Cobra 29 CB Radio Jeep JK Wrangler Installation Write-Up

sean.m.adams33

Did your coax have a nylon insert where the stud connects? I seen the nylon ring on top in your pic, if it has a lip it needs to face the mount plate. If there is another insert like used in the fire ring the lip there also needs to face the mounting plate

Just the one nylon washer and the lip is toward the mounting plate.

Tackerdown

Banned
You have a thick mounting plate , you may need to compress that nylon washer more. The antenna may not be making contact. uploadfromtaptalk1378851193376.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378851205071.jpg
In the pics it shows how the inside reaches closer to the antenna as you screw it in.
Sent from my SPH-L720

Ldogg

What does the cable that the antenna plugs into? Also your sure the mount is grounded right?

Tackerdown

Banned
I tried it without that nylon washer all together. Same results. It's very frustrating

That will cause your antenna to ground out and give you the high swr readings , not good. Are you sure the hole is large enough that its not grounding the antenna? Thats the reason the washer has the lip on it n to prevent it from touching the sides.

Sent from my SPH-L720

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you sure your tuning it right? Your turning the calibration all the way up then moving to SWR and adjusting it right?

Tackerdown

Banned
^^^ if not what OL said it really sounds like you have something wrong with the isolation of the antenna itself or the mount doesn't have a good ground. Your cb is grounded good also isn't it?

Sent from my SPH-L720

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
^^^ if not what OL said it really sounds like you have something wrong with the isolation of the antenna itself or the mount doesn't have a good ground. Your cb is grounded good also isn't it?

Sent from my SPH-L720

You could just run another wire to somewhere on the frame and try it. That will tell you if it's a ground issue as well.

Tackerdown

Banned
If none of this works id pull the antenna and ground the base part of it where the cable connects to with some gator clip jumper wires and see if it works. He may even have a bad cable.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Ldogg

If none of this works id pull the antenna and ground the base part of it where the cable connects to with some gator clip jumper wires and see if it works. He may even have a bad cable.

Sent from my SPH-L720

I ended up nicking my cable in the tailgate and that caused it to short out. I also accidentally had my firestik get caught on the garage door one day and it bent it all the way back breaking it inside the wrapping. I had to replace both the cable and antenna.

sean.m.adams33

All great suggestions. I am calibrating it just as the directions say. And as you are saying. I will try the ground wire and inspect my coax cable for nicks tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help everyone!

tkkim

Hi eddie.

I'm about to get cb radio which is exactly same as yours.

so I look through your write-up and it is really help me but i have few questions

First so did you concoct with car battery as power your cb radio not using cigar jack power port?

second what is the name of coax antenna cable? I tried to find it but amazon show just regular cable which is both side is cable plug? some.

thanks!

loscann48

Had my cobra 29 lx le installed above the dash on the rugged ridge organizer. Didn't mind it there, buy was concerned as warm weather approaches. Today I had to removey center console to replace my e-break and noticed some room. I cut the bottom out of the locking storge and was able to slide it in. The screws that hold it in are hidden under the console, so you have to break the console open to break it out of you want to steal it. Not fool proof, but a lot more work for someone looking for a quick grab. I will be wiring in a extension for the mic plug, that way I can plug my mic into then dash or console someplace that's more convenient than under the are rest. It takes up about have the storage, but most of what I had in there wasn't all that valuable. Gained some more piece of mind when parking topless and/or doorless. Here's a quick look, before installing in the jeep. I will update photos when I wire in the external speaker and remote mic plug in. 1395885867347.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OC JK

Has anyone done this in a post 2011 interior with the new center dash? Can anyone think of a way to maybe adapt Eddie's write up for the newer top?

hbkid22

How long did the install take? Just trying to gauge if I have the time to do this myself or not......And the write-up makes it look too simple....Is it as simple as it looks?

cddye

How long did the install take? Just trying to gauge if I have the time to do this myself or not......And the write-up makes it look too simple....Is it as simple as it looks?

I'm nowhere near "experienced" in terms of automotive electronics and other handyman style things, and I still pulled it off in about three hours with the wires concealed, and everything working correctly the very first time. This guide is awesome, but be aware that if your JK is 2011 or newer, some of the dash architecture is a little different.

'14 JKU, Billet.

hbkid22

I'm nowhere near "experienced" in terms of automotive electronics and other handyman style things, and I still pulled it off in about three hours with the wires concealed, and everything working correctly the very first time. This guide is awesome, but be aware that if your JK is 2011 or newer, some of the dash architecture is a little different.

'14 JKU, Billet.

Thanks for the response. I will have to give it a try and see how it goes.

hbkid22

One last question....Do you also need to ground the antenna when you install that or only the ground up at the front passenger seat? I have seen other articles where they talk about grounding the antenna/mount?

cddye

One last question....Do you also need to ground the antenna when you install that or only the ground up at the front passenger seat? I have seen other articles where they talk about grounding the antenna/mount?

There's two "grounds" to consider:

The black wire that goes to the radio itself is a ground for the power supply. There are grounding studs in the cab (down past the door, below the dash).

The antenna also needs to be grounded, but the particular method you use to do that will depend on how and where you mount it.

'14 JKU, Billet.

Top Bottom