Who likes to go fast!?!?

FeltsYouUp

So I'm just wondering how many of you guys have tried any sort of "high speed" dirt road runs. Here is AZ I see prerunner style trucks everywhere, and I know a few people who are into that sorta thing. I've played in the mud and on the rocks a little, but my JK is still stock so I don't think it would like the higher speed bumps as much as a modded tacoma would. I want lift my jeep up and sit it o some 35s, with gussets of course, but I'm curious how the little dana 30 would hold up to that sort of thing. By no means would it be something I did on a regular basis, but it would be cool to get out with those guys from time to time.

TwtPunk08JK

I'm currently running 37's on an Dana 30 and survived EJS '13 to include Hells Revenge, Flat Iron, Poison Spider, and Hotel Rock. I know I'm on borrowed time, but you should be good on 35's.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

ok ill give an actual responce other than my first thoughts based on the thread title!

What year JK do you have and what gears are/will you be running? The three major weaknesses you will have in a D30 is...

1- The R&P is smaller than a D44 with taller and thinner teeth. But if you are in a 2012+ JK, and/or dont plan to go over 4.56, you shouldnt have problems as long as you dont go over 35's.
2-The axle shaft spline count is less, which equals weakness compared to the D44, but again with a 35 it shoudnt be a real big issue
3-The Inner Knuckle(or C) but thats the same whether you have a D44 or D30 and you WILL need to gusset that either way.

So in my tremendously amateur experience, stay 4.56 or lower on your D30 gears, gusset your c's and GIVE ER HELL HERMAN!!! :yup:

Skirmish

The pin at the top of the rear shocks is a big weak point for going fast. You will want external reservoir shocks anyway as the speed will cause other shocks to overheat and fade. Another thing to consider would be keeping the weight down. Heavy bumpers, winch, passengers will all increase stress on the Jeep. Air bump stops would be a good upgrade.

If you do launch it there is a good chance you will bend a d30 or a d44. They really aren't made to take jumps.

jelliott076

I'm currently running 37's on an Dana 30 and survived EJS '13 to include Hells Revenge, Flat Iron, Poison Spider, and Hotel Rock. I know I'm on borrowed time, but you should be good on 35's.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Time for Gussets and sleeves my friend. Borrowed time can get expensive if those 37's decide to bend/break an axle. I gusseted up my D44's for a reasonable cost. The added protection is worth the money.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Punk, do a search on this forum for D44's.. There have been quite a few people offering up their D44's out of their rigs. It was scarce for a while, but in the last couple weeks there have been many being offered.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Dave_g

Punk, do a search on this forum for D44's.. There have been quite a few people offering up their D44's out of their rigs. It was scarce for a while, but in the last couple weeks there have been many being offered.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

paychex.308 bought them all :cheesy:

FeltsYouUp

ok ill give an actual responce other than my first thoughts based on the thread title!

What year JK do you have and what gears are/will you be running? The three major weaknesses you will have in a D30 is...

1- The R&P is smaller than a D44 with taller and thinner teeth. But if you are in a 2012+ JK, and/or dont plan to go over 4.56, you shouldnt have problems as long as you dont go over 35's.
2-The axle shaft spline count is less, which equals weakness compared to the D44, but again with a 35 it shoudnt be a real big issue
3-The Inner Knuckle(or C) but thats the same whether you have a D44 or D30 and you WILL need to gusset that either way.

So in my tremendously amateur experience, stay 4.56 or lower on your D30 gears, gusset your c's and GIVE ER HELL HERMAN!!! :yup:

Right now I have a stock 2012 JKU with 3.73s. I would like to put some lower gears in it, but if I decide I want to step it up in the future, I might just save my money and put it towards a 44 up front and lockers all around.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm not lookin to do anything too crazy, but if I get a little too excited and break something, then that just means it's time to upgrade! :yup:

StrizzyChris

Right now I have a stock 2012 JKU with 3.73s. I would like to put some lower gears in it, but if I decide I want to step it up in the future, I might just save my money and put it towards a 44 up front and lockers all around.

I have 4.10's with my 35's and no problems at all, and to be honest cant really tell a difference in performance loss unless at altitude AND going up a mountain side. I dont have the 3.73's but I believe Overlander does, and he has said that he is happy with them and his 35's. AEV Procal and see if it is enough for you. If so, keeping your 3.73's vs upgrading to 4.88's will help maintain strength in your R&P.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm not lookin to do anything too crazy, but if I get a little too excited and break something, then that just means it's time to upgrade! :yup:

I have 4.10's with my 35's and no problems at all, and to be honest cant really tell a difference in performance loss unless at altitude AND going up a mountain side. I dont have the 3.73's but I believe Overlander does, and he has said that he is happy with them and his 35's. AEV Procal and see if it is enough for you. If so, keeping your 3.73's vs upgrading to 4.88's will help maintain strength in your R&P.

Yup I have 3.73's and 35's on my '12. It does fine and what Chris said, it has performance loss at altitude.

I am not going to gear this axle or do anything besides gusset it because I will just put all that extra money toward a ProRock for the front.

FeltsYouUp

Yup I have 3.73's and 35's on my '12. It does fine and what Chris said, it has performance loss at altitude.

I am not going to gear this axle or do anything besides gusset it because I will just put all that extra money toward a ProRock for the front.

That's pretty much my line of thinking. If I don't trade the jeep for a mustang, then I'll just go all out and save my money for a prorock 44. I think a lot of it will depend on where I get stationed next. I'm reenlisting during my deployment, so I'll be paying my jeep off when I get back and hopefully I'll get some orders sooner rather than later. Decisions decisions...:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom