Costco Interstate Batteries

Slimebones

I have seen others here recommend the Costco battery for our JK's. Seems like it is for their deep cycle battery. I checked today and they offer a "Marine" model. Is this the same battery others have recommended? I noticed the warranty is not as long as is on their regular gel cell battery specified in their catalog (group 34). Am hoping those who recommended their battery will chime in here. Is this the battery you bought and how has it treated you?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running one right now on a few of my Jeeps and they seem to be holding up. If I recall, the marine ones have lower cold cranking amps and that's why I didn't go with one of them. Nice thing about Costco if anything goes wrong, they'll replace it no questions asked.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

MrEmmDubya

I have run Interstate on my boat in the past(marine). My experience is that they held up better than other batteries for the first 2 years. But, they dont seem to last very well past that. These are deep cycle and on the boat i work them hard. By the third year they dont hold up well at all.

Slimebones

I did notice on their regular AGM group 34 battery (from application chart) they had a 42 month full refund warranty, as opposed to the same sized marine battery which had a 12 month full refund warranty. Also 800 cold cranking amps vs 550 cold cranking amps.
Does a deep cycle battery have any real benefits when it comes to winching?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does a deep cycle battery have any real benefits when it comes to winching?

Winching is the whole point for getting a deep cycle battery as they are designed to be deeply discharged, using most of its capacity and on a regular basis.

Slimebones

Winching is the whole point for getting a deep cycle battery as they are designed to be deeply discharged, using most of its capacity and on a regular basis.

Thanks for the quick reply. So you would then recommend a deep cycle if winch is to be used. But you did mention you bought a couple of the non deep cycle units and seem happy with them. What am I missing here?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply. So you would then recommend a deep cycle if winch is to be used. But you did mention you bought a couple of the non deep cycle units and seem happy with them. What am I missing here?

Sorry for the confusion, the standard batteries I bought were for my old J2000 and Jeepster Commando. Moby and Rubicat are running Odyssey batteries. Crazy expensive but work really well. Originally, I wasn't understanding you were wanting one for a winch.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Deep cycle batteries are great for cold starts or when the Jeep is off and you need to winch. What a deep cycle does is allows the battery to go below 9.6 volts MULTIPLE times without it killing a battery. Also they have a longer amp hour rating if your alternator fails for any reason. Normal batteries can really only be pulled below 9.6 volts a couple times before they will go bad and tend to not have a good amp hour rating. ALL marine battery's are deep cycle batteries because they tend to need a longer crank and need to power accessories like a bilge pump multiple times between starts

Slimebones

Sorry I was not clear on my inquiry. Seems like the Costco deep cycle (marine) might not be the way to go due to the lower ccc's. And thanks for the explanation. Guess I need to save up for the Odyssey. Thanks again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I was not clear on my inquiry. Seems like the Costco deep cycle (marine) might not be the way to go due to the lower ccc's. And thanks for the explanation. Guess I need to save up for the Odyssey. Thanks again.

Unless you're doing a ton of winching, you should be fine until you can afford to replace your battery. For now, just make sure to keep your engine running when winching as that will help.

Top Bottom