What food do you take on the trail?

jhires

What food do you take with you out on the trail.
When I wheeled with my kids we used to wrap hotdogs up in foil and put them on the manifold (xj - 4.0L) . By lunch time, they'd be nice and hot. Also did burritos and a can of soup once but always went back to the hotdogs. Bread, peanut butter and jelly for on the trail PB&Js were a good standby. We also took lots of water and Gatorade.

What do you take with you on your day trips?
What about overnight?

FrankenJeeper

If its for just the day, usually just pack some sandwiches, one time we picked up a couple Taco Bell taco 12 packs for a night ride. If its a 2-3 day ride/camping trip, then it's all out cooking on the trail. TheCheaperJeeper is our designated cook, maybe he'll chime in here at some point.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rascal3

It's MRE's for my group, my kids complain about it sometimes but I tell them if they are good enough for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines they are good enough for you.:thumb:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Tri-tip, lobster, t-bone, sparkly water and caviar. You know the works...

:cheesy: LOL just kidding sandwiches, chips, poweraid and water is what I bring.

Ray ⛺

Holeshot

Banned
Sandwich (often one more in case the f*ck factor happen and we have to stay longer), salted cheeze, chips, lot of water/gatorade, chocolate bar, pudding..

Serg5000

On day trips it can range from sandwiches to last nights leftovers. We also bring pasta salads or potato salad. My girl is a little pickier than I am so she makes some rather interesting stuff I think is called cuscus with lemon, tomato and cucumbers. We don't normally eat hot foods for lunch on the trail. Fruit nuts and some chocolate goes without saying.

Overnighters we cook just like if we were home. It could be steaks or chicken Alfredo. Most of the time We make sure and prep the meal at home so all we do is cook out on the trail. Having an ARB fridge really gives us the option to do basically whatever.

By the way I like the hot dog idea.

xflstl

fluffernutters and Mnt Dew!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year lunch on Golden spike

fluffernutter.jpg

Last edited:

jhires

By the way I like the hot dog idea.

I've only had a couple problems with the hotdog thing. First was not wrapping it well enough, the plastic melted and the whole thing made nasties all over the engine compartment. A different time, it came dislodged from where I put it so we had cold-dogs that day. :)

Do a Bing image search on "Manifold Burrito". Ive heard of people doing baked potatoes on longer trips.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
ok, time for a fat-guy response:
Day Run-
Depending on where we are going, Bravo Burgers or Split a breakfast burrito in the morning with the wife, usually the night before we will pick up a Subway sub for lunch that way we each get what we want. On the way home usually stop at a decent restaurant with the group.

More than one day-
before dinner we put out different salami’s, cheese, crackers, shrimp dip, shrimp cocktail, etc.
then ... we are known to throw down tri-tip, pollo asada & carne asada tacos, mega-burgers, shrimp, chili, etc. with all the fixin’s. In the evening we make apple and pear dumplings over the fire and now that we have an ARB fridge we will be adding ice cream to top the dumplings with. Oh, and we do this all for the entire camp. Its something that “ramin”, “JeepFan”, "Rancho Rubi”, and myself absolutely love to do and makes it so the rest of the camp doesn’t have to mess with it.
For breakfast we do polish sausage, eggs, and potato breakfast burritos and throw in the leftover meat from the night before.

FAT GUYS RULE!!! :rock:

IMG_8634_zps6d35d8c6.jpg

Last edited:

gouacats

We usually keep it simple. Cheese, salami and crackers for lunch plus a few snacks. Overnighters I generally use my jetboil and do something freeze dried for dinner. Breakfast is usually some burritos...also freeze dried. I hate cleaning up and I want something fast! The jetboil works great for me!

RockyJk

ok, time for a fat-guy response:
Day Run-
Depending on where we are going, Bravo Burgers or Split a breakfast burrito in the morning with the wife, usually the night before we will pick up a Subway sub for lunch that way we each get what we want. On the way home usually stop at a decent restaurant with the group.

More than one day-
before dinner we put out different salami’s, cheese, crackers, shrimp dip, shrimp cocktail, etc.
then ... we are known to throw down tri-tip, pollo asada & carne asada tacos, mega-burgers, shrimp, chili, etc. with all the fixin’s. In the evening we make apple and pear dumplings over the fire and now that we have an ARB fridge we will be adding ice cream to top the dumplings with. Oh, and we do this all for the entire camp. Its something that “ramin”, “JeepFan”, "Rancho Rubi”, and myself absolutely love to do and makes it so the rest of the camp doesn’t have to mess with it.
For breakfast we do polish sausage, eggs, and potato breakfast burritos and throw in the leftover meat from the night before.

FAT GUYS RULE!!! :rock:

View attachment 19166

That just made me hungry haha :thumbup:

Top Bottom