Welding on the trail

matt1171

I know several guys carry welders with them in their rigs when on the trail. My question is, what style welder is best for that and how do you power them?

Thanks for the help.

FrankenJeeper

jumper cables and a few welding sticks :thumb:. It isn't pretty when your done but it will get you home :yup:.

That's exactly what we do. Gloves, hood, jumper cables and a handful of 309 stainless rods and 7018's

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000

I do not carry one. My friend has one that sits under the hood of his JK. cool stick welder for sure. There are others such as mig that can be charge and ready when needed. I think Eddie (Wayalife) has that type.

I like the stick welder because if you crack your trans it t-case you can break out a stick for aluminum and go to town. However. The mig welders are much easier to use on the trail.

CRAZYCASEY

We used dreamcatcher's welder twice last week on the trail. Not sure what brand of wire feed welder it was but it worked great. It requires two batteries to power it. It seemed to work as good or better then my 125hd I use at the house. Hopefully he can chime in and let you know more about it.

Attachments

• image-187855030.jpg
    image-187855030.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 182
  • image-1636797106.jpg
    image-1636797106.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 180
  • image-173157785.jpg
    image-173157785.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 183

Dreamcatcher

It is just a Ready Welder and uses two batteries for power and they must be disconnected from the rigs and hooked up in series with the cables that come with the unit. You are then welding with 24 volt system and can weld 3/8. It even comes with a gas setup if you want to get fancy or use it at home. I just run .035 flux core on the trail and have a cart with two 12 volt batteries on a tender for home use. With one 12 volt battery you can weld light stuff like sheet metal.

They are pricey and seldom seen for sale used but I got lucky and found a new/used one for $250 but it took a lot of looking. I always carry it, really like it and have had no trouble with it....:standing wave:

Dixon4x4

Does it matter what size the jumper cables are? ( WireGauge ) & will one battery will be enough?

Heavier the better and you want at least two heavy duty batteries to make 24volts or more, 3 batteries are better.

09 JKU

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I've always been a fan of both the ready welder and also the premier power welder. The ready welder is a portable mig gun. The premier welder is an onboard system that is mounted under the hood and uses a H.O. alternator. The premier system can be used as a arc welder mig welder or tig. It can charge batteries and also has a 110v 20A outlet to run power tools.

Dixon4x4

That's dreaming awesome! I never knew that was possible! How do you hook up all three batteries?

To connect them in a series you connect the positive from the first battery to the negative of the second battery, this will give you 24 volts. You can connect a third battery to get 36 volts. Use the negative from the first battery as your ground and the positive from the last as your welding lead.

If you connect the negatives together and the positives together (parallel) you will increase the amps.

If you use this as a welder on the trail just make sure all batteries are disconnected from the vehicles and of course that you have at least one battery to start your vehicle.

09 JKU

JKBANDIT55

Thanks! This comes in handy just to carry around some 7018 welding rod and extra jumper cables as you will never know!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Old thread resurrection. Any one have experience with the Premier Power Welding setup or another like it. I have all the things necessary to weld with dual batteries, but I want to get something that is more turn key and easy to use on the trail.

Top Bottom