Lift or accessories ??

bl17z90

You need coilovers and 37's otherwise you are jus another overlander :yep:

I'm just kidding. The first 2 times i webt out i was on just a 2.5 inch coil lift....w8 i still am :thinking:

Bigfoot

Currently I am running the Rubicon stock suspension but since I want to run 35" tires I did a ton of research on all different kinds of 2.5" lifts from Budget Boosts (BB) to full kits including new coils and shocks.

My conclusion is why throw something away that still works pretty well and handles great? Why replace a fully functional suspension with a new one just to gain a minor lift? All I actually need for the 35" tires is more clearance and this is why I will settle with a 2.5" Budget Boost. The price tag for a decent BB with spacers, bumpstops, rear trackbar bracket, rear swaybar links and brakeline ext. hardware is about $350 and I feel comfortable with doing the install myself. Yes, I will have to buy some tools but they will be mine forever and I can learn more about my Jeep. Moreover the cost for the tools is still below the labor cost of having it installed in a shop.

I am in the same boat as you. I have bought my Wrangler earlier this year and I am also in the process of spending a lot of money on all those nice to have accessories. Choosing a budget boost over a full blown suspension kit will help you save a lot of money for all the other stuff that you want to throw on your Jeep. Like I said if you like the ride quality of you current suspension and if there is no obvious reason to replace your coils or shocks then it seems just wrong to me to swap everything out.

SPIELUHR

Thank you everybody for your imput :thumb:. Ive put some thought into it and I think im going to go with rock sliders first probably the SRC's cuz they are resonably priced and bolt on. I also believe im going to get a BB first between 2-3" I was looking at a couple diff ones whats everyones opinion on the rubicon express BB ??

JKBANDIT55

Thank you everybody for your imput :thumb:. Ive put some thought into it and I think im going to go with rock sliders first probably the SRC's cuz they are resonably priced and bolt on. I also believe im going to get a BB first between 2-3" I was looking at a couple diff ones whats everyones opinion on the rubicon express BB ??

Honestly, 370$ is way too much for 4 rubber spacers and normal non gas shocks. You can buy 2" spacers for 20$ a piece from your local off road shop and a set of decent shocks for abot 230$...

If its just a budget boost, I dont think it matters too much on quality as they are all offering the same thing, just rubber spacers to go on your stock coils. Its when you get a lift with coils that your going to want to get a quality lift as differen't brand coils are going to produce different flex, ride, and off road performance.

Here is a link to a cheaper Budget boost that is going to perfrom the same as any other. No need for bump stops with this because the shocks have a limiter. And yes they do work. Myself along with others I wheel with run RC lifts and the shocks work well with the bump stops built in the shock.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.php

Also, for the same price as most budget boosts, you can get their 2.5" coil lift. I am running this exact lift with 35s. Great flex, a little stiffer ride but not much, been running this for a year with zero problems. I ran it for about 8 months without extended break lines and had 0 issues. Even after full flex lots and lots of times. I just added the break lines because I threw on 1" coil spacers to gain more lift without rubbing.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.php

But your money and its up to you. Only you can make yourself happy with what you get!!! Just letting you know there are lots of options. A lot of people run the teraflex BB and they love them. Check that one out too.

Good luck man:yup:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That's what I would recommend for sure, rocker guards and then go from there :yup:

Honestly, 370$ is way too much for 4 rubber spacers and normal non gas shocks. You can buy 2" spacers for 20$ a piece from your local off road shop and a set of decent shocks for abot 230$...

If its just a budget boost, I dont think it matters too much on quality as they are all offering the same thing, just rubber spacers to go on your stock coils. Its when you get a lift with coils that your going to want to get a quality lift as differen't brand coils are going to produce different flex, ride, and off road performance.

Agreed, a budget boost is for the most part a budget boost but, rather than get a kit with a set of old school hydro shocks, I personally would opt to get shock extensions instead.

Here is a link to a cheaper Budget boost that is going to perfrom the same as any other. No need for bump stops with this because the shocks have a limiter. And yes they do work. Myself along with others I wheel with run RC lifts and the shocks work well with the bump stops built in the shock.

Just to correct what you're saying, the limiter that comes on these shocks are just that, limiters and NOT bump stop extensions. While you can get by with running this setup, these limiter should not be confused with true bump stop extensions that would among other things, help prevent the over compression of your coils. Also, I too have installed and tested out this exact kit and if it were me, I personally would still prefer to run factory shocks with extensions over these shocks.

Also, for the same price as most budget boosts, you can get their 2.5" coil lift. I am running this exact lift with 35s. Great flex, a little stiffer ride but not much, been running this for a year with zero problems. I ran it for about 8 months without extended break lines and had 0 issues. Even after full flex lots and lots of times. I just added the break lines because I threw on 1" coil spacers to gain more lift without rubbing.

Like you, I found the 2.5" coil lift to ride on the stiff side and didn't care for it. Of course, ride quality is totally subjective and so some may prefer it that way.

Bigfoot

I am a little confused. It looks like the RC kit with coils and shocks does not come with any relocation brackets and brake line extensions. And the RC kit with coils only does come with the relocation brackets and brake line extensions but without shock extensions.

Especially the RC kit with coils and shocks looks incomplete to me (as a noob). Is it still OK to run such a kit without any further hardware? RC doesn't even seem to offer the relocation brackets and brake line extensions separately.

bl17z90

I have never ran a budget boost I just went straight to 2.5 coils. But based on what I have read and what not from others here and people I know I would not recommend a RC lift of any kind because they always seem to ride very rough and are cheaply made. Now if you are alright with that than power to you but I have heard nothing but good things about the Terraflex bb.

Ben-0

So ever since I got my JK ive started doing little things to it to make it more " custom ". I have big plans for it but have a budget but as most of you know once you start upgrading you just can stop lol. Ive been getting little things here and there to just be doing something to it and when I didnt have money what did I do . . . cut up my flares, and found used tires at work that were bigger then what I had stock. So my question is ( I prolly know the answer im going to get ) would it be better to just torture myself and save for the lift ( which will probably take awhile cuz I want to go all out the first time rather then buying budget lifts ) or get all or most of my little things out of the way first. ex. flares, KC lights, wheels, rock sliders ? any advice is appreciated just want to know the approach you guys took :yup:

Ya I'd do the little things first like trail armor, recovery gear, bumpers and such. Then save up for the lift and tires to fit the lift along with the right gearing then lockers :) haha

Top Bottom