Rockhounds on Wayalife

jesse3638

Hooked
There is a dry creek bed on some private land that has been in the family for well over 30 years here in Southern Colorado. When I was a kid my dad would take me there to search for fossils, which wasnt much of a search because damn near anything you picked up had a fossil on it.

On this rock wall, you could pull out just about any slice of rock and find an imprint of a sea shell. On this occasion we had a local visitor:

View attachment 250159

While the land sits at about 6000 feet elevation, it was once completely under an ocean. Hard to believe sometimes.
View attachment 250160
That is really cool. That's a good looking gopher snake too.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Cool thread. I used to look for sharks teeth when I lived in SC as a kid. Used to have one tooth that was larger than the palm of my hand. Would put it it about the width and length of my palm now. Wish it wouldn't have went missing after one of our many moves growing up.

sent from your basement

jmpen

IMG_20170326_194617628.jpg
Had the metal detector out tonight and found this. It's about the size of my palm and real heavy. Found in natural slate in a pretty remote area. Thoughts? Seems way too hard for lead and won't streak on paper.

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Nice thread!

I have some chunks of rock I took off with my center skid plate that I now use as weights in my winch line dampener :rolleyes2:

WJCO

Meme King
Got a chance to head up to a really cool rock shop in Estes Park. They have everything you could imagine.

DSC05080.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Finally got these done. It was a long process. About 2 months total.

IMG_20170513_130801_009.jpg

As you can see, the quartz came out the best.

IMG_20170513_130841_985.jpg

The next best was this group of random colored rocks.

IMG_20170513_130913_809.jpg

The landscaping driveway gravel was next.

IMG_20170513_131010_168.jpg

And lastly, these banded ones didn't take the polish well but they sure are pretty. They started out just barely a little harder than sandstone, so it's hard for polish to stick to them the same.

IMG_20170513_131101_339.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Finally got these done. It was a long process. About 2 months total.

View attachment 258433

As you can see, the quartz came out the best.

View attachment 258434

The next best was this group of random colored rocks.

View attachment 258435

The landscaping driveway gravel was next.

View attachment 258436

And lastly, these banded ones didn't take the polish well but they sure are pretty. They started out just barely a little harder than sandstone, so it's hard for polish to stick to them the same.

View attachment 258437
That's awesome. I was curious to see the results of that intriguing little drum you had spinning. May have to get one of those.

Top Bottom