Cobra 29 CB Radio Jeep JK Wrangler Installation Write-Up

hbkid22

There's two "grounds" to consider:

The black wire that goes to the radio itself is a ground for the power supply. There are grounding studs in the cab (down past the door, below the dash).

The antenna also needs to be grounded, but the particular method you use to do that will depend on how and where you mount it.

'14 JKU, Billet.

Got it. That makes sense....I have to figure out where to mount it first. Want to mount on the rear but need to figure out a mount that will work with the setup I have....

Thanks.

Smeddy343

Extension

If I want to mount my radio above my rear-view, I need an extension for my coax...Any idea how much of an extension I need and where to get one?

hbkid22

If I want to mount my radio above my rear-view, I need an extension for my coax...Any idea how much of an extension I need and where to get one?

You can just buy a new 18' coax firestik FME for under $20. Just ordered one off of amazon for $17.

I bought an 18' firestik coax, but for the 4dr it wont reach... I have ran it to my A pillar...

I have a 4 door and used the 18 foot coax and have a little to spare.... I ran it from the tailgate via the roll bar to over the mirror with no issues.

Smeddy343

Swr

Lastly, I installed the Teraflex CB mount for my JK with my firestik II antenna...I can't seem to find the answer on the forum, but do I need to ground the mount or not? My SWR is reading 1.3-1.5 without a ground...

Lastly, I installed the Teraflex CB mount for my JK with my firestik II antenna...I can't seem to find the answer on the forum, but do I need to ground the mount or not? My SWR is reading 1.3-1.5 without a ground...

1.5 and below should be fine

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I have a 4' firestik firefly and love it. It's tailgate mounted and sticks up about 14" over my roof. The antenna did not include the coax or the stud. I used a firestik fire ring 18' coax on my 2door jk. The fire ring has a nice solid connector for the stud to mount on. Here you can see the ring at the bottoms of the mount, and the stud below the antenna.

View attachment 39820

what kind of mount is this?

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
so my coax cable i purchased didn't come connected :doh: the direction that are provided are very unclear and i am not sure how to connect it. also it is telling me that i need to solder it, i have no idea how to do that.
can someone assist me with some better direction?
coax.jpg

toys4rocks

When I installed my Tera flex Antena mount I machined off the powder coat around the bolt holes so the bolts would contact the metal and ground it thru the tail gate, then when it was all done I hit it with some black paint to seal it.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
so my coax cable i purchased didn't come connected :doh: the direction that are provided are very unclear and i am not sure how to connect it. also it is telling me that i need to solder it, i have no idea how to do that.
View attachment 115741

I do not understand what the 3/8"x 1/2" bolt is for? if I am looking at that right.:thinking:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
View attachment 115741

look at picture I am trying to get an idea of the connector. Is the connector 2 pieces? Can you take a picture inside? Is there a compression fitting?

parts.jpg

trailless

Caught the Bug
The bolt is for the other end of the cable, with the circle connector. Where you connect the antenna. It passes through the mount of choice and screws into the antenna.

I'll let someone else comment on the other pieces as I don't have that specific cable.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
This YouTube video was helpful for me. Hopefully it helps you as well!
http://youtu.be/qPlcT9SXNPs
that helps a ton! thank you

I do not understand what the 3/8"x 1/2" bolt is for? if I am looking at that right.:thinking:
yeah i didn't understand what the 3/8 x 1/2 bolt was for either. if it is for the circle end of the coax cable it seems like a waste for when i have to buy the coaxial termination for antenna mount isn't that going to come with one too?

look at picture I am trying to get an idea of the connector. Is the connector 2 pieces? Can you take a picture inside? Is there a compression fitting?
View attachment 115758
WOW this is amazing! thank you so much for taking the time to do this! here is a picture of the inside. let me know if you need any others? also A and B are 2 pieces.
coax 1.jpg

Top Bottom