Jeep JK Wrangler Rear Axle Shaft Removal & Installation Write-Up

Roxy 12

Rear axle replacement went wrong!

Great write up,

I'm a noobie to wayalife, but not the jeep community, I have a 2012 JKU Sport. I have bent the right axle flange and have ordered and received my new replacement axles. My question is after pressing on the bearings, I assembled the new axle into the diff housing. I think here's where I made the mistake, I put red loctite on the castle nuts(do to taking them off already), I think it dried up on the threads before I had the axle secure to the diff housing. The studs on the reatainer stripped out and did not make for a fun evening:banghead:.

My question is, was it the locite or did I not have the bearing and sleeve pressed all the way down? I didn't have a gauge on the hydraulic press I was using but I definitely had a lot of pressure on them and they were not budging. I do not want this to happen again.

I look forward to some feedback

Big E

Roxy 12

Update to Rear Axle Replacement gone wrong!

It was the locite:doh:, new axles are in and Jeep is back on the road!:thumb:

Big E

mcsjk

Used this write-up last week to replace my wheel bearing. Thanks for doing an awesome job Eddie!

GuillaumeC91

This article has indeed proved very helpful and most of all, gave me the confidence to tackle this on my own. Thank you! :beer:

Great write up, always come here first when needing help.

I started here as I need to replace a leaky driver side seal, not so much the entire shaft at this point in time. Plan to remove and have new bearing ect pressed on at a machine shop.

In step 9 the bearing race is removed from the axle tube. Does the replacement of this race happen when the new bearing assembly is installed into the axle housing?

Meaning the new race is part of the new bearings, and when assembly takes place (4 bolts on housing) this presses the entire assembly home and into place.

The act of shaft removal leaves behind the old previous race.

Any sense on the need of a thin coat of RTV on were the race interfaces with the inside of the axle tube?

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In step 9 the bearing race is removed from the axle tube. Does the replacement of this race happen when the new bearing assembly is installed into the axle housing?

If you get your new axle with the bearings pressed on, it will have a new race on it.

Meaning the new race is part of the new bearings, and when assembly takes place (4 bolts on housing) this presses the entire assembly home and into place.

The act of shaft removal leaves behind the old previous race.

Yes.

Any sense on the need of a thin coat of RTV on were the race interfaces with the inside of the axle tube?

No.

^^Thanks Eddie for the quick response, and for clearing up those few questions I had.

It's great constantly learning about our jeeps!

aro

Does the rear axle shaft come out without removing the dust shield in a 2015 JK? I'm not trying to replace it, just pull it out about 5" so that I can take out the differential assembly. I'll push it back in once I'm done.

I got to the point where I can pull it out about 1"-2", but then it kinda gets stuck. It's not a hard stop, it's as if something softer is keeping it in place. I don't know if I should pull harder, or if there is anything else connected that keeps it in. Thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
Does the rear axle shaft come out without removing the dust shield in a 2015 JK? I'm not trying to replace it, just pull it out about 5" so that I can take out the differential assembly. I'll push it back in once I'm done.

I got to the point where I can pull it out about 1"-2", but then it kinda gets stuck. It's not a hard stop, it's as if something softer is keeping it in place. I don't know if I should pull harder, or if there is anything else connected that keeps it in. Thanks.

If it's the same as any other D44 axle, sometimes you have to use a slide hammer to get it out, but as long as you've loosened the retaining bolts, I don't know of anything else that would be holding it.

aro

If it's the same as any other D44 axle, sometimes you have to use a slide hammer to get it out, but as long as you've loosened the retaining bolts, I don't know of anything else that would be holding it.

Thanks. It's strange... it's definitely loose since I can pull it out a couple of inches... but it feels like there is a soft stop after that. I didn't want to use force, but I guess I'll just pull harder.

aro

Yeah, this thread is Eddie's write-up :)

I was convinced the dust shield doesn't have to come out, but now that it's kinda stuck, I don't know anymore...

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, this thread is Eddie's write-up :)

I was convinced the dust shield doesn't have to come out, but now that it's kinda stuck, I don't know anymore...

Maybe try a couple hits with a slide hammer if you have one. If that doesn't progress, pull the dust shield everything with it. Are you changing gears or putting a locker in?

aro

I'm putting in a locker.

The stupid thing is that I have to work in my garage, which is a one car garage. HOA doesn't allow any work outside. I don't think I can fit in a slide hammer due to lack of space on the sides. What I did to get the axle shafts loose was to put in the rotor, but backwards. I tightened the bolts loosely and I used the rotor as a slide hammer. Since it's a new Jeep in dry SoCal, the shafts came loose right away. I could use the same method to pull them out some more, IF I can be sure that nothing else keeps them in place.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm putting in a locker.

The stupid thing is that I have to work in my garage, which is a one car garage. HOA doesn't allow any work outside. I don't think I can fit in a slide hammer due to lack of space on the sides. What I did to get the axle shafts loose was to put in the rotor, but backwards. I tightened the bolts loosely and I used the rotor as a slide hammer. Since it's a new Jeep in dry SoCal, the shafts came loose right away. I could use the same method to pull them out some more, IF I can be sure that nothing else keeps them in place.

That's what I would do. Just throw the rotor back on like you did before and give it a couple good pulls

burchis

Axle Tube Seals-??

I am reviewing the steps needed to install air lockers and found this very helpful forum. From another forum I read that care must be taken not to damage the axle tube seals when pulling out and replacing the axle shaft. However I don't recall if that information was relevant to my Jeep JK or some other vehicle. So my question is, does the 2011 Jeep JK have an axle seal that could get damaged if not careful. And if yes can anyone offer any hints about this issue?

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The stupid thing is that I have to work in my garage, which is a one car garage. HOA doesn't allow any work outside.

And this is the biggest reason why we moved out of the OC. :yup:

That's what I would do. Just throw the rotor back on like you did before and give it a couple good pulls

This ^^^^

I am reviewing the steps needed to install air lockers and found this very helpful forum. From another forum I read that care must be taken not to damage the axle tube seals when pulling out and replacing the axle shaft. However I don't recall if that information was relevant to my Jeep JK or some other vehicle. So my question is, does the 2011 Jeep JK have an axle seal that could get damaged if not careful. And if yes can anyone offer any hints about this issue?

Thanks

LOL!! Don't know what "other forum" you are referring to but just be smart about what you're doing and don't man-handle your axle shafts when you pull and reinstall them and you'll be fine. If you just roughly shove it back it, the end of the shaft can catch on the seal and knock it out of place or the splines can potentially damage the seal. Just take your time and be gentile.

aro

Thank you everybody, and I apologize for the slight derail of the thread. I should have posted this in a new thread...

I disconnected the e-brake (duh) and I was able to pull out the shafts a little more, with the dust shield. My differential assembly is now out. Now I realize I don't have anything to keep the assembly in place while I try to loosen the ring gear bolts. Only a woodwork vise. Maybe I'll get an impact, and hopefully that will work. Oh, well, fun stuff...

Yeah, Eddie, I hear you... HOA's are crazy around here. Every way you turn, there's an HOA. Fees and restrictions always go up. I have an outdoor parking spot in a cul-de-sac, away from the street, quite private, plenty of space... but, no... not allowed...

Top Bottom