Help with diagnosis

I was underneath my jeep the other day and noticed grease around the front part of my rear driveshaft. 2dr JK with a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with EVO springs.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a new rear driveshaft. I've read about the torn "boot"...is that what I have? Thx

IMG_2075.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sure what it looks like. Check around the output seal too just to make sure you're not throwing tcase fluid out. But that looks to me like driveshaft will be making noise soon.

WJCO

Meme King
I have looked at that Teraflex thingamagig, and can't see how it would solve the problem of the drive shaft being at a steep angle any different than the way the stock drive sits at an angle.

Rzeppa joint is leaking they have rebuilds for it. Also Teraflex makes a high angle kit for lifted Jeeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've read a little about the rebuilds, not sure yet if I'll go that route or just get a new shaft.

Also, not sure how long it has been leaking. I recently switched out my Rubicon Express springs for EVO's, I think I may be sitting a little higher. I'm wondering if that extra height/angle is what caused it.

I've also read that some members have custom made shafts, but I'm in Hawaii, not sure if that's an option out here. I'll have to look around, ask around I guess.

Thanks for the replies!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Can't go wrong with a new shaft from someone like JE Reel. A custom shaft from a local company who builds and balances them can be good too. Whatever driveshaft you get, make sure it's from someone who uses high quality made in the USA u-joints such as Spicer joints. On a 2dr JK, you'll want adjustable upper arms to be able to properly set the pinion angle on the rear axle.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I just looked at Teraflex's site. Looks like they discontinued the high angle joint and decided to just sell 900 dollar drive shafts instead :crazyeyes:

tf.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was underneath my jeep the other day and noticed grease around the front part of my rear driveshaft. 2dr JK with a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with EVO springs.

I'm thinking I'm going to need a new rear driveshaft. I've read about the torn "boot"...is that what I have? Thx

View attachment 250280

I've read a little about the rebuilds, not sure yet if I'll go that route or just get a new shaft.

Also, not sure how long it has been leaking. I recently switched out my Rubicon Express springs for EVO's, I think I may be sitting a little higher. I'm wondering if that extra height/angle is what caused it.

I've also read that some members have custom made shafts, but I'm in Hawaii, not sure if that's an option out here. I'll have to look around, ask around I guess.

Thanks for the replies!

So wait I'm confused. Which lift exactly are you running? 3.5 rubicon express or the evo springs? If the evo springs what lift ones are you running?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, looks like your CV boot has failed. It literally is just a matter of time before the bearings inside fail as well. Once you start hearing a ratcheting sound, they are done. It really would be in your best interest to get a new u-joint style double cardan drive shaft but you will NEED to get adjustable rear upper control arms as well to set your pinion angle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have looked at that Teraflex thingamagig, and can't see how it would solve the problem of the drive shaft being at a steep angle any different than the way the stock drive sits at an angle.

Yup, wouldn't change the fact that the CV boot would STILL be in an constant state of pinch due to the steep angle that the shaft is sitting in. Essentially, what caused the boot to fail.

So wait I'm confused. Which lift exactly are you running? 3.5 rubicon express or the evo springs? If the evo springs what lift ones are you running?

originally I had the 3.5" RE LIFT...I felt like the RE springs rode too hard for my liking. I recently purchased the EVO 3" kit. My plan was/is to gradually replace the RE with the Enforcer kit. I installed the EVO springs about 3-4 weeks ago. I started a thread on here and got some great advice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
originally I had the 3.5" RE LIFT...I felt like the RE springs rode too hard for my liking. I recently purchased the EVO 3" kit. My plan was/is to gradually replace the RE with the Enforcer kit. I installed the EVO springs about 3-4 weeks ago. I started a thread on here and got some great advice.

Ok just making sure. The re springs prob gave you more like 4"+ of lift and the evo springs are prob giving you around 4" of lift as well due to how much lighter a 2 door weights. At that height you really do need rear upper adjustable control arms to help set pinion angle as well as an aftermarket ds from a company like Adams, je reel, or coast.

Ok just making sure. The re springs prob gave you more like 4"+ of lift and the evo springs are prob giving you around 4" of lift as well due to how much lighter a 2 door weights. At that height you really do need rear upper adjustable control arms to help set pinion angle as well as an aftermarket ds from a company like Adams, je reel, or coast.

Ok, thanks a lot for the advice and confirmation.

I already have the lower control arms (from the Enforcer kit). I took some measurements of the factory arms and these, even when adjusted to their shortest setting (if I remember right) are like a half inch longer than the factory arms.

I haven't installed them yet because I've been worried that it would throw off my handling. Would adjustable uppers help with this? In other words, I'm thinking if the lowers are longer, the uppers would need to be adjusted shorter (than the factory arms)? Or I could be way off on this...

madstiles

Thanks for the replies!

If you can afford an upgrade I would definitely go that route but the rebuild doesn't seem difficult and at less than $100 it will get you by for a good amount of time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom