Heater core

Snowkatnc

Well after a topless beautiful evening out with my wife, I noticed a wet spot on the passenger floor board after we got back home. I did the smell test to the liquid and sure enough it's coolant. I am positive it's the heater core. Has anyone been down this road? I have roughly 160k on my 2010 jku. Some of the videos on the interweb are scary.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Well after a topless beautiful evening out with my wife, I noticed a wet spot on the passenger floor board after we got back home. I did the smell test to the liquid and sure enough it's coolant. I am positive it's the heater core. Has anyone been down this road? I have roughly 160k on my 2010 jku. Some of the videos on the interweb are scary.

I had to laugh at the way your story started out! Sorry

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

I had to laugh at the way your story started out! Sorry

Lmao. After you said something abd a second read it just got a whole lot better [emoji1] on a serious note I havnt had to deal with a heater core yet but after doing one in my ford pu this doesnt look bad at all. Still not looking forward to it. Good luck with the repair.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

jeeeep

Hooked
I opted to get the heater core replaced after helping a buddy do his, it took us over 2 weeks to get it all figured out and a lot of swearing.

the entire dash needs to be removed, it's not a one-day job.

Personally, even after taking it to a local shop to get it done if/when it goes out again I'm taking it to the dealer.

The local shop told me they had a hell of time with it and based on all the rattles and extra screws I found afterwards I'd have to agree.

I did remove the outer dash to find homes for most all the screws but even that was a PIA.

once the shop removed the original heater core, they showed me how the core that was in the Jeep did not have some additional bracing brackets that the replacement core had. Without the brackets it was allowed to move too much and the stamped fitting basically worked loose and that's where it was leaking from. the core itself still looked brand new.

if you decide to do it yourself, watch the wiring harnesses, forgetting to plug something in will ruin your day...

papa11

i watched a friend of mine try to replace his on a 2009 jk, what a pain he removed the front seats to try and get to it easier..ended up putting the seats back in and the dash back together and he decided to take it to a shop to get it fixed...i hope mine never goes out lol

JKbrick

I opted to get the heater core replaced after helping a buddy do his, it took us over 2 weeks to get it all figured out and a lot of swearing.

Personally, even after taking it to a local shop to get it done if/when it goes out again I'm taking it to the dealer.

The local shop told me they had a hell of time with it and based on all the rattles and extra screws I found afterwards I'd have to agree.

I did remove the outer dash to find homes for most all the screws but even that was a PIA.

once the shop removed the original heater core, they showed me how the core that was in the Jeep did not have some additional bracing brackets that the replacement core had. Without the brackets it was allowed to move too much and the stamped fitting basically worked loose and that's where it was leaking from. the core itself still looked brand new.

if you decide to do it yourself, watch the wiring harnesses, forgetting to plug something in will ruin your day...

That sounds like a real pia job

TRLJNKY

Wow. Thats what I get for thinking. Looked it up in alldata and it said 5.5 hrs. I honestly took a look after doing my 01 f150 and said well at least this will be easier but than again maybe not after the horror stories. I just dont understand why they had to make this shit so hard to get to. OP wish you the best

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Keithyellowjk

I did mine one weekend and yes it was the biggest pain. I said I will never do that again! Next time I will take it to a shop. I had a lot of screws left over too which is never a good thing.[emoji848]I had crap all over my driveway. One of the biggest pain in the ass things I have ever done. IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0775.jpg

Keithyellowjk

And I broke my clockspring because I didn't take the steering wheel off the dash. I am hoping that when I take it in for the recall they wont notice the thing all wrapped around in there.[emoji16]
I also broke the darn gas pedal when I laid the dash down. I was probably supposed to remove that too. Had to go to a junk yard to replace it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Good times! I had to replace the air distribution box in my KK. The dealer quoted 1,200 so I did it myself for $200.

IMG_4222.JPG

Top Bottom