Problem reinstalling new brake pads and rotor

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Sorry, I see that my last comment was probably confusing. The thing that you are calling a 15mm bolt is not a bolt. That is the sliding pin and should just pull out. If not, cut the boot off, put a vise grips behind the head and pound it out. If it's that tight the pin and bracket are probably both shot. You might want to just replace them.

WJCO

Meme King
Loosely set the caliper on the pads. Then reinstall the small top bolt only into the sliding pin securing the caliper to the pin. Then flip the caliper up (the slide pin will act as a pivot). Once caliper is clear of the bracket, you can pull the whole thing out together. Gripping onto the caliper with your hands will give you a better chance of getting the pin out.

puckjer

Loosely set the caliper on the pads. Then reinstall the small top bolt only into the sliding pin securing the caliper to the pin. Then flip the caliper up (the slide pin will act as a pivot). Once caliper is clear of the bracket, you can pull the whole thing out together. Gripping onto the caliper with your hands will give you a better chance of getting the pin out.

Just tried this as well with no luck. Dang thing is really stuck. Went ahead and ordered a new bracket as no one seems to have them in stock locally. Should have it tomorrow. I'm guessing I should be pretty liberal on the grease when I reinstall the pins. Anti squeal brake grease ok?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm guessing I should be pretty liberal on the grease when I reinstall the pins. Anti squeal brake grease ok?

Yes. Put a fair amount of grease on the new pin. And that type of grease will be fine. Also, does the bracket for sure come with new pins? Some do, some don't, FYI.

puckjer

Yes. Put a fair amount of grease on the new pin. And that type of grease will be fine. Also, does the bracket for sure come with new pins? Some do, some don't, FYI.

Not sure. I had already bought 2 new pins and boots though so should be all set

Mtsnowjk

I had this same problem too last year. There was a small tear in the boot and a year of grime and road salt froze the pin inside the bracket. It took a ton of heat and PB to loosen it up. Once it came out, you could see that the pin was all pitted, as was the channel it sits in. Luckily the dealer nearby had a replacement bracket in stock.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom