REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere but why not give moby the upgrade and give rubicat the old 60? Obviously both rigs are very capable but I always assumed moby gets the better upgrades since it's more or less a street legal version of EVO1.

All though I believe evo and moby share a lot of the same parts. I think evo 1 is completely different now. Total race rig with things like the engine set back for better balance etc.
So you would disassemble two rigs to upgrade one and not show any love of new parts to the 44 front end that was under rubicat [emoji855]

As Journeyman said, it just would have way too much work to do and we would have been down 2 rigs instead of just one. Also, Rubicat is a 2012 and being that we were helping Dynatrac develop this new version of the XD60, it made more sense to use something current and with a stock motor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to her brand new Dynatrac XD60 front axle and PRO 1550 steering knuckles, there really is no question that Rubicat steers and turns a hell of a lot better than Moby, of who is still running a ProRock 60 front axle and with older Pro 60 steering knuckles. However, Cindy and I wanted to know, just by how much and how would she compare to something like a stock JK Unlimited. Needless to say, we decided to do some turning radius tests and here's what we found out. For reference, a bone stock JK Unlimited running 225/75R16 tires measures 73.9" wide and has an advertised curb to curb turning radius of 41.20'.

Out in an open parking lot, we found a pair of planters that were spaced exactly 5 parking spots apart and with each spot measuring 108" wide. This gave us an opening measuring 45 feet across and that was more than enough for a stock JK Unlimited to clear.
IMG_2054.jpg

With her new 72.5" XD60, PRO 1550 steering knuckles and running 37x13.50R17 Cooper STT Pros mounted on Trail Ready beadlock wheels that have 5.5" of back spacing, Rubicat measures 85" across. For the purposes of this test, we started her exactly on the inside edge of the passenger side parking line.
IMG_2052.jpg

As you can see, Rubicat easily cleared the planter but had it been a curb lining a street, she would have still hit the other side by if by just a bit.
IMG_2057.jpg

Here's a shot of Rubicat after pulling her all the way through the turn to the point where her front tire would have cleared. Curb to curb, we measured a turning radius of 45.27'. Basically, 4' more than stock.
IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

For comparison, with his 68.5" ProRock 60, Pro 60 steering knuckles and running 40x13.50R/17 Cooper STT Pros mounted on ATX Chamber Pro II beadlock wheels that have 4" of back spacing, Moby also measures 85" wide. Starting off at the exact same point.
IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

As you can see here, Moby couldn't make the U-turn and clear the planter.
IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

When all was said and done, we found that measuring curb to curb, Moby had a turning radius of 50.72'. That's almost 10' more than stock!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That is a great comparison! Really helps someone "see" the benefits of this new axle.

boardsurfer

Thanks for being so thorough. Really cool development by Dynatrac. :thumb:

Wow, so they have the exact same outside measurement but because of the axle and knuckle differences, Moby goes 6 feet or so farther.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Decided to take test drive to check on some steering stabilizer changes and found an empty lot in town to test out what a stock jku has for turning radius

Stock Dana 44
Method double standards wheels
17x8.5 with 4 3/4" backspacing
1-1/4" wheels spacers makes these essentially a 3-1/2 backspaces wheel
Basically a kmc machete or slab if you will minus a 1/2" of width.
Cooper stt pro 37" 13.5
The spaces in California (Julian) are a bit smaller than Nevada 101" no big surprises there.
I'm about ready to leave cali [emoji43][emoji1372] IMG_1280.jpg
Forgot to take a pic of the start Eddie, but I lined up just the same on the white line.
The pic is of the finish turn just across the fifth line
101"x5=505+ an additional 21" brings the turning radius to 43.83'
Actually a lot better than I expected.
Wtf my new axles are that are in the process of being built at dynatrac aren't so good in this department. Might have to make a phone call [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoCal_JK

Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere but why not give moby the upgrade and give rubicat the old 60? Obviously both rigs are very capable but I always assumed moby gets the better upgrades since it's more or less a street legal version of EVO1.

Technically EVO1 is "street legal." It has California license plates. I don't know if Mel drives it very far, but he has posted pictures of EVO1 when he drove it to a local gas station.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is a great comparison! Really helps someone "see" the benefits of this new axle.

For sure, it helped me to see the benefits of what we have. :yup:

Thanks for being so thorough. Really cool development by Dynatrac. :thumb:

Wow, so they have the exact same outside measurement but because of the axle and knuckle differences, Moby goes 6 feet or so farther.

Crazy isn't it! Both Jeeps have the exact same width but one turns a hell of a lot tighter :crazyeyes:

I was wondering where my turning radius went! :crazyeyes::crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

:cheesy:

Moby doesn't need to turn sharp it'll just climb over anything in its way.

:D Too true :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to take test drive to check on some steering stabilizer changes and found an empty lot in town to test out what a stock jku has for turning radius

Stock Dana 44
Method double standards wheels
17x8.5 with 4 3/4" backspacing
1-1/4" wheels spacers makes these essentially a 3-1/2 backspaces wheel
Basically a kmc machete or slab if you will minus a 1/2" of width.
Cooper stt pro 37" 13.5
The spaces in California (Julian) are a bit smaller than Nevada 101" no big surprises there.
I'm about ready to leave cali [emoji43][emoji1372] View attachment 249639
Forgot to take a pic of the start Eddie, but I lined up just the same on the white line.
The pic is of the finish turn just across the fifth line
101"x5=505+ an additional 21" brings the turning radius to 43.83'
Actually a lot better than I expected.
Wtf my new axles are that are in the process of being built at dynatrac aren't so good in this department. Might have to make a phone call [emoji848]

Thank you so much for doing this test and posting up your results! I've been dying to know what someone with your setup would see. :thumb:

Technically EVO1 is "street legal." It has California license plates. I don't know if Mel drives it very far, but he has posted pictures of EVO1 when he drove it to a local gas station.

License plate don't mean a whole lot if the tags on it aren't current ;)

Journeyman

Thank you so much for doing this test and posting up your results! I've been dying to know what someone with your setup would see. :thumb:

Yes sir [emoji1360] your very welcome. Actually all your tests got me really curious about what I currently have and how it compares to the changes I'll be doing soon. Glad to contribute!

SoCal_JK

Ha! I didn't pay close enough attention to catch that.

chitown35

LOSER
Wow I didn't expect the stock axle with 3.5" backspacing to be that good either compared to the wider axles. I guess it probably gets exponentially worse with a 3.14 somewhere in the equation.

Now I want to see the numbers from a 68.5" wide axle and 5" backspacing lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
can I ask what a recycle of the rear 60 means exactly? with me getting a Pro Rock 60 semi float axle soon I am curious what kind of option this could lead to for me on future upgrades?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
can I ask what a recycle of the rear 60 means exactly? with me getting a Pro Rock 60 semi float axle soon I am curious what kind of option this could lead to for me on future upgrades?
Original rear ProRock 60 was stretched 4" to match the 72.5" XD, allowing for matched backspacing x all 4 corners.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As doubletapdaddy said, we just took our old ProRock 60, kept the center section and ends and had it re-tubed to match our 72.5" front axle. All new brackets needed to be installed and custom shafts were needed as well. This is NOT something Dynatrac offers as an upgrade and it was done more as a favor to us than anything.

Top Bottom