Spitballing axle gears and locker set up for my next step looking for input

jkrichard

Nope. Auburn is it's own thing....

Speaking of auburn... can't get that stupid piece to actually lock, or less limited slip if you know what I mean...

To the OP lots of people run the two your asking about, with that said I believe the e locker that comes in the rubi is made by eaton but I could be totally wrong. That said, I bought an X so I have no experience with the rubi set up.

JKbrick

Nope. Auburn is it's own thing....

Speaking of auburn... can't get that stupid piece to actually lock, or less limited slip if you know what I mean...

To the OP lots of people run the two your asking about, with that said I believe the e locker that comes in the rubi is made by eaton but I could be totally wrong. That said, I bought an X so I have no experience with the rubi set up.

I wasn't sure, my neighbor is an engineer at Auburn Gear thought maybe he could answer any questions for him

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Not sure on the brand of the rubi locker was just asking since they only have 30 spline lockers if an eaton E locker with 30 spline shafts would be weaker than the 32 spline and rubi E locker rear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm running my stock shafts with a 30 Spline Yukon Zip Locker in the Rear, I think this setup should last me a while, Maybe a year or two down the road I'll consider a Trail 60 or a 35 Spline upgrade from Dynatrac for my Rear. I don't see mine braking with 35's in the mud...

aermotor

I'm running my stock shafts with a 30 Spline Yukon Zip Locker in the Rear, I think this setup should last me a while, Maybe a year or two down the road I'll consider a Trail 60 or a 35 Spline upgrade from Dynatrac for my Rear. I don't see mine braking with 35's in the mud...

Trail 60s are pretty much discontinued and more expensive than PR60s per Dynatrac. If anything keep the rear 44 and upgrade the locker and shafts to 35 spline.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Just so i have my facts straight
the stock sport D44 rear has equal length 30 spline shafts correct?
the rubi rear has un equal length 32 spline shafts?

and does eaton make a E locker for the rear 44 with anything other than 30 spline?
so if i went with the eaton E locker in the rear 30 spline my stock shafts should fit??

thinkin maybe PR44 front E locker with 4.56s ($5300) plus E locker and 4.56s rear with my stock shafts would set me back $1400 if i set the gears myself for $6700 total.

which is the same price as Dynatrac trail leader with ARBs and 35 spline rear shafts, so not quite as strong but i can run the 4.56s and E lockers i prefer

just thinking out loud and checking some facts :thumb:

Sahara/sport have he same length shafts. Rubicon rears are different lengths. If I remember correctly the Eaton 30 spline locker is only for the rear 44. Not sure when you are going to pull the trigger, but Arb has a special where you get a free compressor with the lockers. So it'll save you a chunk of change. I would say go the trail package with bigger shafts if you're paying the money to install. You may have to spend 200$ on a master kit. But I would say it would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Sahara/sport have he same length shafts. Rubicon rears are different lengths. If I remember correctly the Eaton 30 spline locker is only for the rear 44. Not sure when you are going to pull the trigger, but Arb has a special where you get a free compressor with the lockers. So it'll save you a chunk of change. I would say go the trail package with bigger shafts if you're paying the money to install. You may have to spend 200$ on a master kit. But I would say it would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I'm actually thinking about taking aermotors advise and pick up Rubicon axles for now the 4.10s and E lockers will get me by for quite some time and is way easier to come up with the cash in a timely matter.

I did call dynatrac a few times to get info, their trail leader package comes with everything for the rear including R&P and the master overhaul kit and true right now with their deal I would get a free compressor so if I set the rear up myself it's a done deal at 6500 which is a really good value.
If I were to later just buy the locker and shafts upgrade that they have for the rear that kit does not come with a R&P or the overhaul kit so that would be extra cost if I only went that route for the rear later.

If I do get some rubi axles I'll just have to make the decision later weather I go with the PR44 housing and rubi internals IF I end up bending the housing on 37s which would be phase 3 of my build long down the road. Or I could even for full PR44 set up with E locker and 4.56s like I want and sell the rubi front and I'll still be in it for roughly 6800 so not too bad really.

