Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winch power cable - splice or replace?

Long story short, I didn't pay attention to how my winch negative power cable was routed and it managed over time to wiggle free with its extra length and rub against a pulley on the engine.

Is this something I can just splice or would you recommend just replacing the entire cable? Thanks.

IMAG0075.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TANK View Post
    Long story short, I didn't pay attention to how my winch negative power cable was routed and it managed over time to wiggle free with its extra length and rub against a pulley on the engine.

Is this something I can just splice or would you recommend just replacing the entire cable? Thanks.

IMAG0075.jpg
    Personally those cables are not that expensive (unless something has changed drastically since I had my 08) ide just replace the whole cable because if you splice it you will always have problems with connectivity and corrosion. Just do it right the first time and save yourself time and headaches later.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kalums View Post
    Personally those cables are not that expensive (unless something has changed drastically since I had my 08) ide just replace the whole cable because if you splice it you will always have problems with connectivity and corrosion. Just do it right the first time and save yourself time and headaches later.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    THIS

And learn the lesson!! had this been the positive lead things would have gone south quickly... and you KNOW you'r scared of the south... we all are

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    THIS

And learn the lesson!! had this been the positive lead things would have gone south quickly... and you KNOW you'r scared of the south... we all are
    Believe me, I know. Scared the hell out of me when I saw it. I figured there would be possible issues with splicing. I'll get a new cable for sure now.

And yes, before anyone asks, the winch is disconnected currently. No way I'd let that sit.

Don't mean to Hijack but I had a quick question. It's there a large fuse one can install as close to the terminal? So had this been the positive cable it would have blown it instead of potentially causing a fire.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Don't mean to Hijack but I had a quick question. It's there a large fuse one can install as close to the terminal? So had this been the positive cable it would have blown it instead of potentially causing a fire.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yes, we install them on our police car builds. Painless wiring sells them

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    You mean to tell me that a fuse is better than a wired remote disconnect?
    We have fuses for fuses

When's there's 5k plus in electronics and lives depend on it.. yup !

Jesse you can pick up the fuse cheap on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)

You can do a circuit breaker as well. I have one for my rear power source. It's a 300 amp, but there's bigger ones as well:

DSC03661.JPG