Manual transmission water crossing

mtnbiker995

Where would I find this tranny breather tube? And how would I extend it? Also is there breather tubes for the axles?

Yes there are, and Eddie has a nice write up on relocating the rear breather after lifting your jeep. You can follow his process but just add a longer length of hose and run it somewhere dry. That's what I did!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370881814.815399.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370881833.316602.jpg

Renagade119

Awesome thanks. And for the rubber boot for the clutch, did jeeps come standard with those or do I have to buy one aftermarket?

tbones999

If you get stuck don't clutch. Stall it or shut it off. In 4 low you don't need the clutch to start the engine. You can put it in the gear, no clutch, and start it and you will start to move. Try this on dry ground first to see what that is like if you have never done this.

A little off topic, but this got me home the other day.

I am at a stop light, construction zone = heavy traffic, in my 1980 CJ7. I hear a Pop followed by a Clang. The adjustable bar in the clutch linkage failed (pop), then the clutch pedal fell to the floor (clang). I have the Jeep in neutral and now the clutch is permanently engaged. (Thinking about it now, if I was in first the Jeep probably would've lunged forward possibly hitting the person in front of me if it didn't stall. whew) So now the engine is running and I have no way to disengage the clutch to get it in gear.

I had my 18 month old in the back. I am a little self conscious about taking him for rides in it, but he loves it. (I taught him "what does a Jeep say?" when we taught him animal sounds. He knows lion, dog, cat, sheep, elephant, bird, and Jeep. The Jeep is a Tim Allen-esque grunt.) He always points to it and grunts when he sees it. In fact, I am not allowed to park in front of the house because he just constantly points out our window and grunts. :) I never go far or fast when he is in the Jeep, he is in his car seat, and I replaced the seat belts that hold his seat in, so I figure a quick ride to the park can't hurt. Back to the story, I definitely didn't want to pull my 18 month old out of my old Jeep on this busy highway when the tow truck arrives.

I remembered reading the "start your Jeep in 4L" trick when I was first researching buying my CJ. (Not supposed to run 4-wheel on dry pavement, but my front hubs were un-locked and I needed to get home.) So, I turn off the Jeep and push the transfer case into 4L. (Went right in, normally I have to just barely let the clutch out to get it to engage. Definitely a guardian angel.) When the light turned green I turned the key, and sure enough, the Jeep hopped forward, fired up, and we were crawling along. With the adrenaline flowing, I stepped on the gas pedal a bit too hard, squeaked the tires, and then let off. The old leaf springs made that a fun experience. The light turned Red and I shut the Jeep off. "Grunt grunt" from the back seat, and I burst out laughing. I asked the person next to me if I could cut in front of him because my Jeep had broke and I needed to get off the hwy. We crawled home (about 12 blocks).

Not only will that tip get you out of a mud hole and help you when crawling, but you can get your Jeep to move when your clutch linkage breaks!

firecrew1

A little off topic, but this got me home the other day.

I am at a stop light, construction zone = heavy traffic, in my 1980 CJ7. I hear a Pop followed by a Clang. The adjustable bar in the clutch linkage failed (pop), then the clutch pedal fell to the floor (clang). I have the Jeep in neutral and now the clutch is permanently engaged. (Thinking about it now, if I was in first the Jeep probably would've lunged forward possibly hitting the person in front of me if it didn't stall. whew) So now the engine is running and I have no way to disengage the clutch to get it in gear.

I had my 18 month old in the back. I am a little self conscious about taking him for rides in it, but he loves it. (I taught him "what does a Jeep say?" when we taught him animal sounds. He knows lion, dog, cat, sheep, elephant, bird, and Jeep. The Jeep is a Tim Allen-esque grunt.) He always points to it and grunts when he sees it. In fact, I am not allowed to park in front of the house because he just constantly points out our window and grunts. :) I never go far or fast when he is in the Jeep, he is in his car seat, and I replaced the seat belts that hold his seat in, so I figure a quick ride to the park can't hurt. Back to the story, I definitely didn't want to pull my 18 month old out of my old Jeep on this busy highway when the tow truck arrives.

I remembered reading the "start your Jeep in 4L" trick when I was first researching buying my CJ. (Not supposed to run 4-wheel on dry pavement, but my front hubs were un-locked and I needed to get home.) So, I turn off the Jeep and push the transfer case into 4L. (Went right in, normally I have to just barely let the clutch out to get it to engage. Definitely a guardian angel.) When the light turned green I turned the key, and sure enough, the Jeep hopped forward, fired up, and we were crawling along. With the adrenaline flowing, I stepped on the gas pedal a bit too hard, squeaked the tires, and then let off. The old leaf springs made that a fun experience. The light turned Red and I shut the Jeep off. "Grunt grunt" from the back seat, and I burst out laughing. I asked the person next to me if I could cut in front of him because my Jeep had broke and I needed to get off the hwy. We crawled home (about 12 blocks).

Not only will that tip get you out of a mud hole and help you when crawling, but you can get your Jeep to move when your clutch linkage breaks!
Thats to bad about the linkage, but thats awesome that you have a future jeeper in your household:thumb:

fredfunk

Hmm... I'm a little confused by conflicting information here...

So on the one hand, I should not engage the clutch when the fork is submerged, instead I should turn the engine off and put it in 1st gear (or reverse?) then restart the engine so as to avoid getting water/sand/mud in the clutch... But on the other hand, I should never start the engine when the muffler is submerged so as to avoid sucking up water into the exhaust due to compression and possibly hydrolocking the engine?!

Last edited:
You should try to avoid clutching under water... If your in 4L, 1st/2nd it's not likely you will stall. If you do I would suggest being pulled/towed out and only restart once the tail-pipe is out of the water. In the few instances I have been around for this, I towed them out and we left the rig a little nose high on the bank to help any water drain out of the exhaust before restarting.

The 4L restart in gear is better used when climbing hills or crawling in my opinion than a water aid. Keep in mind in 4L you can shift without clutching. (I do it all the time) only had a grind once and it was cuz I was still in the gas too much.

All this said I try to avoid crossing water that covers the tires. (This is a good rule-of-thumb to keep the vents in air)

fredfunk

thanks bird...
I have extended all my breathers and I've got a snorkel. I have started it up with the exhaust submerged with no problems but I will try to avoid it in the future. I have also punched the clutch when submerged with no problems. I have to do some major puddle jumping to get to some property I own off an unmaintained rd. Some of the puddles are 3' deep during the rainy season!

Top Bottom