Driveshafts

Romac2223

I need help with picking a driveshaft, I will be installing a 2.5"Rock Krawler max travel lift and can't decide which driveshaft to purchase. Which driveshaft would you choose and why? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much any 1350 shaft with Neapco or Spicer joints will get the job done. I've run JE Reel and Coast with great results but I've also had custom shafts made by my local driveline shop and they work great too. The biggest benefit of going that route is that you will need to have your shaft balanced and serviced from time to time and it doesn't hurt to just start with the shop that you'll end up using.

How big of a tire are you hoping to run and do you have a 2-door or a 4-door?

JKbrick

Pretty much any 1350 shaft with Neapco or Spicer joints will get the job done. I've run JE Reel and Coast with great results but I've also had custom shafts made by my local driveline shop and they work great too. The biggest benefit of going that route is that you will need to have your shaft balanced and serviced from time to time and it doesn't hurt to just start with the shop that you'll end up using.

How big of a tire are you hoping to run and do you have a 2-door or a 4-door?

Or the terra high angle reppza joints. Same as a 1350............

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
I run 3.5 lift with stock shaft for about a year now. No issues so far the boot is fine so i will run it until it dies on me. It is obviously beneficial to upgrade to 1350 however there is no immediate need to do so with 2.5 lift.

Also i assume you asking about front shaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Or the terra high angle reppza joints. Same as a 1350............

:cheesy:

I run 3.5 lift with stock shaft for about a year now. No issues so far the boot is fine so i will run it until it dies on me. It is obviously beneficial to upgrade to 1350 however there is no immediate need to do so with 2.5 lift.

Also i assume you asking about front shaft?

To be clear, there is no problem assuming you are running shocks that are short enough to prevent the slip shaft boot from making contact with the exhaust cross over. Not all kits come with the same length shocks. Of course, that's just part of the problem - the other is that at 3" or more, your front shaft will sit at a steeper angle leaving your output shaft CV boot in a constant state of pinch. It won't happen over night but that pinch will cause it to fail prematurely. But, like you, if you're not having any problems yet, I might leave well enough alone and buy what you need when you need it.

Andy5160

Hooked
:cheesy:

To be clear, there is no problem assuming you are running shocks that are short enough to prevent the slip shaft boot from making contact with the exhaust cross over. Not all kits come with the same length shocks. Of course, that's just part of the problem - the other is that at 3" or more, your front shaft will sit at a steeper angle leaving your output shaft CV boot in a constant state of pinch. It won't happen over night but that pinch will cause it to fail prematurely. But, like you, if you're not having any problems yet, I might leave well enough alone and buy what you need when you need it.

Thank's for clarification Eddie. I might need new shaft sooner then i think:)

Top Bottom