Decisions...decisions...engine swap?

86cj7

I've been debating on which engine swap to do into my 86 CJ 7 4 cyl. I have 2 options available to me currently on hand. A 6.5 TD which I'm concerned about the weight on the frame/suspension or a 383 stroker TBI. Recently I found a complete LS1 set up for a resealable price with all accessory pulleys, PS, alt, wiring harness, ecm, etc...included. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
For reliability (over the stroker) I'd think the LS option would be the route to go. I like the smoothness of them, the way they run on and off the trail.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Turnkey LS engines are nice and hard to beat.
I think A 6.5 TD would destroy your CJ7. The 383 would be nice but it's TBI which is easy to work with until you get steep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

The easiest swap would be an amc v8. 360's are easy to find in j-trucks and waggys. The best diesel swap in my opinion is the mercedes om617. Nice and quiet, dead reliable, and very efficient. The best all around swap is hands down the Ls. All the power you would want in a cj, tons of aftermarket support, crazy reliable, and packaging is very nice in a cj.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

professorkx

Yup, go with the LS, no question.

I've done a ton of motor swaps with v6 and v8 motors, and considered a diesel, but the weight always keeps me away. I'm currently converting the v6 in my son's 2007 JK 4 door to a 5.7 Hemi and auto trans from a Cherokee Overland that was wrecked with 50,000 miles on the clock. Love swapping motors and fabricating parts....

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Yup, go with the LS, no question.

Love swapping motors and fabricating parts....

Sweet, wanna come do mine? Lol. I'm saving for a V8 for my 07 JKU. I'm curious why Hemi over LS? I'm leaning towards the LS based on all the good reviews I've read and the tendency Hemis have to overheat in the JK.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I've been debating on which engine swap to do into my 86 CJ 7 4 cyl. I have 2 options available to me currently on hand. A 6.5 TD which I'm concerned about the weight on the frame/suspension or a 383 stroker TBI. Recently I found a complete LS1 set up for a resealable price with all accessory pulleys, PS, alt, wiring harness, ecm, etc...included. Any thoughts?

Since you are in Califormia I recommend you look into whether any swap is going to be subject of emissions restrictions. That may impact your choice.

86cj7

Well everyone, I bought a 5.3l out of a 2004 Silverado complete with wiring harness, computer, pedal, 4l60e trans, and all accessories. Has 102k on it. I'm planning on doing ARB head stubs and taking a look at the inside before I put it in the CJ7. Any suggestions on where to send the wiring harness to set up for the CJ7? Also, any suggestions on what else I should do to the engine before the install? Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Top Bottom