Help a Moab newbie please

WisconsinDan

I am planing on heading to Moab this coming Saturday March 18, google says 19 hours from Wisconsin.

Last minute decision. Are there any permits or other things a newbie should know before heading out? I am talking things that would keep me off trails.

I'll update profile but 2016 Rubicon 4.5" AEV suspension 37" tires
(No beadlocks). CB radio, pretty good recovery kit. I think we are pretty good equipment and mech knowledge.

Not looking to prove anything just looking for views and a moderate or moderate plus off-road experience. Not looking for body damage kind of stuff.

We are probably trailering jeep in an enclosed camper trailer. Other wise we will wing on reservations.

Thanks all, I am pretty pumped to see Moab, I have never been to the southwest.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I am planing on heading to Moab this coming Saturday March 18, google says 19 hours from Wisconsin.

Last minute decision. Are there any permits or other things a newbie should know before heading out? I am talking things that would keep me off trails.

I'll update profile but 2016 Rubicon 4.5" AEV suspension 37" tires
(No beadlocks). CB radio, pretty good recovery kit. I think we are pretty good equipment and mech knowledge.

Not looking to prove anything just looking for views and a moderate or moderate plus off-road experience. Not looking for body damage kind of stuff.

We are probably trailering jeep in an enclosed camper trailer. Other wise we will wing on reservations.

Thanks all, I am pretty pumped to see Moab, I have never been to the southwest.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd suggest the Charles Wells trail guide. It's a great book. No permits to speak of. If you're going into the Sand Flats Rec area you'll have to get a pass at the gate. Think it's like 5 or 10 bucks or something. Have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I use an app called All Trails. Type in a trail name and it gives a summary about the trail and directions. You tube is always helpful to see how difficult a trail is also. Have fun, I'll be there in June myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I'll be there in June as well. First time. Lots of YouTube and the Charles wells book. It's also been suggested to have a good map of the park so I picked one of those up.

Ddays

Hooked
The one thing that you will not be prepared for is the amount of shelf roads out there. Some of them are pretty serious. More than half of them do not have guardrails. There are no trees either.
But it is beautiful there. The people are really nice as well. And do get the Wells book. Indispensable out there.

DGUTS

Last year was my first time in Moab. We went during EJS. We'll be there from March 18 - 23 this year (spring break for the kids) - so maybe we'll see you out on the trails.

We used the Charles Wells book to plan our trip before we went out, and then we used it on each trail. You can use GPS, or just reset your odometer at the beginning of the trail and whenever the book tells you to - it's a great resource.

There are a few areas that you pay - but if I remember correctly it's $5 for the day or $20 for the week, and it's on your honor.

We had a group of four Jeeps last year - one JK with 35s and a lift, my JKUR with 33s, another JK with 33s, and a XJ with 33s. The XJ guy had been out there one other time and rented a Jeep, so he was at least familiar with a handful of trails.

We did Fins and Things on the morning of the first day, and Hells Revenge in the afternoon/evening, and then Sevenmile Rim on day 2. All beautiful trails - and great for the first time. My son and I headed back a day early to beat a storm in the Rockies, but the other guys stayed out there and did a few more trails on days 3 and 4 before they came back to Omaha.

My JKUR has since been lifted and rides on 35s, and the JK that was on 33s has had a massive build done and now rides on 37s. We're a bit more prepared than we were last year!

We are thinking about doing Hells Revenge next Sunday morning, and then heading to Arches to do some hiking in the afternoon/evening. We're not 100% on the rest, but we are planning on being out on trails Monday through mid-day Thursday.

Last edited:

TJ2JK

Another vote for the Charles Wells book. You can buy it once there, they have at the visitor's center on main street.
In addition, Moab's own web site is great for all things Moab and has other links as well (Moab-Utah.com).
You may want to set-aside some time for a trip to Arches Nat'l Park....not to be missed either.
Expect great weather and you're in for a treat.
Enjoy.....

Top Bottom