I am still wondering how a Rubicon rear axle with stock locker and 32 spline shafts compares in strength to a sport rear with eaton E locker and 30 spline shafts bit either way those 2 options should last me plenty on 33s and even 37s as I didn't have any issues with my stock rubi rear axle on 37s in my last JKUR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Auburn ected is the one I was thing no Eaton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah your right they make a super 44 35 spline rear locker for the D44

http://aftermarket.auburngear.com/ected-max/dana-super-44.html#prettyPhoto

says it goes from a limited slip to full lock, instead of open to lock ill have to look up how they do that if its clutch plates or like a truetrac limited slip. It also mentions non C clip id have to do some research on what that entails.

Anyone have experience with this locker?

Just looked again and on their website is says Rubicon only... is the rear D44 rubicon housing different than the sport D44 housing?? i know the shafts are different lengths but i thought that had something to do with the factory locker not the housing? Or maybe they are saying that because it only takes the rubicon uneven shafts, but its 35 spline so...... im confused haha unless the housings are different

Last edited:

desertrunner

looks like i may have found my answer on another thread about the rear carrier bearings being different sizes which equates to a different housing. which still looks like i havent found a 35 spline shaft rear electronic locker that fits the non rubicon D44. BUT going back to one of my previous options if i go with Rubi axles there is a 35 spline rear electronic locker i could upgrade to later if i blow through a rubicon locker on 37s.

desertrunner

looks like i just wasnt looking hard enough turns out Aurburn and OX both make electronic 35 spline shaft lockers, and OX has that option that fits rubicon and non rubicon housings so i could upgrade either depending on the route i go for my rear axle.

aermotor

Let us know what you ultimately do, the Rubicon axles are just a real cost effective way to get into it and you can always sell them later you recoup if you go bigger.

desertrunner

Let us know what you ultimately do, the Rubicon axles are just a real cost effective way to get into it and you can always sell them later you recoup if you go bigger.

right now im leaning towards Rubi axles just because it would get me the E lockers i want and the 4.10s will be fine for 33s

right now especially with the free compressor the Trail leader package is the best bang for the buck but im just worried ill go too far with the 4.88s and end up on the other spectrum of too big of gears for 33s haha

Im thinking run the rubi stuff for a while be able to build up to the 37s then look into something like the 44/60 set later down the road seems like logical stepping stones for me.

desertrunner

shoot if i end up with rubi axles ill compete the trifecta of axles t case and sway bar.... guess i should have just bought a rubi haha

aermotor

right now im leaning towards Rubi axles just because it would get me the E lockers i want and the 4.10s will be fine for 33s

right now especially with the free compressor the Trail leader package is the best bang for the buck but im just worried ill go too far with the 4.88s and end up on the other spectrum of too big of gears for 33s haha

Im thinking run the rubi stuff for a while be able to build up to the 37s then look into something like the 44/60 set later down the road seems like logical stepping stones for me.

shoot if i end up with rubi axles ill compete the trifecta of axles t case and sway bar.... guess i should have just bought a rubi haha

I think it's a good way to go especially for 33s or 35s.

The compressor is only $200 so I wouldn't get too excited about that, and the gears might be the bigger issue.

You don't even really need a 60 rear up to 37s, the stock 44 housing is plenty strong, you can just upgrade to new internals, saves you $4500.

I'm running chromoly axle shafts so I have a little more strength but they aren't necessary on a Rubicon with 33s or so.

desertrunner

I think it's a good way to go especially for 33s or 35s.

The compressor is only $200 so I wouldn't get too excited about that, and the gears might be the bigger issue.

You don't even really need a 60 rear up to 37s, the stock 44 housing is plenty strong, you can just upgrade to new internals, saves you $4500.

I'm running chromoly axle shafts so I have a little more strength but they aren't necessary on a Rubicon with 33s or so.

reall i think its the best option for me on 33s right now, i cant get any of the package deals through dynatrac without being way too much overkill for 33s and if i do it separate with a PR44 front configured right for 33s its gonna be a bit of work to set up my rear and its going to worse bang for my buck in the long run.

So the rubi axles will be great for 33s and be cheaper so i can save up to save up for suspension and 37s, run the rubi axles until i break them on 37s THEN worry about jumping into a good dynatrac set up.

I still have a few other odds and ends i want to get to like a rear bumper and tire carrier, better sliders etc.

Top Bottom