This is an awesome rig. I'm not a huge yellow guy but wow that jeep is beautiful. Hopefully I'll have the time and money to get my jeep looking that good. Definitely one of my favorite jeeps

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. I know yellow isn't for everybody but I think I added enough black to tone it down and hopefully balance it out. Looking at the early pics, it nearly glowed.

Keithyellowjk

IMG_3513.jpg
I love your color but I am biased. Your Jeep is one of the best Yellow JK's I have seen. I hope someday I can have some of the same mods that you did. I have to keep saving my money. This pic is mine before I got a new front axle. Mine is probably due for a paint job because of the harsh winters and salt on the road here. Still going to keep it Detonator Yellow. I love how it stands out. Great build man!

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
View attachment 250867
I love your color but I am biased. Your Jeep is one of the best Yellow JK's I have seen. I hope someday I can have some of the same mods that you did. I have to keep saving my money. This pic is mine before I got a new front axle. Mine is probably due for a paint job because of the harsh winters and salt on the road here. Still going to keep it Detonator Yellow. I love how it stands out. Great build man!

Thanks! I'm originally from Michigan right across the line from Toledo. The salted roads are something I definitely don't miss. The great lakes though, I miss those a bunch. Looking at yours, the only thing it looks like it needs is some kind of sliders, otherwise it looks really good. I had to put steps at the front of the list when I lifted mine because the wife insisted. It also helps keep most of the gunk off the sides.

Top Bottom