Garage Door Opener Mod

Sporadic

Greetings Wayalifers,

Some of you asked in the "What was Done To Your Rig This Week" thread about my garage door opener mod. The purpose of this mod for me was to hide my garage door opener so that if you park your rig outside it is not as noticeable especially for those of us who run topless and doorless for most of the year.

I am posting this write up as a guide to help you guys do this mod if you choose to. I am no electrician and as you can see by my primitive soldering skills I like things to be functional not always pretty.

Hope some of you find this useful. Cheers!

Frank

Frank,

I've had this on my list ever since I ran across your write-up. Thank you for putting this out there for the rest of us!

I installed my switch on the same panel as the 115v power source. Once the panel is removed, you gain access to the dead space in between the middle console walls. This is where I dropped the garage door opener so it remains hidden.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381709.629222.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381750.826886.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381774.328059.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381798.496010.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381818.211744.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381842.011992.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391381863.044077.jpg

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Frank,

I've had this on my list ever since I ran across your write-up. Thank you for putting this out there for the rest of us!

I installed my switch on the same panel as the 115v power source. Once the panel is removed, you gain access to the dead space in between the middle console walls. This is where I dropped the garage door opener so it remains hidden.

View attachment 67312

Looks really great thanks for sharing! I like this idea. How is the signal strength? This may be the best option for the 11+ JKs as long as the signal is strong.

Sporadic

Looks really great thanks for sharing! I like this idea. How is the signal strength? This may be the best option for the 11+ JKs as long as the signal is strong.

Thanks Frank! So far, the signal strength seems unchanged but ill report back after a little more use.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Great idea frank never thought of t
Putting there. Nice write up:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pastorwug

So, working off Frank's idea to hardwire a dash switch into his garage door opener he sent me a switch and my ideas started to flow.
I live in a gated community (where else would a guy that only works 1 day a week live?) and I have a two switch remote that runs off of one of those 3v disk batteries that die rather quickly.
I went on line to find a stepdown transformer (of sorts) that would take 12v to 3v so I could hardwire the power source for the remotes as well as the two switches.
I bought this kit out of Hong Kong for $13 and put it together per instructions:
IMG_0542.jpg
I was a variable step-down that would change 12v to a few different DC voltages. I built it and tested it the same day Frank texted me to see how it was going.
The result was a bit explosive:
IMG_0543.jpg
A catastrophic failure - back to the drawing board.
I found another step-down out of China this time that was pre-figured for 12v to 3v - $9.00
When it came I tested it and a reliable 3v came from the leads.
So here's what I put together:
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg
I used doorbell solid-core wire instead of a regular low gauge wire because it was easier to solder onto the back of the remote circuit board.
Everything works great now and I'm more like Frank - well actually a little better in this case.

IMG_0551.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 260

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Great work PastorWug. Thanks for the reply. One question though, which switched power source did you use? Cigarette lighter?

pastorwug

Great work PastorWug. Thanks for the reply. One question though, which switched power source did you use? Cigarette lighter?

No, I went over to a switched 12v source that was left over from my recent radio install.
Thanks for the great idea Frank! :clap2:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
No, I went over to a switched 12v source that was left over from my recent radio install.
Thanks for the great idea Frank! :clap2:
You sir, are welcome.

Sweet. I will be doing this "update" soon as well. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig :cheesy: :thumb:

fatboy1271

Awesome!

Thanks!!! My wife bought me a key chain opener and it worked great... for about 2 months. Now it only works if I am directly under the opener. I'm tired of using the panel on the outside of the garage so I think this is the route for me to take! Really appreciate the write-up.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks!!! My wife bought me a key chain opener and it worked great... for about 2 months. Now it only works if I am directly under the opener. I'm tired of using the panel on the outside of the garage so I think this is the route for me to take! Really appreciate the write-up.

I hope too find it useful. Let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

pastorwug

IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg

I have a 12v to 9v converter I bought to hardwire my Garage Door opener - but it turned out my opener remote was 3v, which I then purchased and installed and it works great.
I don't need this voltage drop any more.
If you're thinking of doing this mod check your remote conrtrol and if it is 9v then you can have this free.
Just PM me - and once again my WAL friends always come first, so if none of them want it then you can have it for shipping alone which would probably be about $5 with USPS.

Let me know via PM.

cheers!

David1tontj

View attachment 82202
View attachment 82203

I have a 12v to 9v converter I bought to hardwire my Garage Door opener - but it turned out my opener remote was 3v, which I then purchased and installed and it works great.
I don't need this voltage drop any more.
If you're thinking of doing this mod check your remote conrtrol and if it is 9v then you can have this free.
Just PM me - and once again my WAL friends always come first, so if none of them want it then you can have it for shipping alone which would probably be about $5 with USPS.

Let me know via PM.

cheers!

Dibs!!! A long as it's still available of coarse.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

pastorwug

Dibs!!! A long as it's still available of coarse.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

You got it!
Just PM me your full name and address and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom