MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler NV-241 / NV-241OR Transfer Case Service

JLSilerJK

Got it in with original bolt! This is a guess but I dont think anyone has ever taught my jeep to wash in dark crevises or behind his ears. I got about a golf ball size mound of dirt rocks and sand out of the top of the nut area... cleaned the heck out of it with WD-40 and an old toothbrush; the bolt turned in by hand.

crowrb29

Is it okay to use the same bottle pump you used for the trans to do the t case?

Last edited:

j3fflan3

Very simple!

I bought a new torque wrench and tested the torque on the bolts before I removed them: 48 ft.lbs. for the skid plate, 15 ft.lbs. for the fill and drain plug on my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Moab (the same as the torque in the link posted in the comments). I bought a marine gear oil pump from Walmart (looks similar to the example) and it worked fantastic. Thanks so much for the instructions!

Cheers! :beer:

~Jeff

WJCO

Meme King
That came out of your transfer case drain hole? Not normal. I've seen small pieces of rtv come out, but nothing like that before.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the write-up, Eddie. We just did ours. I would have been stubborn and not removed the skid plate had I not seen this write-up. I doubt it would have gone as smooth and pulling the skid plate only took about 30 seconds. :thumb:

RonG

Nice write-up... thanks.

Rather than wrestling the transmission skid plate by myself, I only removed the two rear bolts and the left front bolt. After loosening the right front bolt, I was able to spin it to the right and out of the way. When I was done, all I had to do was spin it back into place and replace the bolts. Much easier.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Just realized its time for me to do this while posting in another thread. This write up will help out a lot thanks!

Van

I'm sure this was never done on mine before I got it, so this came in handy. DONE! Thanks Eddie!

stevek

Just finished changing mine. It was so easy thanks to these instructions. Can't believe my dealer wanted $120 to do it.

I used my jack to told up the skid plate while I put the the bolts back in. Made it much easier

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
IMG_9234.JPG

IMG_9247.JPG

Just did mine . My photo on top compared to Eddies . What’s that rusted circular piece in the photo that isn’t in mine ? Curious as to why I don’t have it on my 2015 Jkur

Thanks for the write up . Was easy to do .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just did mine . My photo on top compared to Eddies . What’s that rusted circular piece in the photo that isn’t in mine ? Curious as to why I don’t have it on my 2015 Jkur

It's a vibration dampener. Some of the early NV241-OR's came with them. Glad my write-up was helpful to you. :cool:

Top Bottom