THE DUSY : A Wheeling Adventure Across the Famous Dusy Ershim Jeep Trail

Heholua

Does anyone know when this video got blocked on you tube? I tried to play it and some people are claiming copyright infringement.

I guess this can only be viewed on a PC and not mobile devices.

Last edited:

fmdualexhaust

Holy Crap! After watching this, I was thinking if I had my Wrangler airlifted in there, I probably could have handled that wooden bridge with no problem.

Big Ed

This trail was started in 56, and finished in 68. They didn't work on it every year, they would skip a year or two. About 5 years ago I went through the trail with John Skadden, John joined the club in 56, and helped build the trail. His name is on the sign at the North entrance along with glen Emery, and Don Dobson. I got a lot of history of the trail from John, yes he's still around too. The trail was originally started from Badger Flat, after two years of not having anything to do with the trail building, the Forest Service went and looked, and shut down all the trails because they went through wet areas. Club members wrote their Congressmen, and got some opened back up while they rerouted the others. This is when they moved the trailhead to Kaiser Pass and reconnected with the trail leading to Ershim Lake.

The wilderness corridor was only created in 84, before that they drove to all the lakes along the way (right down near the water). There was even a trail leading over to First Dinkey Lake from North of East Lake. John also said the trail wasn't going to end at Courtright, they were going to bring it out to Wishon Reservoir. The Forest Service had them bring it out to Courtright because they knew the wilderness was coming. The Jeeps they used in the early days were M38s with 4 cylinder, T90 3 speed (2.79:1), Dana 18 (2.46:1), and Dana 25s, I think (with 5.38:1). This is a crawl ratio of 36.9:1.

WJCO

Meme King
That was an awesome video! I had never seen it before. Just noticed someone posted about it in the contest thread. Ring gear swap on the trail, how cool is that, and to film it! Who was carrying a spare ring gear, you or Mel? And how long did the repair take?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was an awesome video! I had never seen it before. Just noticed someone posted about it in the contest thread. Ring gear swap on the trail, how cool is that, and to film it! Who was carrying a spare ring gear, you or Mel? And how long did the repair take?

LOL!! We didn't have a spare, we just pulled the ring gear to alleviate the bind that was going on and prevent damage to anything else. If you do this, you NEED to make sure you overfill your axle with gear oil as there won't be anything to pump it down to the axle bearings. Anyway, I had to drive out all on my front axle only - THANK GOD we had a ProRock 60 that could take the abuse!

WJCO

Meme King
LOL!! We didn't have a spare, we just pulled the ring gear to alleviate the bind that was going on and prevent damage to anything else. If you do this, you NEED to make sure you overfill your axle with gear oil as there won't be anything to pump it down to the axle bearings. Anyway, I had to drive out all on my front axle only - THANK GOD we had a ProRock 60 that could take the abuse!

Lol! I just re-watched that part. Didn't catch that the first time. Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't carry a spare gear set :crazyeyes: . That's still amazing you guys did all that work on the trail! Good tip about the axle bearings too, I wouldn't have even thought about that. How long did it take to do that repair/gear removal?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol! I just re-watched that part. Didn't catch that the first time. Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't carry a spare gear set :crazyeyes: . That's still amazing you guys did all that work on the trail! Good tip about the axle bearings too, I wouldn't have even thought about that. How long did it take to do that repair/gear removal?

Took us about a half hour or so. Of course, that wasn't the first time we've had to do a fix like that. :crazyeyes:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just going to jump in here and say, this is one of my favorites as well!

I am also really enjoying the thread Eddie just started with everyone's Favorite videos, its cool to catch one I haven't seen in a while, almost makes it like a NEW video. :thumb:

Top Bottom