Close

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

I think a few people around here are welders, so I throw this question out. If I wanted to start learning how to weld, what would you recommend? The local community college has welding classes that I've attempted to get into for the past 4 years, but personal schedule always seems to conflict. Are there youtube videos that might be recommended? What about a solid welder to start with? Any other suggestions?

I realized if I could weld and had mobile tools, I could have repaired my jeep at KOH last week and avoid limping around and driving it home in that state, which ended up not being too safe.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPo View Post
    I think a few people around here are welders, so I throw this question out. If I wanted to start learning how to weld, what would you recommend? The local community college has welding classes that I've attempted to get into for the past 4 years, but personal schedule always seems to conflict. Are there youtube videos that might be recommended? What about a solid welder to start with? Any other suggestions?

I realized if I could weld and had mobile tools, I could have repaired my jeep at KOH last week and avoid limping around and driving it home in that state, which ended up not being too safe.

TIA.
    LOL!! You were totally safe. If I thought you wouldn't be, I would have welded you up with the welder I had with me

I'm not expert at welding and but can get the job done well enough. If you can't take a class, I would get a basic mig welder and start practicing. Most welders will come with enough info on what it should be set at for the thickness of the steel you plan to work on and then the rest is just a matter of doing it enough that you become comfortable at it. Practice makes better and do it long enough will make you good at it. Of course, there are some people who are just naturals at it like Cindy

Knows a Thing or Two kaptkrappy's Avatar
    I watch the videos from these sites.

Welding-TV.com

Lincoln Electric has a YouTube channel

I picked up a mig welder at Harbor Frieght for $110.00 and just started welding on what ever metal I could find. I taught myself, look on u-tube there are some good how to video's....
    Even though I drive my JEEP through the valley of the ROCKS, I fear no BREAKS, for WAYALIFE is with me; Your JEEP and Your WINCH, they comfort me.

I bought the harbor freight special $99 mig welder a few months back. Taught myself to lay a bead and just need to practice more. I also have a book "How to Weld" by Todd Bridigum which has helped a bit. As Eddie said practice makes you better.

I was talking with Mike about this at KOH, thought you were there but I guess not. I have been trying to get into a class as well but at this point I think I would be bored in the basic class as I have welded now but I don't know enough to take the advanced.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by kaptkrappy View Post

Welding-TV.com

That's a great resource! Thanks for posting it up!

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    LOL!! You were totally safe. If I thought you wouldn't be, I would have welded you up with the welder I had with me
    hehe... well actually I had a lot of issues driving home with the Jeep jumping lanes, acceleration/down shifts when the suspension rose, it would dart left. Decelleration / up shifts, the front end dips, and the jeep darted right. I was glad I hit the blizzard on my way home as it forced me to stay at lower speed limits anyways. The Jeep is also now sagging to the side with the missing arm and the coilover coils are all twisted and out of place. I'm assuming it's all related because none of that was occurring prior to the break. It goes to the shop next week, they are going to clean up the bracket and frame then reweld with additional reinforcement and gussets. Also they are going to inspect the rest of the brackets and remedy as well. The guys knew exactly the problem with the weld, I didn't quit catch what type of weld they called it because I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment, but they said given the type of weld and lack of penetration they weren't surprised that it broke.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I'm not expert at welding and but can get the job done well enough. If you can't take a class, I would get a basic mig welder and start practicing. Most welders will come with enough info on what it should be set at for the thickness of the steel you plan to work on and then the rest is just a matter of doing it enough that you become comfortable at it. Practice makes better and do it long enough will make you good at it. Of course, there are some people who are just naturals at it like Cindy
    Thanks, would you suggest I start with a mobile welder or something that stays in my garage?

Quote Originally Posted by kaptkrappy View Post

Welding-TV.com

awesome, thanks!

It goes to the shop next week, they are going to clean up the bracket and frame then reweld with additional reinforcement and gussets. Also they are going to inspect the rest of the brackets and remedy as well. The guys knew exactly the problem with the weld, I didn't quit catch what type of weld they called it because I was in a hurry to make it to an appointment, but they said given the type of weld and lack of penetration they weren't surprised that it broke.
    I like the guys at that shop. Glad you were able to get it in so soon. They normally have a 2-3 week waiting period. Looks like Knuckles is going to have company down there.

Thanks, would you suggest I start with a mobile welder or something that stays in my garage?
    I was wondering this too. I was leaning toward a mobile one just to have the option. But I'm curious what the downside would be.

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post

I was wondering this too. I was leaning toward a mobile one just to have the option. But I'm curious what the downside would be.
    Price. Mobile welders are expensive especially if its a learning tool. If you decide you don't like it its a lot of money to throw away. And you would have to have your rig right there in order to use it.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

hehe... well actually I had a lot of issues driving home with the Jeep jumping lanes, acceleration/down shifts when the suspension rose, it would dart left. Decelleration / up shifts, the front end dips, and the jeep darted right. I was glad I hit the blizzard on my way home as it forced me to stay at lower speed limits anyways. The Jeep is also now sagging to the side with the missing arm and the coilover coils are all twisted and out of place. I'm assuming it's all related because none of that was occurring prior to the break.
    Hmmm, if that is true, there are other things you really should be looking at as missing one control arm shouldn't have resulted in what you were experiencing. Could be you have a blown joint on one of the other links or maybe the lowers aren't set a bit off.

You can use a mobile welder but if you, try to get one that doesn't need to be hooked up to your batteries. Also, try to get one that will allow you to run gas as opposed to just flux core. It'll help you to have cleaner welds and in my opinion, make learning easier. On the trail, using flux alone will be fine.