Taking a volmeter to the winch

ZachJKUR

Winch Issues - Multimeter measurements

So I have a Quadratec 11000 lb winch (I'm a college student so I couldn't afford a Warn) and I am having issues with it. So far I know that the motor is shot. However, I'm trying to diagnose the solenoid and noticed that the rotor lead, and both stator leads all have the same voltage with reference to ground. I know the rotor and at least one of the stator leads should be charged, so I guess my question is, should both stator leads be charged (and both be at the same voltage)? I feel like one should be charged when winching in and the other when winching out, but I am not entirely sure.

Also, Superwinch vs Warn? for when I can afford it :thumb:

Last edited:

jeff_in_rc

Get testing instructions from Q-tech to make sure you test it correctly so you don't make a mistake. Just my 0.02.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Maybe Cozdude can chime in on this one, as he just went through testing his winch and Quadratec ended up sending him a replacement after it ended up not being the solenoid and was the motor I think.

ZachJKUR

Maybe Cozdude can chime in on this one, as he just went through testing his winch and Quadratec ended up sending him a replacement after it ended up not being the solenoid and was the motor I think.

Any help is awesome. Unfortunately it is out of warranty, so I'm replacing parts on my own, which is why I want to make sure i get it right. However, the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, when the inch was new. They sent me a solenoid, and that turned out to not be the issue so they sent me a new winch. It doesn't get used much so I'm really distraught to be having the same issue.

On another note, does anyone have any input on the new Gen II VR series winches by Warn? That may be an option at their price range, but I know the original VRs weren't great so I am hesitant.

jeeeep

Hooked
well this is comforting.

I finally installed the same winch after letting it sit in the closet for several years and haven't even put the line on it yet. Guess I better do it now so if it doesn't work I'll take it off before EJS.

I knew I should've gone Warn but I let the $$$ sway me :doh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Any help is awesome. Unfortunately it is out of warranty, so I'm replacing parts on my own, which is why I want to make sure i get it right. However, the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, when the inch was new. They sent me a solenoid, and that turned out to not be the issue so they sent me a new winch. It doesn't get used much so I'm really distraught to be having the same issue.

On another note, does anyone have any input on the new Gen II VR series winches by Warn? That may be an option at their price range, but I know the original VRs weren't great so I am hesitant.

There is a lifetime warranty on the motor parts of the winch just FYI.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
So I have a Quadratec 11000 lb winch (I'm a college student so I couldn't afford a Warn) and I am having issues with it. So far I know that the motor is shot. However, I'm trying to diagnose the solenoid and noticed that the rotor lead, and both stator leads all have the same voltage with reference to ground. I know the rotor and at least one of the stator leads should be charged, so I guess my question is, should both stator leads be charged (and both be at the same voltage)? I feel like one should be charged when winching in and the other when winching out, but I am not entirely sure.

Also, Superwinch vs Warn? for when I can afford it :thumb:

Warn over superwinch all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ZachJKUR

well this is comforting.

I finally installed the same winch after letting it sit in the closet for several years and haven't even put the line on it yet. Guess I better do it now so if it doesn't work I'll take it off before EJS.

I knew I should've gone Warn but I let the $$$ sway me :doh:
If it works, it's a good strong, quiet winch. It worked really well when it did work. (key word = "when")

Also, they told me that the motor fell under the electrical and not mechanical warranty classification. So i will have to look in to the warranty possibility there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
To answer one of your questions, VR=overseas. If/when you can afford it, get a M8000 and call it a day (or decade).

I hate reading about people with limited cash flow (you), spending their limited resources on stuff that is just crap and doesn't work. Shame on these cheap crap companies, they should replace that motor for you.

ZachJKUR

To answer one of your questions, VR=overseas. If/when you can afford it, get a M8000 and call it a day (or decade).

I hate reading about people with limited cash flow (you), spending their limited resources on stuff that is just crap and doesn't work. Shame on these cheap crap companies, they should replace that motor for you.

Would an M8000 be enough for a jku? GVWR is a little over 6000 lbs. I thought the rule of thumb was 1.5x?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Would an M8000 be enough for a jku? GVWR is a little over 6000 lbs. I thought the rule of thumb was 1.5x?

It is for me. I've pulled a few jks out of the rock gardens single line and never needed more. What are trying to winch?

ZachJKUR

It is for me. I've pulled a few jks out of the rock gardens single line and never needed more. What are trying to winch?

Mostly self-recovery. In Iowa, mostly rock gardens, but thick mud is unavoidable due to the lay of the land. I guess the mud is my concern. I guess snatchblocks are always an option.

Top Bottom