700 miles for the perfect wave

davantalus

Two years ago I was searching for really good adventure videos and found Cindy's Rubicon film. It blew me away. If you've never really looked, just take my word for it, movies like "A legendary Jeep trail..." don't grow on trees in ANY genera.

I've been exploring my surroundings for about 5 years now and particularly love being underground - I explore abandoned mines. And I'm a caver. I'm a pretty respectable canyoneer. My friends and I... we drive lots. I'm still piloting a 1991 Lincoln Towncar. It's odometer failed at 346k miles. That was like 4 years ago. :shock: Literally everything had broken on my noble steed. It's been time to put her out to pasture since last summer's third trip to Zion. :yup:

Old and Broke, back in the day. My Towncar circa 2002 on CA-1
highway1.jpg

So how am I being so adventurous you ask? Typically we took one of my buddy's trucks out to the desert. Problem was, I really didn't want a Tacoma or something "sensible". I mean I really wanted a Corvette, but that's entirely unpractical for pretty much everything I love.

A familiar looking mine.
reward.jpg

Last month I "got stuck" with a Wrangler rental instead of the full-sized SUV I reserved down in Baja. Three days later I realized my quest was over.

An unloved rental JK Sport west of Loretto BCS. Poor gearbox. Abused tires.
sanjavier.jpg

By March 27 I'd read every post on wayalife and memorized the steps to every key dance. After literally days of preparation, yesterday I drove from Los Angeles to San Jose and bought "perfect" Rubicon.

New hotness! My 2013 JKUR on CA 46 between Paso and Cambria:
highway46.jpg

Hopefully all this effort means I'll be able to see a bit more of stuff like this:

Panamint City at sunset. An easy walk up Surprise canyon.
panamint.jpg

And just maybe let me continue having "fun" in "local" caves.
midnight.jpg

So anyway, I'm 3 for 4 on waves today, and there's a jeep in my driveway. And that makes me pretty happy. :standing wave:

davantalus

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Wayalife. You are going to love your JKUR. Any plans on mods?
I've got a huge spreadsheet that needs another 160 hours of work, and a few interns to scour Cragslist.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. :)

Also, I'm starting to get the feeling that we all pilot bug destroyers. Entire civilizations of winged insect perished during my roadtrip.

TheDuff

In your first post u mention Zion, do u happen to be referencing Zion national park near ceder city Utah? I happened to be passing by there now as we head home from moab. I read your first post and saw the word Zion just after I passed a sign on the highway that said Zion, freaky:what:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom