fuel additives, mpg tips?

Anyone ever use fuel additives to clean injectors or any thing else to keep the engine clean and running smooth? I always wondered if that stuff works or if its just thrown money away. I know you cant expect good mpgs from an off road rig, and mine isnt even my daily driver but im looking to try and figure out how to gain a little more mpgs. 7 years ago i was able to get 12 on the freeway but these days im down to 8-10 :grayno: Nothings changed besides tires. thinking ill replace fuel pump and filter and o2 sensors see if that helps a bit. it does run a little rich and burn some oil in its older age. 2000 v8 wj only about 60k on the engine

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't done so already, I might try changing out your plugs and wires. I would also clean out your throttle body. On my old 2000 TJ, I've tried running a bit of Sea Foam to try and clean things up and, I think it might of helped a bit too.

plugs have been changed, and TB I clean about once a year including all the intake sensor and tps. I have been contemplation sucking a little sea foam threw a vacuum line. I head that it could destroy seals and gaskets on an older vehicle tho and actually cause leaks. every heard of that before? I think ill try a litttle, thanks for reminding me about it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
plugs have been changed, and TB I clean about once a year including all the intake sensor and tps. I have been contemplation sucking a little sea foam threw a vacuum line. I head that it could destroy seals and gaskets on an older vehicle tho and actually cause leaks. every heard of that before? I think ill try a litttle, thanks for reminding me about it!

I have heard that and would imagine it would be true on older vehicles that have NOT been maintained. If you've been good about taking care of your rig, I would think it'd be okay for you to do.

zip04

I use Sea Foam about every 3000 miles or so. It help a lot in my opinion, not with MPG, but in keeping things clean.

Tabers

Sea foam seemed to help my Jk... it had 68K miles when I got it ... No problems afterwards...

Brankz

I'm not 100% sure but is not good because the gunk thank comes off may block your lines. But I'm not sure that's what my friend told me with my old car

Ben-0

Sea foam is not a waste of money by any means...I live on a farm and we have one of the first bob cat skid steers, it will not run unless sea foam is mixed in the gas, I use it in all my vehicles sporadically...did a full treatment on my 1976 Cherokee chief when I first got it seemed to clean it right up, better mpg and sounded smoother...man did it smoke for a couple minutes haha

billybob990

I was having problems at the fuel rail with some build up in the injectors, I bought some gumout fuel system cleaner and the rough idle cleared up after one tank of gas

I have always used Berrymans B-12 in my vehicles. My pops was a mechanic and he swore by it. JMHO, just my humble opinion.

kornchip

I use lucas oil injector cleaner and higher octane fuel after every oil change, I also use the purple stuff for my oil changes. not sure if it makes a dent but i sure do feel good afterwards.

I use lucas oil injector cleaner and higher octane fuel after every oil change, I also use the purple stuff for my oil changes. not sure if it makes a dent but i sure do feel good afterwards.

Royal Purple is the shiz, that's all I use on my oil changes. Expensive but you get what you pay for IMO.

cas770

One of my buddies has a 2002 TJ and he was looking to increase MPG as well. I don't know what your looking to spend but my buddy changed his plugs and wires with factory products and the major expenditure was the purchase of a snorkel system. He said he gained 3-4 mpg.

leximann

Anyone ever use fuel additives to clean injectors or any thing else to keep the engine clean and running smooth? I always wondered if that stuff works or if its just thrown money away. I know you cant expect good mpgs from an off road rig, and mine isnt even my daily driver but im looking to try and figure out how to gain a little more mpgs. 7 years ago i was able to get 12 on the freeway but these days im down to 8-10 :grayno: Nothings changed besides tires. thinking ill replace fuel pump and filter and o2 sensors see if that helps a bit. it does run a little rich and burn some oil in its older age. 2000 v8 wj only about 60k on the engine

What size tires did you get? Just curious..

Top Bottom