Opinions on Lights

gheller

I have my TrailRockers and getting ready to hook them up to some accessories and lights now that warmer weather is on the way.

I wanted to hook up some lights, and I like the old school look rather than light bars. I have become accepting of the 50" lightbars but considering some LED cubes or small rounds on the roof.

Looking at either the KC LZR 4" round LED with stone guards or the PIAA 5" round LED with stone guards in a light bar mount.

Here is an example of LED pods on a bar mount but I'm leaning more towards replacing them with 4" or 5" rounds. My GF doesn't like the large round old school lights so I'm trying to keep them smaller.

What thinks ye? IMG_2087.JPG

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's a personal choice. I can tell you 1 pair of cubes and a single row 10" LED on the winch looks like a 747's landing lights when I fire them up. I don't need anymore candlepower than it already has. I don't like 50" bars, mostly because of the types of people who run them, and the reported whistling issues. Get what you like.

My last bit of advice- and this is only because i wasted good money. I bought into the the hype that you need a name brand LED- I had a $500 rigid bar that leaked and was sent back 3 times. Each time it was over a month before I got it back. Also had a baja designs squadron for a back up light, it filled halfway up water in a few weeks of driving. LED lights are the only item I recommend buying cheapo chinese stuff because rigid and likes are chinese too, just with slicker marketing. At least when a knock off leaks or dies, you're only out $30-100. I had a 30" totron LED on my F250 that never leaked, it was great and under $200.

gheller

Thanks for your reply, and good points.

I agree, I'm not concerned with the output of the lights so much as I am about their appearance.

Any LED these days are going to provide excellent output, but my question is really about looks. I do like the old school round light look and also have come to appreciate the new lightbar look but I'd rather go with something different.

Leaning towards the hybrid of LED in the old school round form.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

Also, I'm looking to keep it all in the USA.
That's why I'm looking at just a few select brands.
PIAA has those cool 5" rounds but I'm Not sure where they're made

BaddestCross

I have my TrailRockers and getting ready to hook them up to some accessories and lights now that warmer weather is on the way.

I wanted to hook up some lights, and I like the old school look rather than light bars. I have become accepting of the 50" lightbars but considering some LED cubes or small rounds on the roof.

Looking at either the KC LZR 4" round LED with stone guards or the PIAA 5" round LED with stone guards in a light bar mount.

Here is an example of LED pods on a bar mount but I'm leaning more towards replacing them with 4" or 5" rounds. My GF doesn't like the large round old school lights so I'm trying to keep them smaller.

What thinks ye? View attachment 250073

I'm with you. I like the old school round look way better than the solid bar, but I couldn't swallow the cost of what most brands were asking. I went with 7" rectangular LEDs as a compromise.

IMG_1489542201529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

gheller

I'm with you. I like the old school round look way better than the solid bar, but I couldn't swallow the cost of what most brands were asking. I went with 7" rectangular LEDs as a compromise.

View attachment 250093

Very nice, I saw that somewhere too. Where did you find a lightbar that accommodates 6 lights, and who makes those rectangular led pods?

I am biased and trying to keep it American made.

BaddestCross

Very nice, I saw that somewhere too. Where did you find a lightbar that accommodates 6 lights, and who makes those rectangular led pods?

I am biased and trying to keep it American made.

Yeah, I wanted to stick with USA, but my budget couldn't handle it. I just can't justify $1500 on lights. Those are Chinese lights I picked up on Amazon for $20 each. I mounted them on the front hoop of my Congo Pro roof rack with some 2" rollbar brackets that I installed angled down so the lights would be pretty close to even with the bar and not stick up so high.

Screenshot_2017-03-20-20-46-08.jpg

gheller

Very tempting, they look great.

I am considering these KC LZR round light. 5 on a Rugged Ridge bar.

I'm just concerned that may be too small and there are no images of them in this setup in the web.

IMG_2091.JPG

BaddestCross

Very tempting, they look great.

I am considering these KC LZR round light. 5 on a Rugged Ridge bar.

I'm just concerned that may be too small and there are no images of them in this setup in the web.

View attachment 250101

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. It's like carrying the sun with me when they're on out in the desert. 😂

Those KCs were on my short list too. When I was doing the math, I figured I'd need 7 of them to fill the bar up... Once again, cost was the deciding factor. I think they'd look great if you get enough of them. The pic in your original post (the cubes) looks too sparse, IMHO.

gheller

This is what I have on my Jeep. KC LTZ's are great lights and they are not big in my opinion and will serve you well.

Thanks for your info. I really dig these, just hoping that 5 of them won't look too "sparse" as Baddest Cross mentioned.

These are bigger than the cubes in the original post so hopefully they fill up the bar a little more.

BaddestCross

Thanks for your info. I really dig these, just hoping that 5 of them won't look too "sparse" as Baddest Cross mentioned.

These are bigger than the cubes in the original post so hopefully they fill up the bar a little more.

You can always add a couple more if it doesn't look how you want it to. 😎

Top Bottom