Welcome to the WAYALIFE.com : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life!.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help

Fresh Catch

Need some help

I am finally going to be lifting and getting new shoes on my jeep. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you might be able to answer.

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara 3.21 gears. This is my daily driver all freeway. I am going to do some light offloading, nothing to extreme. Will be installing a 3.5" rubicon Express with Pro Comp 7005 17"x9" and either 35/70/17 Duratracs, Trail Grappler 35"or Open County M/T 35" .

1. Will I need to regear with any of the tire options? Should I regear? Good local - North Orange County shop.
    2. Will I need to change tire carrier?
    3. Anyone have experience with this carrier? http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm

Thanks in Advance

Been Around the Block
    So if you go with Duratracs, that's less of a chance you'll need to re gear as the nittos and Toyos are as heavy in a 35" as most 37s. Duratracs weigh 64 lbs in a 35" and nittos weight 79 lbs. the less weight your motor is pushing the lease chance you'll want to re gear.

I have the duratracs and love them. Haven't heard one negative comment about them.

Also when lifting higher than 3" your going to need a new drive shaft sooner than later.

And hopefully your lift comes with all the other things needed to lift that high.

2.5" is really ideal for 35s and you don't need much else other than lift shocks, extended break lines to run this set up. I been running it for a year with no issues.

And yes you will need a new tire carrier. Although I've heard people shove a wheel spacer on it and the tire fits. Also seen a guy that put washers on the bolts enough to push is tire out enough for it to work.

Good luck. I'm sure more people will chime in with more info.
    2012 JKUS|KNUCKLES OFF ROAD|POISON SPYDER|JKS|AFE|ROUGH COUNTRY|37" MTRKs|TERAFLEX|
    Instagram- JKBANDIT55

Caught the Bug

Need some help

Quote Originally Posted by ljespinoza View Post
    I am finally going to be lifting and getting new shoes on my jeep. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you might be able to answer.

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara 3.21 gears. This is my daily driver all freeway. I am going to do some light offloading, nothing to extreme. Will be installing a 3.5" rubicon Express with Pro Comp 7005 17"x9" and either 35/70/17 Duratracs, Trail Grappler 35"or Open County M/T 35" .

1. Will I need to regear with any of the tire options? Should I regear? Good local - North Orange County shop.
    3. Anyone have experience with this carrier? http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm

Thanks in Advance
    I had 285/75/16 Duratrac's and loved them. I recently switched to 315/75/16 Nitto Mud Grapplers, and have not really noticed any difference in power loss. Like JKBandit said I would only go with a 2.5" lift for 35's, especially if you are only going to do light off road. I would also suggest re-gearing to 4:10's or 4:56's. I run 4:56's and get close to factory fuel Millage and can run 75-80 mph on the highway with no problem.

09 JKU
    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    09 JKU

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon4x4 View Post

I had 285/75/16 Duratrac's and loved them. I recently switched to 315/75/16 Nitto Mud Grapplers, and have not really noticed any difference in power loss. Like JKBandit said I would only go with a 2.5" lift for 35's, especially if you are only going to do light off road. I would also suggest re-gearing to 4:10's or 4:56's. I run 4:56's and get close to factory fuel Millage and can run 75-80 mph on the highway with no problem.

09 JKU
    He is running the new 3.6L engine in his 2012. Might be a good idea to see if a re gear is needed with 3.21s and the 285hp. I'm running 3.73s with my 35s and it still has more than enough power.

But ya in my old 07 Jk. With 35s and 4.10s it felt real sluggish.
    2012 JKUS|KNUCKLES OFF ROAD|POISON SPYDER|JKS|AFE|ROUGH COUNTRY|37" MTRKs|TERAFLEX|
    Instagram- JKBANDIT55

Old Timer

Need some help

When it comes to something like a tire carrier i would stay away from smittybuilt
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Evo Sliders, gussets, and control arm skids
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by bl17z90 View Post
    When it comes to something like a tire carrier i would stay away from smittybuilt
    Why would you say this. I have a buddy that put one on his jeep. The carrier does what it was designed to do. He seems to like it. Unless there is something about this carrier I don't know. I say it's a good alternative for those that want it. And if there is something wrong with this carrier, please provide us that information. It can help those looking to purchase it with factual info.
    2008 X

Quote Originally Posted by ljespinoza View Post

Thanks in Advance
    1. Regear will be subjective from person to person but you may want to regear with such a low gear. If you plan to go with bigger tires in the future then I might go with a gear aimed more toward that. A 4.88 would be best though as the 5.13 in a D30 has a really small pinion. And I think OffRoad Evolution runs that $999 gear special all year.

2. You won't need to change the tire carrier from the stock one but just be smart about it. If you plan to offroad your jeep in a lot of hilly sections where the tire might be able to catch then take off the spare. Check it regularly to make sure its not bending the tailgate as well.

3. I have no experience with it but I would rather save my money and use the stock carrier until you could afford something a little better.
    1987 Toyota 4 Runner

Caught the Bug

Need some help

Quote Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55 View Post
    He is running the new 3.6L engine in his 2012. Might be a good idea to see if a re gear is needed with 3.21s and the 285hp. I'm running 3.73s with my 35s and it still has more than enough power.

But ya in my old 07 Jk. With 35s and 4.10s it felt real sluggish.
    True that the 3.6 may still have plenty of power with 3:73's, but running 35's with the factory 3:21's he will most likely notice a big drop in fuel economy and a re-gear will help get some of that back.

09 JKU
    09 JKU

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Serg5000 View Post
    Why would you say this. I have a buddy that put one on his jeep. The carrier does what it was designed to do. He seems to like it. Unless there is something about this carrier I don't know. I say it's a good alternative for those that want it. And if there is something wrong with this carrier, please provide us that information. It can help those looking to purchase it with factual info.
    The guys that I've known to have one had all kinds of issues with getting it installed. Holes didn't line up, latch didn't work properly, etc. On the trail, I have seen the rocks get the better of them.

Been Around the Block
    A 35" tire will NOT fit on the stock tire carrier of the 2012 an up JKs...
    Instagram- JKBANDIT55