2013 King of the Hammers EVO 1 Bombing Up the Sand Hill

JAGS

Hooked
Being there is a totally different perspective of all the obstacles. Even some of the best built rigs out there would/did have severe issues and significant damage. This was one vantage and one clip of a highly skilled driver with slightly modded JK. 😉

I'm sure WOL and bleedbeat will post more from the hammers. It was amazing being there. My first time and was amazed at EVOs stuff as well as all the classes and rigs. Awesome stuff!👍

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Honestly, watching that spot all morning and the day before at the Every Man Challenge, Mel made the other drivers, that took this side of Sand Hill, look like amateurs.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
It would be cool to see the other vehicles go up that because it didn't look that hard watching Mel.

I have about 20 mins worth of other rigs and even bottle neck action uploading at the moment. I'll post up on another thread once done.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have about 20 mins worth of other rigs and even bottle neck action uploading at the moment. I'll post up on another thread once done.

Crap! I was about to try to get more than 5 hours sleep.

JAGS

Hooked
There's also a vid I took from the bottom of sand hill. Different perspective. I gave it to Eddie and Cindy to possibly use, so don't want to post myself just yet.

j3ph3ry_j33p

re:thread: 2013 King of the Hammers EVO 1 Bombing Up the Sand Hill

Goodness!
Indeed, he makes it easy to say things you don't usually get to hear about when speaking of KotH & (especially) not when the subject involves not- lightyears-from-stock Jeep JKs! Tell me what JK owner , at least once during their own build-up enthusiasm , hasn't imagined their beloved rig slammin' & ownin' its bad-@ss-self up some trail like that guy made it look easy to do? I know I have....
thanks for posting that....

1BAMFR

Typically in a stock Rubicon, you would want lockers on, 4lo and if in an auto trans to manual shift from 1st on up as needed to maintain speed and also with the overdrive button turned off.

The day before this video was taken when we were running in the stock class in the EVO TJ, the bottom of Sand Hill is exactly where we broke and the race ended for us, so we had plenty of time to see other rigs break down on the obstacle and also see how not to do it. What should be noted, in this video of EVO1 Mel actually took what is considered to be the harder of the two possible lines on that hill. He had front and rear lockers on, but he's running a 3 speed manual body Torqueflight 727 automatic transmission and an Atlas transfer case. It's not as simple as just 4hi or 4lo. He started in 2nd gear in the auto, but I don't remember what the t-case was in, and towards the top was forced to shift into 3rd to stop some of the wheel spin from the 6.1L Hemi. Hope this info helps out a little bit.

Thanks for the info.!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to ruin this thread but I will post another video of another rig in the hammer thread.

You really should as it would give perspective :yup:

There's also a vid I took from the bottom of sand hill. Different perspective. I gave it to Eddie and Cindy to possibly use, so don't want to post myself just yet.

We are making a longer video that tells the story of the EVO 1 build and we will be using your clip in it so feel free to post up your video here. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Here is another rig going up the same way Mel did. He was one of the first rigs to go up this. For those of you that were not there and can't tell from the pics, just after the guys make the little turn after the rocks it gets really sandy. This is where a lot of guys got hung up and as more and more guys went through the ruts got huge meaning its going to get harder and harder.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Watching these rigs make it up the hill give no justice to how many did not make it, or broke trying. I'll see if I have any carnage pics.

Top Bottom