Most Common Broken Parts

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok, I dont have a dropped pitman arm, thankfully. maybe Ill pull the track bar there and have the wife hold the wheel and see how much play I have there. if I do decide to just replace the shaft, anything else I should be doing while Im working there or tricks I should be aware of?

Well, before you start thinking about replacing anything, I do think you should have your wife help you to do that test and see what if anything is shifting around. I would even hold the track bar and drag link to see if you can feel it shifting. It doesn't take much of a movement to translate into a sloppy steering.

TheDuff

Well, before you start thinking about replacing anything, I do think you should have your wife help you to do that test and see what if anything is shifting around. I would even hold the track bar and drag link to see if you can feel it shifting. It doesn't take much of a movement to translate into a sloppy steering.

will do, thanks:thumb: looks like your next sector shaft replacement might be a good project-jk right up, there isn't one there yet;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
will do, thanks:thumb: looks like your next sector shaft replacement might be a good project-jk right up, there isn't one there yet;)

Honestly, if you really needed to replace your sector shaft, you might want to just look into getting a replacement steering box. I would be a lot easier and more than likely, there are other things going wrong inside too.

TheDuff

Gotcha, if the slop is in there I'll just take it into the dealer and pay the deductible then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Anybody have any opinions or experience with JKS trackbar/ sector shaft reinforcement kit? They claim to work with hydro assist as well..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody have any opinions or experience with JKS trackbar/ sector shaft reinforcement kit? They claim to work with hydro assist as well..

No, but I don't think it's really needed if you have a ram assist. We don't run anything like it and don't think it would have prevented the break we did have.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
No, but I don't think it's really needed if you have a ram assist. We don't run anything like it and don't think it would have prevented the break we did have.

Copy that. How about us non-ram assist folks. Do you think it could help prevent nastiness down the road or is it all smoke, mirrors and unicorns?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Copy that. How about us non-ram assist folks. Do you think it could help prevent nastiness down the road or is it all smoke, mirrors and unicorns?

Unless you're running a dropped pitman arm, most of the loads your sector shaft will see is a twisting force and a brace will not prevent a break from that. I should note that if you really think about it, sector shaft braces ARE NOT a common break just like axle housing breaks aren't - they're just scary to think about and fear, more than anything is what seems to drive the sale of things like sector shaft braces and even axle sleeves.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Unless you're running a dropped pitman arm, most of the loads your sector shaft will see is a twisting force and a brace will not prevent a break from that. I should note that if you really think about it, sector shaft braces ARE NOT a common break just like axle housing breaks aren't - they're just scary to think about and fear, more than anything is what seems to drive the sale of things like sector shaft braces and even axle sleeves.

That completely makes sense. Smoke mirrors and unicorns it is. Hahaha. Thanks for the insight and experience as usual sir.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
On a normal run, I just carry the tools I need to get me back off the trail. Perhaps the only spare part I carry is a sector shaft as there's no trail fix for a broken one of those.

Did you ever consider installing a Sector Shaft Brace? What is your opinion on those? I know you said that would not have likely prevented your break but just say'n.

Last edited:

bl17z90

Did you ever consider installing a Sector Shaft Brace? What is your opinion on those? I know you said that would not have likely prevented your break but just say'n.

Look at the last 3 posts before yours lol he said he doesnt see the need for the brace.

Top Bottom